05-19-15, 11:06 AM   #1
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
random freezing in lfr

I was in a LFR today... addon changes made before entering was, replaced DBM and Recount with BigWigs and Skada..

I experienced multiple lengthy lag spikes, which would freeze everything.. for a good 5-8 seconds.

So in between bosses, i swapped out BigWigs & Skada for Recount and <DBM>..

It fixed the lag spikes and freeze ups.

Now before we do the usual, which is... assume I am slandering anyone or anything, I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

If so, what was the primary cause?
05-19-15, 12:53 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've been reading a lot of posts like this lately and I don't think this is specific to just the addons you've mentioned.

As painful as it is, it's good to do a complete reset (deleting saved variables) of addons once in awhile.
05-19-15, 01:05 PM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have players in my raid who consistently experience lag spikes when anyone is using the gamon or millhouse costume.

I've suspected DBM because it monitors monster yells (which the costumes periodically produce), and honestly Recount has been a lost cause for a while now, but I've never been able to pinpoint the problem.
05-19-15, 05:15 PM   #4
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
I would suspect BigWings more, due the lot of updates recently.

Last edited by Resike : 05-20-15 at 05:20 AM.
05-19-15, 05:44 PM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh I see, he was lagging with bigwigs and skada.

I don't use skada, but I do use bigwigs without incident. Every addon listed is used by a large enough number of people that I would expect there to be other reports if this is a common problem.

There could be an interaction with other addons you're running, it could be an issue involving your saved variables, or it could be a complete coincidence because there are a huge number of variables outside of changing those addons when you enter a boss fight in LFR that aren't being accounted for.

You need to determine if it's consistently reproducible, and if so you should disable one or the other and see if it continues to happen.
05-19-15, 07:53 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I would suspect BigWings more, due the lot of updates recenty.
BigWigs gets LOTS of updates and has several active authors handling it.
/edit: my mistake - I read that as "lack" instead of "lot" >< The changes may be found here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/big-wig...13158-release/ But I haven't seen any other complaints about BigWigs lately.

@Tweeker: it may have something to do with default settings in Skada. Perhaps your system requires you to tweak something.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 05-19-15 at 07:56 PM.
05-20-15, 12:48 AM   #7
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Any lua errors ?

Lags might be caused through addons tainting each other.
Skada for example leaks "_" as a global in its current version. This might interact with another addon doing so.
05-20-15, 07:15 AM   #8
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I use Bigwigs and Recount without any problems.

If it happens regulary you could try an addon like:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ddonUsage.html

Would read the whole description to understand some caveats like the shared library thing.
05-20-15, 08:56 AM   #9
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I've been reading a lot of posts like this lately and I don't think this is specific to just the addons you've mentioned.

As painful as it is, it's good to do a complete reset (deleting saved variables) of addons once in awhile.

Yes this was happening after a clean fresh install
05-20-15, 08:58 AM   #10
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I have players in my raid who consistently experience lag spikes when anyone is using the gamon or millhouse costume.

I've suspected DBM because it monitors monster yells (which the costumes periodically produce), and honestly Recount has been a lost cause for a while now, but I've never been able to pinpoint the problem.
MillhouseMute (Sounds like good addon name)

Recount (Lost cause) ?? explain?
05-20-15, 09:00 AM   #11
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Oh I see, he was lagging with bigwigs and skada.

I don't use skada, but I do use bigwigs without incident. Every addon listed is used by a large enough number of people that I would expect there to be other reports if this is a common problem.

There could be an interaction with other addons you're running, it could be an issue involving your saved variables, or it could be a complete coincidence because there are a huge number of variables outside of changing those addons when you enter a boss fight in LFR that aren't being accounted for.

You need to determine if it's consistently reproducible, and if so you should disable one or the other and see if it continues to happen.
Yeah, i don't really know what caused the problem, only what caused the solution, and who knows... this could be the first of all those other posts
05-20-15, 09:01 AM   #12
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Any lua errors ?

Lags might be caused through addons tainting each other.
Skada for example leaks "_" as a global in its current version. This might interact with another addon doing so.
no lua errors.. none
05-20-15, 09:03 AM   #13
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
BigWigs gets LOTS of updates and has several active authors handling it.
/edit: my mistake - I read that as "lack" instead of "lot" >< The changes may be found here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/big-wig...13158-release/ But I haven't seen any other complaints about BigWigs lately.

@Tweeker: it may have something to do with default settings in Skada. Perhaps your system requires you to tweak something.

Well, i just changed the font sizes and window scale from within the options, so i don't think i broke it
05-20-15, 09:04 AM   #14
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Dorwido View Post
I use Bigwigs and Recount without any problems.

If it happens regulary you could try an addon like:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ddonUsage.html

Would read the whole description to understand some caveats like the shared library thing.

Thank you! I was ....jjjuuusssstt about to ask for an addon profiler

<<< EDIT AFTER DOWNLOADING ADDONUSAGE >>>

Bartender using THAT much cpu? wtf?

Last edited by Tweeker : 05-20-15 at 09:24 AM.
05-20-15, 10:17 AM   #15
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
Recount (Lost cause) ?? explain?
As much as I like Recount, it's one of the only addons I've ever had to stop using because of performance problems.

Sometime toward the end of MoP or start of WoD I was forced to switch to another addon, which I didn't particularly want to do, because it was affecting my gameplay.

It's possible whatever was wrong with it has been fixed, but at this point I don't have any reason to go back to it.
05-20-15, 10:26 AM   #16
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

As much as I like Recount, it's one of the only addons I've ever had to stop using because of performance problems.

Sometime toward the end of MoP or start of WoD I was forced to switch to another addon, which I didn't particularly want to do, because it was affecting my gameplay.

It's possible whatever was wrong with it has been fixed, but at this point I don't have any reason to go back to it.
I understand, thanks for the explanation
05-20-15, 11:25 AM   #17
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's fixed.
05-20-15, 04:27 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Most people never bother to disable non raid/instance addons before going in. Use ACP to make raid/instance addon sets... takes 2 seconds to load a set and does not require a relog. Makes for a nice smooth lag free run.
05-20-15, 05:26 PM   #19
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Most people never bother to disable non raid/instance addons before going in. Use ACP to make raid/instance addon sets... takes 2 seconds to load a set and does not require a relog. Makes for a nice smooth lag free run.

Did that with stAddonManager
05-21-15, 05:59 AM   #20
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
Thank you! I was ....jjjuuusssstt about to ask for an addon profiler

<<< EDIT AFTER DOWNLOADING ADDONUSAGE >>>

Bartender using THAT much cpu? wtf?
I dont use Bartender, but just had a look it uses quite some libraries and you should be aware of:

A lot of addons share libraries of code. The "blame" for who owns that code isn't as clear cut. If you run many addons that share libraries, treat them all as one huge mass for overall troubleshooting purposes. If you disable one addon and a seemingly unrelated addon has suddenly taken up the former addon's share of work, it's likely the two were sharing a library and the first one may be blameless.
I would just run the profile while raiding (but be aware profile is quite some extra overhead) look at the number while no freeze happening and then compare it after a freeze happened, best would be even if you know when the freeze will come and reset it before it happens.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » random freezing in lfr