12-21-13, 05:32 PM   #1
bonytony
A Fallenroot Satyr

Looking for an addon compilation similar to some out of date or unidentified ones

Sorry if this is the wrong section

I'm looking for a ui as an alternative to RealUI, love it but I wanna switch it up a bit.

There are 2 that I've seen that are great SnailUI and a screenshot of something similar but smaller Here

Not looking for a similar art style or anything, but rather a similar layout. Any help is appreciated!
12-21-13, 08:39 PM   #2
Panzervi
A Defias Bandit

I used nUI for years, until a recent falling out of sorts with the author and wow interface, Ive since moved on to elvUI and absolutely love it. elvUI

12-22-13, 12:17 AM   #3
MoonWitch
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by bonytony View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong section

I'm looking for a ui as an alternative to RealUI, love it but I wanna switch it up a bit.

There are 2 that I've seen that are great SnailUI and a screenshot of something similar but smaller Here

Not looking for a similar art style or anything, but rather a similar layout. Any help is appreciated!
Why not tell us how you play first?

- Do you click your skills, or use key binds (not talking about just 1,2,3, etc)
- Do you prefer your unit frames small, big, centred, on the edge of the screen?
- Also important, do you play on a smaller screen or big one (eg. depending on the machine, I use a different layout since my macbook only has a 15.4 monitor)
12-22-13, 03:27 AM   #4
bonytony
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Why not tell us how you play first?

- Do you click your skills, or use key binds (not talking about just 1,2,3, etc)
- Do you prefer your unit frames small, big, centred, on the edge of the screen?
- Also important, do you play on a smaller screen or big one (eg. depending on the machine, I use a different layout since my macbook only has a 15.4 monitor)
1. Well I use binds for almost everything, 1-0, q-p, and all 12 of my naga keys
2. I like them simple, small, and centered most of the time with a few exceptions (realUI being one)
3. I play on a larger screen but unfortunately it only supports 1366x768

All in all I was looking for a layout very similar to SnailUI's layout. Having everything minimal and in the one place at the bottom looks really nice to me, but because its out of date and doesnt look as good as it could on my resolution it's not an option.

And as a note, elv and tukUI are ok but ive tried them quite a few times, was looking for something a bit more fresh.
12-22-13, 09:25 AM   #5
MoonWitch
A Firelord
If you have any programming experience, I highly recommend oUF.
12-22-13, 02:31 PM   #6
bonytony
A Fallenroot Satyr

If you have any programming experience, I highly recommend oUF.
I have extremely minimal experience in programming, is there a good guide you know of to get started?
12-22-13, 02:48 PM   #7
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by bonytony View Post
I have extremely minimal experience in programming, is there a good guide you know of to get started?
Well if you want to use your own layout it's best to look at the example layouts for oUF or even zork's oUF_Simple

Of course ouf has documentation in each file
12-22-13, 10:03 PM   #8
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Well if you want to use your own layout it's best to look at the example layouts for oUF or even zork's oUF_Simple

Of course ouf has documentation in each file
I was going to work on more docs, but first I gotta figure it all out for myself

Basically, I wanted to make 2 boilerplates (depending on how you look at it) and document from there. But in each element an example is given. So you can actually start a layout. And if you run into a question, or an issue, just post it - usually you'll get a response rather fast.
12-23-13, 02:37 AM   #9
10leej
A Molten Giant

Honestly for our the only thing stopping me from making my own layout is that I literally have no idea where to start. Plus I like the efficiency of modifying the blizzard frames though I admit an ouf layout would be overall nicer to deal with when an issue comes about.
12-23-13, 05:00 AM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Honestly for our the only thing stopping me from making my own layout is that I literally have no idea where to start.
1) Just start by making a frame.
Code:
local function Spawn(frame, unit, isSingle)
    frame:SetPoint("CENTER", UIParent)
    frame:SetSize(100, 25)

local bg = frame:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
    bg:SetAllPoints(true)
    bg:SetTexture(0, 0, 0, 0.5)
    frame.bg = bg
end

oUF:RegisterLayout("10leej", Spawn)
oUF:SetActiveLayout("10leej")
oUF:Spawn("player")
Then add something else to it, like a name:
Code:
    frame.bg = bg

local name = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "OVERLAY", "GameFontNormal")
    name:SetPoint("BOTTOM", frame, "TOP")
    self:Tag(name, "[name]")
    frame.Name = name
end
Then move on to other stuff, like a health bar, power bar, etc.

Plus I like the efficiency of modifying the blizzard frames....
Have you looked at the Blizzard UI code? There's not much efficiency to be found in there.
12-23-13, 08:33 AM   #11
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
1) Just start by making a frame.
Code:
local function Spawn(frame, unit, isSingle)
    frame:SetPoint("CENTER", UIParent)
    frame:SetSize(100, 25)

local bg = frame:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
    bg:SetAllPoints(true)
    bg:SetTexture(0, 0, 0, 0.5)
    frame.bg = bg
end

oUF:RegisterLayout("10leej", Spawn)
oUF:SetActiveLayout("10leej")
oUF:Spawn("player")
Then add something else to it, like a name:
Code:
    frame.bg = bg

local name = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "OVERLAY", "GameFontNormal")
    name:SetPoint("BOTTOM", frame, "TOP")
    self:Tag(name, "[name]")
    frame.Name = name
end
Then move on to other stuff, like a health bar, power bar, etc.

Have you looked at the Blizzard UI code? There's not much efficiency to be found in there.

Well if your just changing the texture and bar sizes its efficient enough for me.
12-23-13, 11:09 AM   #12
MoonWitch
A Firelord
10leej,

I started with oUF_lily as base and worked from there. In the end, I've written several layouts - one better than the other. Though my skills are no way near Phanx'. She's plain good at it. But just like you, we started somewhere.

Don't worry, you don't have to do it. But if you want to, you can - and just ask questions.
12-23-13, 08:57 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Though my skills are no way near Phanx'. She's plain good at it. But just like you, we started somewhere.
I started by deciding I wanted to make interactive stories (Choose Your Own Adventure style) in HTML (complete with MS Paint illustrations... and let's just say art is NOT my strong suit) when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I spent hours every day before and after school (and during lunch) in the computer lab, looking at the source code for web pages and figuring out how it worked. Around this time I also changed my mind from wanting to be a veterinarian when I grew up, to wanting to be a web designer. I did pay my bills with freelance web design for a while in the early '00s, but once the web started moving more and more towards JavaScript-ifying everything, I noped right out of there:

I started writing addons when the author of AnkhCooldownTimer stopped maintaining it, using the same method -- look at the code and figure out how it works. When I look back at code I wrote during TBC, it's pretty horrifying. I'm sure if I'm still programming in Lua 5 or 10 years from now, I'll look back at what I'm writing now and cringe. So, yeah, we all start somewhere, and we are generally not very good when we start. You only get good by practicing and pushing yourself to do better.
12-23-13, 11:43 PM   #14
MoonWitch
A Firelord
I know That's why I stare at code almost every single day, I've taken apart more add ons/apps than I care to admit. I've dabbled in PowerShell, Lua, C++, (I am NOT listing HTML, but php, css, hell even ActionScript etc)
And only for php, mysql, bash scripts and Kylix (which is delphi -> Object Pascal) did I get some training back at school, and I flunked it all. Turns out I hate being told "You can't do this". My repo owns his now!

No seriously, you learn nothing by giving up, sure - it won't all be pretty and awesome code. But, have you looked at your first sites? I still want to slash my eyes out for it. (I made a navigation image that turned all text upside down on hover)
12-24-13, 12:13 AM   #15
Jasmer
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

@OP, you might like FreeUI. TukUI/ElvUI is also nice, and there are various customized layouts floating around out there somewhere.
12-24-13, 12:55 AM   #16
10leej
A Molten Giant

I know That's why I stare at code almost every single day, I've taken apart more add ons/apps than I care to admit. I've dabbled in PowerShell, Lua, C++, (I am NOT listing HTML, but php, css, hell even ActionScript etc)
And only for php, mysql, bash scripts and Kylix (which is delphi -> Object Pascal) did I get some training back at school, and I flunked it all. Turns out I hate being told "You can't do this". My repo owns his now!

No seriously, you learn nothing by giving up, sure - it won't all be pretty and awesome code. But, have you looked at your first sites? I still want to slash my eyes out for it. (I made a navigation image that turned all text upside down on hover)
I made this and quickly gave up after I realized the webhost sucks and only limits me to 4 webpages regardless of how I try to get around it.

@OP if you really wanna try something different you can try my PVP UI
12-24-13, 01:01 AM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

Fortunately, my "old stuff" hard drive failed around 2005, so no, I haven't looked at them in a while. But, even as a 10-year-old I understood that <blink> and <marquee> were not cool, so they definitely could have been worse than they were.
12-24-13, 01:05 AM   #18
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Fortunately, my "old stuff" hard drive failed around 2005, so no, I haven't looked at them in a while. But, even as a 10-year-old I understood that <blink> and <marquee> were not cool, so they definitely could have been worse than they were.
but <marquee> is amazing I use it everywhere!
12-24-13, 01:26 AM   #19
Phanx
Cat.

I'll refrain from posting more cat pictures, but... No. Just say no to <marquee>.
12-24-13, 10:37 AM   #20
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Panzervi View Post
I used nUI for years, until a recent falling out of sorts with the author and wow interface, Ive since moved on to elvUI and absolutely love it. elvUI

It's sad that you took the whole "debate" on IGE, er, I mean, WoWI, kicking nUI - especially since it's still available for everyone that wants it.

I do agree, with you, that ElvUI is another good UI compilation

Marth

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for an addon compilation similar to some out of date or unidentified ones