12-18-09, 07:19 AM   #21
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So basicly if the Minion returns "add 1 to the usercounter of <addonname>" when someone installs an addon and "remove 1 to the usercounter of <addonname>" when someone deinstalls the addon, it's violating privacy?

I think if that's violating privacy you should stop using the internet, because (nearly) every website/server has user statistics that know even more about you than the above system will ever will(IP, OS, browser).

Last edited by nightcracker : 12-18-09 at 07:23 AM.
12-18-09, 07:30 PM   #22
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
So basicly if the Minion returns "add 1 to the usercounter of <addonname>" when someone installs an addon and "remove 1 to the usercounter of <addonname>" when someone deinstalls the addon, it's violating privacy?

I think if that's violating privacy you should stop using the internet, because (nearly) every website/server has user statistics that know even more about you than the above system will ever will(IP, OS, browser).

Yeah, so what's your point? Sure, this website can get the information, but not the general public.

Originally Posted by dynasoft
The cool thing about this graphic is that when people see it, they think their private information (like their city or IP address) is being publicly shown on your Myspace background, layout, blog, or forum, and they think that other people can see their private info! Their first thought is, "hey, how did my IP address get on this website?!", or "why is this website telling people where are live?!" In reality, they are the only one that can see their private info, because the graphic is created in real-time for each person who sees is. When you see the graphic, you will see your IP. When others see the graphic, they will see their IP.

Last edited by Yhor : 12-18-09 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Dropped a line of my opinion. Not relevant.
12-31-09, 05:39 AM   #23
Dødvedkølle
A Kobold Labourer
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
There seems to be two different topics here. The original topic everyone else is discussing, and a completely different one you are trying to bring into it. Lets stick to the original topic.
Funny.. there also seems to be two levels of users here. A bunch of brownnosed kissups who can post and contribute and others who get shot down the instant they say anything. Maybe you should get off of your high leet guy steeds and realize you're really not that cool and important anywhere else than this little internet realm of your own? I came here searching for info and have seen a bit too much of this "fat guy behind his keyboard" arrogance. Is it because you have to stutter and sputter yourselves through an argument in real life that you are such pikhoveder online?

Besides... off topic? Wasn't the topic about tracking and worries about privacy. Arcaica did NOT bring in the subject of privacy, for pete's sake. He just took it a twist deeper... but true enough.. he's probably not one of the gang with fancy titles in his avatar, so a couple of the local dicknitaries immediatle burst another belt buckle huffing and puffing to the rescue of eachother.

Thank god the internet is full of other resources. This one isn't much worth, for sure.
12-31-09, 07:03 AM   #24
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Yeah, so what's your point? Sure, this website can get the information, but not the general public.
Oh no? It's really easy to just adjust that image so that the data gathered doesn't get rendered in the image, but get's saved in a SQL database which can be viewed by the public on www.foobar.com. Not that hard.
12-31-09, 07:27 AM   #25
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Its not only a privacy issue but also information that has no real value as a lot of people aren't using minion at all. This means that you can have one million users but still have only one user shown on the page.

But there could be more information on the web page splitting downloads on new versions, like curse currently have, and average downloads the last days etc.
01-05-10, 06:11 AM   #26
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dødvedkølle View Post
Funny.. there also seems to be two levels of users here.
You're forgetting the 3rd group... the ones who come out of hiding to post for the first time and suffer from rectal cranial inversion.
01-05-10, 06:47 AM   #27
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I have to agree with Arcaica here.

Also...
Petrah, you have no right whatsoever to tell him/her that he/she's oversensitive regarding privacy issues. You have no idea what this person might have been through.
What you're doing right now is defending something that is just plain wrong.
I also think that the personal insults should be left out. Such as "brownnosed kissups" and "the ones who come out of hiding to post for the first time and suffer from rectal cranial inversion.".

The forum rules state: Keep it civil, people.
01-05-10, 09:11 AM   #28
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Dødvedkølle View Post
Funny.. there also seems to be two levels of users here.... blah blah blah I'm a flaming troll
Bye. See ya. Even though people may have conflicting thoughts/ideas, they've still contributed more to the discussion than your useless post. You're sad trolling attempts will not be missed, I assure you.

Originally Posted by Dødvedkølle
No one cares what I have to say? How dare they!!! I'm awesome 1337|\|355!!!
01-05-10, 09:31 AM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Behave people. This thread is getting very much out of control and I won't put up with it. Keep it civil or take a vacation from the site.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-05-10, 10:12 AM   #30
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
I have to agree with Arcaica here.

Also...
Petrah, you have no right whatsoever to tell him/her that he/she's oversensitive regarding privacy issues. You have no idea what this person might have been through.
What you're doing right now is defending something that is just plain wrong.
I also think that the personal insults should be left out. Such as "brownnosed kissups" and "the ones who come out of hiding to post for the first time and suffer from rectal cranial inversion.".

The forum rules state: Keep it civil, people.
You're confusing me with someone else. I didn't tell her anything. I agreed with someone else who said it. Scroll up.

I said two things. I said I agreed (which I am entitled to express), and in another post I requested that she stay on topic. Some pretty nasty stuff was said to me, which was far worse than me telling someone they have their head up their butt.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Extra info for author?