03-03-08, 05:54 AM   #1
robthedude
Don't Panic

Allakhazam...

seems to be down... has been all morning, is this a regular occurrence?

03-03-08, 06:27 AM   #2
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[see below]

Last edited by Layrajha : 03-03-08 at 04:32 PM.
03-03-08, 06:29 AM   #3
robthedude
Don't Panic

waaaaait... huh?

03-03-08, 07:23 AM   #4
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

[see below]

Last edited by Layrajha : 03-03-08 at 04:32 PM.
03-03-08, 09:07 AM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Here we go again....

Perhaps Cairenn would like to grace us with a link to that post from a long time ago. Contrary to what is posted in that first link, IGE does NOT own Thottbot, Allakhazam, WoWHead, etc. This is what happens when non-lawyers read legal documents and find what they want to see instead of what is actually there.

To answer the question, Allakhazam is likely down due to the same problem that has been hitting them a few days ago: They had been getting hit with an extremely large DDoS resulting in them transmitting nearly 6Gb/sec. At one point (I don't know if this is still true) their ISP shut down their service in attempts to quell the attacks. I don't know if this has been resolved.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 03-03-08 at 09:09 AM.
03-03-08, 09:29 AM   #6
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Ah, I'd like to read something more proper than a blog post as well. Reading more or less coherent rumors everywhere gives you an idea of what happens, but it's often easily biased by the one who started it, and you have no way to know in which direction. I'll edit the posts above while waiting for a good link.
03-03-08, 10:49 AM   #7
OrionsByte
A Defias Bandit
Allakhazam has been the target of several DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attacks in the past couple of weeks. It's been down pretty often. They and their ISP are working on the problem, according to posts available when the site was up.
03-03-08, 12:03 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Oh for the love of ... please don't spread rumours and misinformation. The crap about IGE owning Alla's has been spewed around for as long as Alla's has been owned by Affinity Media and it's been proved incorrect time after time after time, since it is incorrect. And please for goodness' sake, don't tell people to go editing their HOST file. If they don't know what they are doing enough to have done it without the express directions, then they shouldn't be messing with it at all. Talk about a good way to mess them up.

In response to the OP, yes Alla's is under another massive DDOS, has been since about 11:30pm cst last night. Shirik is correct, these attacks are large enough that they are pumping 6GB/sec+ in bogus DNS and http requests. Unfortunately, it'll take some time for them to get it handled again. /sigh

/edit For the record, the reason we have Bl0gspot censored is because it has been used a number of times to distribute malware. =/
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-03-08 at 12:23 PM.
03-03-08, 01:12 PM   #9
robthedude
Don't Panic

Thanks Cairenn, everyone, and lets hope they sort it all out soon

03-03-08, 04:38 PM   #10
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

I just emptied my posts above, then. As I said, I hadn't followed the exact story, I was basically as clueless as anyone that reads something that looks huge for the first time, wonders how much of that is true or false, tries check a bit on google and doesn't find much :<

This clarifies things quite a lot. Though, what helped me believing in it at least partially is that a friend from my guild found screenshotted us his ad-aware results, with a keylogger found. He had experienced the annoying "Reduces the browser's window into an alert that tells you to install an antivirus", on wowhead I think (or maybe thottbot). Anyway, everything is clear about the companies, but I'd still be careful about eventual keyloggers (unless there's something that I missed about that too, because obviously, he could have downloaded this keylogger on another site).
03-04-08, 02:44 AM   #11
Amro
A Defias Bandit
Premium Member
That's not good. I was wondering what happened.
03-04-08, 04:29 PM   #12
robthedude
Don't Panic

It's back up! Hooray!

03-05-08, 09:36 AM   #13
OrionsByte
A Defias Bandit
Aaaand... back down again. At least the WoW pages are - the rest of the site seems to be working fine.

Man someone really needs a girlfriend.
03-05-08, 11:22 AM   #14
Broh
A Murloc Raider
maybe you can try another DB site out there. wowdb.com wowhead.com thottbot.com

I don't understand the attraction to Allakhazam. Whatever the case, to each, their own.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Allakhazam...