10-22-10, 05:21 AM   #1
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Where does YOUR nickname come from?

Pretty straightforward. Don't think a topic already exists (didn't search) and if it does, it'sp robably too old anyway.

Anyway my name simply comes from Led Zeppelin. But ofcourse having jsut Led Zeppelin is kinda lame imo so I just took Led. The ++ came a bit after that, imo it had a nice look.

Since then I'm hooked on it =(
10-22-10, 05:38 AM   #2
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

My nickname comes from my hunter I used to play in vanilla during that time she was my main character I have since gone through and changed my mains several times, I don't remember how I came up with the name but I like the name alot its unique and last I checked only a handful of queries on wowarmory shared the same name...Shame I dont play my hunter anymore.

- Winston Churchill
10-22-10, 05:54 AM   #3
carebear.
Banned

My surname is care. Most people have called me carebear since I was in school ^_^
10-22-10, 06:22 AM   #4
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Mine's from the first novel I started writing, where the name of the main character was Jigain To'lerean. After I scrapped the project, some of those who had read what I had written thus far began calling me by that name, and... well, it stuck.

Funnily enough, my name is also protected by way of copyright law, being part of an original work of art. All right reserved!

10-22-10, 06:34 AM   #5
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post

Funnily enough, my name is also protected by way of copyright law, being part of an original work of art. All right reserved!
But if you scrapped it, meaning its not public, does that make it copyrightable? (no expert here)

Mine derives from Exuberant, i forgot why I liked it but ive been using it online since '04... Wasn't till later I say a Insulin inhaler named Exubera too... weird eh

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>

Last edited by Xubera : 10-22-10 at 06:39 AM.
10-22-10, 06:53 AM   #6
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I got the name Ferous from my BC main Tauren Druid on Hydraxis server. Though I don't play her no more, I still like the name alot :P

a combining form meaning “bearing,” “producing,” “yielding,” “containing,” “conveying,” used in the formation of compound words: coniferous; pestiferous.
I thought it be a good resto druid name lol.

I started to do interface UI crap when I played Ferous.
10-22-10, 09:04 AM   #7
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Xubera View Post
But if you scrapped it, meaning its not public, does that make it copyrightable? (no expert here)
My lawyer says so at least, apparently an original work is copyrighted at creation and not at publication.

10-23-10, 03:11 PM   #8
FrackMe
A Kobold Labourer
BSG, of course.
10-23-10, 03:19 PM   #9
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by FrackMe View Post
BSG, of course.
Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica!

/nuff said

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
11-03-10, 01:33 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
"Cairenn nic Giolla Coinning" is 11th Century Gaelic. It started out as my name in the SCA 'lo these many years gone, and it just "fit" in the mmorpg world too, so I've been using it here for as long as I've been on-line gaming. It is also the name I use on all of my *Interface.com/MMOUI.com sites.

"Cairenn" - From the Gaelic "cara" + the diminutive "-in" meaning "little friend or little beloved." Caireann Chasdubh ("Cairenn of the Dark Curly Hair") was the mother of the legendary warrior Niall of the Nine Hostages and thus was the maternal ancestor of the high kings of Ireland. Translated to modern day English it is "Karen" (which is my 'real life' first name). While most will tell you that Karen is a derivative of Catherine, there are many that believe that Cairenn is the actual originating name.

"nic" means "daughter of", the same as "mac" means "son of' and "o" means "grandson of" (Now you know where all the MacDonalds and O'Reillys came from )

"Giolla Coinning" translated to modern day English means "Kilkenny", the name of my SCA clan.

Thus fully translated to modern day English, it's "Karen, daughter of Kilkenny" and is my main's name in any given mmorpg. She is always an elven ranger/hunter.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 11-03-10 at 01:41 PM.
11-03-10, 06:17 PM   #11
Freebaser
A Molten Kobold Bandit

I had just watched this video before creating a new character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ckIv1tiaU
11-03-10, 07:26 PM   #12
sevti
An Aku'mai Servant
When I was in high school, I was looking through an online name dictionary for a name for a character in a story; it was defined as "white rose." At first she was just a foster child that climbed trees, caught lizards, and read books. She "grew up" into a woman with a green mohawk who worked in a plant nursery.

So, it was only natural that in WoW, she manifested as a troll herbalist. Sevti was my main raiding in BC, and my guild called me "Sev" for short. All my alts on that server since have had the same prefix. I'd probably respond to it IRL at this point :P

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Where does YOUR nickname come from?