10-29-09, 08:25 AM   #1
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Borderlands Themed User Interface

Well, after a long break (Haha, one week) From World of Warcraft, I began playing the game 'Borderlands'. I noticed key things that could be used in World of Warcraft that could be used as a User Interface, such as the party frames. Now obviously, this requires a lot of work, so I'm presenting this to the community as more of a concept rather than a request, and seeing if anyone would pick it up.
Honestly, if you think about it, Borderlands is up there with one of the most popular games (at least for the Xbox 360). This User Interface would be well received by the community if made accurate.

Here's a few screenshots of the interface:

If anyone has any feedback or ideas, I'll update the OP as I get more ideas
10-29-09, 10:04 AM   #2
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That's possible with STUF or oUF. You would just need to make the statusbar textures.
10-29-09, 10:12 AM   #3
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Understood, i'm just not that great at LUA coding. Just enough to fix little kinks in my User Interfaces ><
10-29-09, 10:35 AM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
There is no coding involved when you are setting up the Unitframes in STUF By the way lua is not an acronym.
10-29-09, 11:25 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

The most difficult part is creating/extracting the textures (frames/fonts/etc) needed. Once the textures are in a WoW friendly format/dimensions (either Blizzard's .blp or .tga with an alpha channel, in a dimension that is any combo of powers of 2 such as 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512).

Then using existing mods such as Stuf or oUF (for the Unit Frames) and kgPanels (for other attaching to other frames) you can build your Borderlands themed UI. If you use Stuf you do not need any knowledge of Lua.

As the previous poster mentioned it's Lua not LUA. It's a word that is Brazilian in origin from the Portuguese word for "moon". It's not an acronym (like what NASA or the military loves to use).
10-29-09, 12:16 PM   #6
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Force of habit to capitalize LUA D:
I guess i'll give it a shot.

Bah, I need a place to start from.
Can't script a full LUA file on my own.

Last edited by iSylvir : 10-29-09 at 12:21 PM.
10-29-09, 12:47 PM   #7
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Pardon the double post.

I need help with making the textures.
I don't think it's possible in Photoshop, as I opened up a file of a texture and it wasn't what I figured it would look like, but perhaps I'm wrong. If anyone could make these textures, i'd appreciate it, as its one of the final steps in my designing process of this addon. I'm almost done

The textures I need are:
Class Frames
Health Bars
Mana Bars
Experience Bars

Class Frames-
These corespond with the top left corner of the screen shot with the car. You see the three different unit frames and how the squares next to those are.

Health Bars-
Bottom left corner health bar, and the health bars for each person in the party (though I think these are all the same so its no big deal.)

Mana bars-
Bottom right corner, where the ammunition is.

Experience Bar-
Bottom middle, that also needs to be copied

Thanks to anyone who decides to pick this up.
10-29-09, 02:39 PM   #8
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Should be very easy. But I can tell you this is very specific. Like that Fallout 3 theme available in oUF. Far to many people prefer "classic styled" frames over ones like that. Which makes it kinda unattractive to recreate such a look for WoW.
10-29-09, 02:40 PM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by iSylvir View Post
Pardon the double post.

I need help with making the textures.
I don't think it's possible in Photoshop, as I opened up a file of a texture and it wasn't what I figured it would look like, but perhaps I'm wrong. If anyone could make these textures, i'd appreciate it, as its one of the final steps in my designing process of this addon. I'm almost done
OK, I have no idea how Borderline's files are formatted or what image formats are used, however you may want to see if you can crack the game files open and extract the image files. Otherwise someone will have build the textures from scratch based on your (and other) screenshots.
10-29-09, 03:12 PM   #10
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Where's the target? Where do you want to put it? Player bottom left and target bottom right?
10-29-09, 03:47 PM   #11
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

The target wouldn't have a stationary target bar, but instead would be much like Borderlands where it simply hovers over the enemy's head.

And I'm very poor at building textures
Or cracking games for that matter.
10-29-09, 05:22 PM   #12
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I don't think that will properly work with wow. Nameplates have a very short range. And I doubt that getting a targets position via lua and thus showing something over it's head is possible. Guess you need to find a place for the targets bar and auras. WoW is a little more complex.
10-29-09, 05:38 PM   #13
Jagger_
A Murloc Raider
Mana bars-
Bottom right corner, where the ammunition is.
Think the mana bar should go where the shield bar is.. rather than the ammo. Then the ammo could be the target or something.
10-29-09, 09:46 PM   #14
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

/ponders

this seems like it would be a really good community based project I'm just waiting to see if anyone wants to pick up the textures, then i'm going to do the rest.
10-30-09, 02:41 AM   #15
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

The target wouldn't have a stationary target bar, but instead would be much like Borderlands where it simply hovers over the enemy's head.

And I'm very poor at building textures
Or cracking games for that matter.
You would need to create a target frame, however the "target bar" over the enemy's head can be done with a Nameplate mod like TidyPlates or Aloft (in fact this "bar" is an excellent candidate for TidyPlates). With the Nameplates changes in 3.3 (Nameplates can be seen further away, aka max targeting distance) this would be a good idea. Combine the completed plates with another mod (no work need for this combo once the TidyPlate/Aloft setup is complete) called _VirtualPlates (scales Nameplate size based on distance from you), you can fairly closely duplicate the "Target Bar" set up from Borderlands. Again the devil is getting the textures.
10-30-09, 08:46 AM   #16
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Agreed. I plan to have a friend send me over some of the game files to pop open, maybe that'll work. If not, i dread building them from scratch.
10-30-09, 09:55 AM   #17
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

This whole idea sounds interesting.

I do a bit of illustrating and stuff on my spare time. If you end up having no luck obtaining the textures from the game itself, I could probably create some fairly decent quality replicates if you just tell me exactly what you want and how you want it.
10-30-09, 11:11 AM   #18
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Sounds good. I'll see about getting them today, i want this UI done before the end of november. ><
11-01-09, 03:00 AM   #19
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Folji View Post
This whole idea sounds interesting.
This sounds fun for me to do. Sure, it wouldn't be with Lua or anything cause I suck coding wise, but I will get back to you regarding this
11-03-09, 02:53 PM   #20
iSylvir
A Cyclonian

Great, sounds like a deal.
If anyone wishes to contact me outside of WowInterface, in regaurds to this project, my email adress is [email protected]

I appreciate any contributions.
(And i'm also devoting all my time to learning enough Lua to code this myself ><)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Borderlands Themed User Interface