01-10-14, 11:38 AM   #1
Mazzy_Wow
A Murloc Raider

Is it possible? Creating an addon!

Hi people! I've found this texture and border package which I really like, but it cannot be used anymore since the entire addon wasn't updated... my question is: is it possible to built an addon that uses this textures to skin mi ui?

The folder looks pretty much like this:

"media" and inside it has "textures" and "borders". The lua file inside goes like this:

-- Borders
["borderlight"] = "Interface\\Addons\\i guess my addon's name should be here?\\Media\\Borders\\borderlight1.tga", -- Texture used for ever border, of the UI.
["bordernormal"] = "Interface\\Addons\\_ _ _ I\\Media\\Borders\\bordernormal1.tga", -- Normal border, without any shadows in the texture
["bordercolor"] = { .21, .21, .21 }, -- color of very border of the UI but not: Bartender4.
["backdropcolor"] = { .0, .0, .0, 0.75 }, -- color of most backdrops. 0, = RED, 0, = GREEN 0, = BLUE 0.75 = ALPHA,
}

--Textures
["blank"] = "Interface\\Buttons\\WHITE8x8", -- backdrop texture.
["blank2"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\blank.tga", -- the main texture for all borders/panels
["texture"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\Smoothv2.tga", -- used for all statusbars such as mana bar, health.
["texture2"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \Media\\Textures\\metal.tga", -- used for all statusbars such as mana bar, health.
["shadow"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\textureShadow.tga", -- used for shadow around icons on some textures
["glow"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\glow.tga", -- used for shadow around icons on some textures
["mail"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\mail.tga", -- used for mail icon for minimap.
["textureHead"] = "Interface\\Addons\\_ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\textureHead.tga", -- used for quickie to show/hide helm or cloak.
["textureCloak"] = "Interface\\Addons\\ _ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\textureCloak.tga", -- used for quickie to show/hide helm or cloak.
["textureHighlight"] = "Interface\\Addons\\ _ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\textureHighlight.tga", -- used for quickie to show/hide helm or cloak.
["backdrop"] = "Interface\\Addons\\ _ _ _ \\Media\\Textures\\backdrop.tga", -- blizz backdrop texture.
["lfd"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _\\Media\\Textures\\lfd_role.tga", -- lfd role icon.
["checkbox"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\_ _ _\\Media\\Textures\\ReadyCheck-Ready.tga", -- for checkboxes

How can I make this work? I have no idea about lua coding or programming
01-10-14, 12:08 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Your best bet is to use the LibSharedMedia-3.0 library to make your media (those of the broken addon in this particular case) available to other addons that support that library.

I realize that first sentence might sound like gibberish to a person that has no previous experience with addons but here's how you get started, then you can ask more questions if you get stuck.

1. Download the SharedMedia addon from here: Wowace

2. Extract the .zip file to your AddOns folder like you would install any other addon manually (preserve folder structure)

3. Navigate to \AddOns\SharedMedia\ folder and open the "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia.txt" in a text editor.

4. Follow the steps outlined in that text to make your own media addon and copy those borders / textures etc that you want to use in the appropriate folders.

5. Use an uptodate UI skinning addon to select them from inside the game.
01-10-14, 12:11 PM   #3
Mazzy_Wow
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
Your best bet is to use the LibSharedMedia-3.0 library to make your media (those of the broken addon in this particular case) available to other addons that support that library.

I realize that first sentence might sound like gibberish to a person that has no previous experience with addons but here's how you get started, then you can ask more questions if you get stuck.

1. Download the SharedMedia addon from here: Wowace

2. Extract the .zip file to your AddOns folder like you would install any other addon manually (preserve folder structure)

3. Navigate to \AddOns\SharedMedia\ folder and open the "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia.txt" in a text editor.

4. Follow the steps outlined in that text to make your own media addon and copy those borders / textures etc that you want to use in the appropriate folders.

5. Use an uptodate UI skinning addon to select them from inside the game.
Your words help a lot! Gonna give it a try right now
Another question, what if I want to skin blizzard default frames as well? such as Character Frame or OptionFrame?

Last edited by Mazzy_Wow : 01-10-14 at 12:22 PM.
01-15-14, 11:48 AM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I used to use Skinner, which is around since 2008 or so. It styles all of the default panels

Other popular addons that can skin blizzard default UI are elvui(or tukui) and aurora.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Is it possible? Creating an addon!