08-06-10, 02:26 PM   #1
Eatshtndie
A Murloc Raider
Lightbulb Another way of display Boss mods' abilities...

Hello everyone!

After I struggled (and I'm not done yet) with DXE, DBM, BW etc. to find the best ergonomic layout to display boss abilities on cooldown, this idea crossed my mind:

Boss abilities are spells.

We do monitor our own spells' cooldown and buffs/debuffs on a target with tones of addons such as SBF, ACB, Forte and so on.
But we also track our abilities' cooldown with addons like CoolLine and SexyCooldowns. Which allow us to have them all displayed as icons with a timer on a same timeline.

You see where I'm going now right?

What if, instead of having all those space wasting cooldown bars as in DXE. DBM and BW, we had one single nicely customised timeline with boss abilities symbolised by their spell icon?

Since I am no .lua coder, I'd like to know it it's technically possible?
Preferably using DXE as base library I guess.

Thank you for your thoughts and support. Let me know if I wasn't clear.

Eatshtndie aka Pancakes (nickname already taken ^^)

Last edited by Eatshtndie : 08-06-10 at 02:44 PM. Reason: title wasn't clear.
08-06-10, 04:34 PM   #2
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So basically a CoolLine or SexyCooldowns that shows boss stuff instead of buffs/debuffs?

Something like DeadBossMods + (CoolLine) or BigWigs + CoolLine.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
08-06-10, 05:25 PM   #3
Eatshtndie
A Murloc Raider
Exactly. Get rid of the bars, keep only icons on a configured timeline like CoolLine / SexyCooldown

Any idea?
08-06-10, 07:22 PM   #4
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Eatshtndie View Post
Exactly. Get rid of the bars, keep only icons on a configured timeline like CoolLine / SexyCooldown

Any idea?
It sounds like a great idea. I would probably use an addon like that. >.< I would program it myself if I weren't already doing like 3 other projects.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
08-07-10, 06:18 AM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
It sounds like a great idea. I would probably use an addon like that. >.< I would program it myself if I weren't already doing like 3 other projects.
I'd code it if I knew how to start :P But, it does sound like a great addon.
08-07-10, 10:10 AM   #6
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Maybe ask Antiarc if he wants to integrade BW data into SCD?
08-07-10, 12:18 PM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

God, something like this would save so much screen space in a boss fight... I love the idea.
08-07-10, 12:26 PM   #8
Guardix
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
God, something like this would save so much screen space in a boss fight... I love the idea.
It sure will, but also CPU intensive, with the OnUpdate function running.
08-07-10, 02:38 PM   #9
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i would definitely use this kinda of addon

Tukui | Github
08-07-10, 02:46 PM   #10
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Guardix View Post
It sure will, but also CPU intensive, with the OnUpdate function running.
Keh? None of the things described would be relatively CPU intensive, OnUpdate usage if fine as long as done properly.
08-07-10, 04:52 PM   #11
Guardix
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Keh? None of the things described would be relatively CPU intensive, OnUpdate usage if fine as long as done properly.
I was thinking of the many 'ClearAllPoints' and 'SetPoints' for each icon, but oh well perhaps it wouldn't be much different than what Coolline and SexyCooldown is already.
08-07-10, 09:27 PM   #12
Unkn
Premium Member

To save real estate on your screen you could do something like this...

Not my code by any means.

You can find the discussion and information HERE. Its a forums thread over at wowace about customizing DBM.

Definately potential to condense DBM for those looking to do so.

I do however love the idea of the CoolLine or SexyCooldowns DBM style. If I knew a bit more I'd love to help with this.
We can always try suggesting it at DeadlyBossMods.com
08-08-10, 11:32 AM   #13
Eatshtndie
A Murloc Raider
It's good to know some people would actually use such an addon! We might attract some coder's intereste.

By the meantime, I'll have a look at this DBM customising forum and .lua of the other mentioned addons, get more info on how to start....
08-08-10, 12:44 PM   #14
Vilkku
An Aku'mai Servant

I haven't checked, but surely it can't be that hard for us to create icons for, say, SexyCooldowns? I don't think it's a good idea to re-create the bar itself, as there are mods that handle that aspect already. We would only need to create something to bridge the gap between BigWigs and SexyCooldowns (or other mods).

The biggest problem I see is to get the information of the icons. The boss mods already has all the needed information, so it would be pointless to try and recreate it. One solution I thought about was to listen to the addon messages sent for synchronization purposes (they still do this, right?).

Interesting idea, I'd use it. Only issue I see is that, when it comes to boss abilities, icons might not be the easiest to recognize. I would have to use some text as well, either the announcement sent by boss mods already, or some kind of text label on the icons.
08-09-10, 03:53 AM   #15
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I would also love to use something like this.
08-09-10, 05:46 AM   #16
Kagaro
A Cyclonian
i think a greater issue is more along the lines of some bosses cast their spells on internal timers that dont have anything todo with the spell cooldowns at all. and do always recast as soon as the cooldown is up. Example: Vile spirits on LK the cooldown is only 5 sec, but he sure as hell doesnt cast it every 5 seconds.
08-09-10, 10:59 AM   #17
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I've noticed that, on those spells, most addons give you the spell's cooldown - a "Watch out, he can now use this ability at any time" warning, instead of a "watch out, he's using it in 5 seconds!" warning.
08-10-10, 01:03 AM   #18
Vilkku
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Kagaro View Post
i think a greater issue is more along the lines of some bosses cast their spells on internal timers that dont have anything todo with the spell cooldowns at all. and do always recast as soon as the cooldown is up. Example: Vile spirits on LK the cooldown is only 5 sec, but he sure as hell doesnt cast it every 5 seconds.
I don't think it's an issue at all. All this addon should do is get rid of the timer bars provided by the boss mod and then create icons on whatever line cooldown mod is being used.
03-24-11, 06:07 AM   #19
kappe
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
hi guys. sorry for bumping, but aura frames is doing that. i'm still testing it, but seems it's working. u can find af here: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/aura-frames/
04-14-11, 04:22 AM   #20
Eatshtndie
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

It just does the job perfectly! If BigWigs gets added (because of its incredible SuperHighlight vocal cooldown option) it will just be incredibly kick ass! But does the job anyway with dbm!

Thanks for reminding me of Aura Frames, tried it a while ago. Only thing is it doesn't seem to support right-click cancel auras while in combat.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Coolline/SexyCD like boss abilities