07-31-09, 04:14 AM   #1
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Buff and Debuff displays...

If there is any one part of nUI that people in general seem to be displeased with, it's the aura displays for buffs and debuffs. That seems to be the one thing people universally want to turn off and replace with something else.

Since I'm going back to the drawing board on nUI 6.0, this is my opportunity to try and address those kinds of issues... so... tell me... what is it about the aura displays you don't like and what would you suggest be done to improve them?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

07-31-09, 04:21 AM   #2
Seer
A Molten Giant
I use the plug in to get it the way it used to be. Have no problems with that setup.

Maybe the space between the debuffs and the action bar could be a bit bigger when using that plug in, but not sure..

Ehm.. What add ons are the people using or wanting to use instead of the system nUI uses btw ? With the default nUI way, maybe an (easy) way to move or resize the debuf display is enough ?

07-31-09, 04:31 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
As lists I used to use Elkhanos Buff Bars to move them to where I want them to be and set up white lists to hold the important ones and place them right where I need them. This was before nUI though. Since nUI I haven't used a buff/debuff addon to display them.

As buttons the blizz ones were too far out of my view space and the nui ones weren't situated where I could easily discern which were mine or the pets as they had no barrier ( which is why I used lists ). As well as less of a description of what the spells were. Hence why I stayed with the lists as the nearest to what I was used to.

I think if we had a few different ways to display them it would help us.

1) Option to display as lists or buttons.
2) Option to move them to where you want.
3) Option to separate timed ones from non timed ones and display/move them independently.
4) Option to blacklist/whitelist certain spells.

But then again this is my wish list and may not be entirely viable.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

07-31-09, 05:38 AM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The biggest thing I miss from other buff/debuff displays the ability to change the width of the display. Having a bar representing the duration of the buff/debuff along with the numerical countdown would be very nice also.

And I agree with the list that Xrystal put together also.

07-31-09, 06:05 AM   #5
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
On this subject, SimpleBuffBars has an interesting option that will automatically detect if you play a physical or magical class, and filter out buffs that don't apply to you. This could be of value to your users.

07-31-09, 07:05 AM   #6
Curumtiny
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
To me as a Death Knight I use Magic Runes Addon mainly for tracking my Frost Fever, Plague, and Unholy Blight. The reason why is it is hard for me to tell which poisons are mine or someone elses on the buff/debuff window of target. I also prefer the list with the name of the spell more then the actual buff aura.

I also like Xrystal used to use Elkhanos buff bar so I got used to it in that format. At first I didn't like how Rez sickness was placed on the hud, and more so the + or - Charge for boss fights where you have that. I actually didn't notice the + or - Sign on the first Thadius raid I went on and caused a wipe. I felt like a bit of a newb for saying the reason why we wiped is because I could not find on where my special UI Put the Charge notification on.

I agree with Xrystal also that we should have some of the stuff that he listed if possible.

07-31-09, 08:21 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, sudden thought. If using the icon only version of the buff/debuff display perhaps have it so the user can decide the grid size to display it as.

EG.
Player Auras - 3 across 21 max
Pet Auras - 3 across 9 max
Target Auras - 3 across 18 max
etc

In other words flexible layout for each aura section.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

07-31-09, 04:40 PM   #8
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

All of these are on the right track in my opinion basically as far as I can tell most people who use lists would like bars included or maybe the option to have them, and the ability to increase or decrease the fonts, width, and height of the lists. White or black list would be nice too, also an option to change timer styles from like say 6m to 6:00. I guess it really depends on how crazy you wanna get with it

By the way curumtiny you should try the simple hud and turn off the health race bar it will leave you with your cooldowns, your debuffs and your debuffs on target(hostile) or your targets buffs(friendly) which eliminates the need to check your unit frame or the debuff list for most situations like applying poisions or seeing the + , - on thadius

07-31-09, 05:39 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post

3) Option to separate timed ones from non timed ones and display/move them independently.
Gonna add to this ^ great list:

5) The ability to skin them (when they're buttons) with ButtonFacade

These would essentially be similar to SBF's, which I would be using if not for the loss of a ton of functionality in nUI (sorry Satrina.. not givin up mah nUI!).

08-01-09, 07:29 AM   #10
Telepavarion
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

First I want to say, that I really like the way nUI displays now buff's and debuffs. But I really would like if I can have a config gui where I can put some of ignored spells. As druid I really doesn't like in a raid to see the moonkin or tree passive buffs. As far I use an old 4:3 monitor so I really don't want to know how the 40 buffs shows on a 16:10 wide screen.
So the list from Xrsytal I really like:

Originally Posted by Xrystal

At the side of the debuffs. I really like the place especially for Thaddius. It's really cool in use with dbm to see on the side of the hud the debuff.
But what I hate at this moment are the Argentum championship debuffs. There are almost 7 beside my hud and that worst thing is, that they are displayed in the raid and party skins.
So I don't know maybe it is an illusion, but I think on an areabased Debuff system. So that I only see at the Argentum championship place the debuffs, only see at Gundrak the debuff of the Eck? (the heroic extra boss, don't know the English name. Maybe corner?). Especially in party and and raid skills.

The reason is I use as healer clique and going over nUI to click and spell my rejunction. As there are the buffs, the spell can go to the player because the frame is in front is the debuff frame.

So maybe another performance better solution is that the debuff frames, are setting behind the player frame, that I can click on the player without any problem.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Thanks for that beautiful addon Scott

and all the others making it so cool.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Buff and Debuff displays...