05-26-11, 11:54 PM   #1
Myke916
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Need Help Building a Queue

ive been trying to build a queue for my addon, no luck...

supposively the programming work that i have done so far, is like talking to a mirror.... the code is supposed to be the same for each addon, but two players are supposed to run it, the script doesnt talk to eachother it talks to itself... weird... but! it does work 30%

What it is supposed to do, is this:

you get 10 people running the addon, 1 person takes lead, and shuts down all the other 9... but, not completely... just addon:UnregisterEvent("guild_chat_msg") and while that one event is dissabled, the addon's script scans for the lead users online status(on the addon channel), so when they log off... any one of the 9 can assume lead....

ive described it in 5-6 lines.. cant write it in 20 lines, in fact i think last time was 80 lines...

ive written this code 3 times, and failed 3 times.. seems very complicated...

could use a little help...

Last edited by Myke916 : 05-27-11 at 04:05 PM. Reason: removed souce, scan down for 4th attempt
05-27-11, 12:16 AM   #2
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Didn't you post this on Wowace and mentioned you're testing it on a private server? I could have read wrong, but the thread over there was closed.

Are you testing it on live now?

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."
05-27-11, 12:32 AM   #3
Myke916
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Decabah View Post
Didn't you post this on Wowace and mentioned you're testing it on a private server? I could have read wrong, but the thread over there was closed.

Are you testing it on live now?
NO... that was all a HUGE MISUNDERSTANDING.... i was talking about wowbench... a testbench software..... we were talking about style and coding programs, and that stupid word came up... im not even going to say it... in fact i allready forgot....

next question...

Last edited by Myke916 : 05-27-11 at 12:35 AM. Reason: not to be rude... or anything... id rather not remember and watch it happen again!! LMAO..
05-27-11, 12:34 AM   #4
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Jinkies.

Just asking.

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."
05-27-11, 12:43 AM   #5
Myke916
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

lol...

i kno... but ummmm... i really do need help with this....

any suggestions?

my next help question is gonna be about transmitting tables thru the addon channel.... im sure i could figure that out... but its gonna be crazy...

what would really help my current situation, How can i give an addon a CONCREET name that is a variable decided by both addons... and it cannot be changed!? until relog or reloadUI ???
05-27-11, 01:54 AM   #6
Myke916
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

ok... finnallly made some progress.... just need'd to distinguish the characteristic of the queue a little better... as in:

add to queue

move forward in queue

reset queue

then---> queue function --> function of queue...

damn...!
05-27-11, 03:02 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Myke916 View Post
NO... that was all a HUGE MISUNDERSTANDING.... i was talking about wowbench... a testbench software..... we were talking about style and coding programs, and that stupid word came up... im not even going to say it... in fact i allready forgot....

next question...
Technically, you're referring to two different threads. The wowbench thread was not closed. The one where you said you were running your own private server to test your addon was closed. And I said that I would close threads here having to do with private servers (even coding on private servers).

As you yourself haven't mentioned it yet, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you wised up and are coding/testing the legitimate way - the way that the rest of us do. But the moment that private servers get brought up, or if it is revealed that you're still using one, this thread will need to be closed as well.

In the meantime, I have moved your thread to the correct forum.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-27-11, 03:20 PM   #8
Myke916
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
And I said that I would close threads here having to do with private servers (even coding on private servers).
i wont even say that "p" word anymore, thats how serious i am...

were running your own private server to test your addon was closed
and i specifically said, i am not running a private server (i hate them also, wow rules..), it was a missunderstanding about using the software to testbench... before going public... i do not have a server in my basement if that is what you are saying... it was a way of saying using emulation to testbench... and then i even asked the moderator that froze my thread if i could decompile that software, and build a testbench program that would be safe.. IE: not connect to the networks and send and recieve client server code, just run locally on the client and stay on the client for BENCHTESTING... and add'd to say, that it probly would still be against blizz's eula. it was never about running a server... and if you go back to that thread and read it you will specifically see the words "DOUBLE EDGED SWORD" .... and then the post gets frozen cause someone jumped to the conclusion that i was running a server... i never said anything like that!!

Now this is the 5th time someone has said i am running a server, WHICH I AM NOT! can we PLEASE stop talking about this now that i have try'd to clear things up... im trying to be nice so i dont get banned...

i am truely an honest person that is trying to produce an idea that no-one has seen before... im contributing to the team, someone may find my software valuable like i did... IN fact, i have had requests for my addon in other languages allready... and 50 downloads a day is pretty good if u ask me.. i dont have the time or resources to run a server anyways... the cost of ocx beyond my budget.. and i wouldnt pay for hosting...

(i hate discussing this... cause im different from most people i know, it takes a while for people to understand me, and when they do see my point... if they choose to understand it... they then realize that there is many ways to get a single job done... kinda like how a dictionary has one word that means 100 different things... i dont have to explain this but i will share.. i was kinda autistic growing up, so i kinda live in a bubble world that is only familiar to me, alien to others.... i do things differently, maybe not the way they should be done, but it gets done, and its something that everyone can learn from, believe it or not! ok, yes i do need help with puctuation, but that just emotion in word form...)

Last edited by Myke916 : 05-27-11 at 03:55 PM.
05-27-11, 07:46 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I work with and teach autistic and asperger kids every day - I know about the bubble you speak of. We'll discontinue the above topic.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Need Help Building a Queue