05-29-07, 09:51 AM   #1
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
Getting Mob coords possible?

Using the GetPlayerMapPosition() is it possible to Type in a Name of anything NPC/Player/Mob and get a rough estimate of its coords? I want to try to make this possible to hunt anything and get coords to it. I have it setup as a Edit Box that you can type in the name of unit, hit a button and itll register its coords in a text plane on the same UI. Just wonderin if anyone would like to experiment and help me out with something like this, even if itll just give me any player coords.

[Edit]: Also to get coords in an instance could one use a 100x100 plane and get coords registered by mathematically calculating your position in transition to the 100x100 plane?

[Edit]: Also another thing, is the closer mob's coords would be displayed and I would need help going about that. Or could expand UI to fit more slots for coords of different mobs, but I think that would take more coding than getting the job would need. also If Mob is dead nil coords and move on to next set.

Last edited by thermitesnipes : 05-29-07 at 10:06 AM.
05-29-07, 10:25 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you haven't yet, read over this page: http://www.wowwiki.com/API_GetPlayerMapPosition
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-29-07, 10:29 AM   #3
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
I have but I wish to artificially create a coord system for instances based on a 100x100 square with a overlay map and a position based on where you start in the instance and how you move. as for the mobs being detected, I suppose you cant unless you apply a variable for "player" to read as Mob name but I dunno. Pooey.
05-29-07, 10:42 AM   #4
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You could see how MobMap does it ??

http://www-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/7190/

Just trying to help
05-29-07, 11:51 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I believe MobMap works like a pre-compiled database.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-29-07, 12:54 PM   #6
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah
I believe MobMap works like a pre-compiled database.

Ahh yes, QFT. It is a database.

And now that i re-read the questions, I see you are looking for a more dynamic type of detection.

Cool idea
05-29-07, 02:16 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

You could look at GPSLib over on files.wowace.com. It is a library whose purpose is to determine coordinates for the player, including inside instances. As far as I know, though, there's no way to get coordinates for a mob other than by standing on top of the mob, or by making a guess based on your position and facing and an estimated distance between you and a mob in front of you.
05-29-07, 04:29 PM   #8
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx
You could look at GPSLib over on files.wowace.com. It is a library whose purpose is to determine coordinates for the player, including inside instances. As far as I know, though, there's no way to get coordinates for a mob other than by standing on top of the mob, or by making a guess based on your position and facing and an estimated distance between you and a mob in front of you.
I was thinking more of for mobs that dont have a definate location I.E (Rare Spawns and Blood Elf Bandits) Say for instance enter an instance click the button and if it returns 0,0 then your rare mob or player isnt there, exit and try again till it returns a coord and you know your rare mob is there. Also in main maps for rare mobs or for traveling mobs. And for finding those horrible to find Blood Elf bandits. lol.
05-30-07, 01:22 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Not possible. If you can't see a mob (literally in view, or able to target it by name), there's no way for your game client to tell if it exists or not. Like I said in my last post, you can only get coordinates for yourself and party members, and the only way to get coordinates for a mob is by standing on top of it (so its coordinates are the same as yours, which is how things like Gatherer and rare-spawn location recorders work), or by standing facing it and estimate its coordinates based on your coordinates and the distance between you and it. I'm pretty sure the fact that you can't directly get coordinates for mobs is an intentional choice on Blizzard's part to prevent the kind of thing you're looking to do.
05-30-07, 01:55 PM   #10
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

MobMap

(too short)

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
05-30-07, 02:09 PM   #11
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
blasphemy.
05-31-07, 08:38 AM   #12
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
MobMap

(too short)
Read the question first...

Anyway, like has already been said, it's not directly possible, intentionally. The best you can do is estimate where it might be, but even that is difficult as you only have a set of bracketed ranges you can use, and on top of that, it could be anywhere within that radius (you don't have to be facing something for it to be in range). Thus, even though you see the mining nodes far before you actually get to them, gatherer will not record it until you've tapped it, for the sole reason that it is far too unpredictable otherwise.

Originally Posted by thermitesnipes
I have but I wish to artificially create a coord system for instances based on a 100x100 square with a overlay map and a position based on where you start in the instance and how you move. as for the mobs being detected, I suppose you cant unless you apply a variable for "player" to read as Mob name but I dunno. Pooey.
The reason this hasn't already been done is because it's impossible. There is no system for getting any coordinates; you can't tell "how you move." If you tried to use that function, it would return nil in an instance.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-31-07, 05:15 PM   #13
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Shirik

blah
It's the closet thing to what s/he wants.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-01-07, 08:25 AM   #14
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
/popcorn
(too short)
06-03-07, 02:19 PM   #15
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Shirik

Anyway, like has already been said, it's not directly possible, intentionally. The best you can do is estimate where it might be, but even that is difficult as you only have a set of bracketed ranges you can use, and on top of that, it could be anywhere within that radius (you don't have to be facing something for it to be in range). Thus, even though you see the mining nodes far before you actually get to them, gatherer will not record it until you've tapped it, for the sole reason that it is far too unpredictable otherwise.

The reason this hasn't already been done is because it's impossible. There is no system for getting any coordinates; you can't tell "how you move." If you tried to use that function, it would return nil in an instance.

One thing I want to comment on is using getting a playter position in an instance. I dont want to use that function, instead create a algorithm to estimate on an interface where you are in an instance. You can use metamap to see a map of an instance but I want a node to show on that interface where you are. for seperate instances you would need a start position for the algorithm to read, and somehow read your movement by the buttons you press and for how long, But it wouldnt only be useful in instances, it could be useful for something else....but im not sure of it yet or if that is even possible...so ok this idea is totally dust.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Getting Mob coords possible?