04-21-15, 07:13 PM   #1
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
How do i change the combat text?

Hey!

None of the addons that's made for this is working anymore (all are outdates). Nice damagefont. Krys damagefont etc.
I was told i can change the font "in the wow folder". Took a while to find it but i guess it's "Blizzard_CombatText.pub" i need to open? How? Cant open it as a normal text document.

Would really apprectiate any help with this. Hate the normal font.

Thanks!
04-21-15, 09:04 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a direct quote from Vranx.com.
Changing Fonts

You can use a mod to change in game fonts. Or you can replace the original game fonts with the fonts you want to use. Create the following folder:
<WoW directory>\Fonts\
Create copies of the font file of your choice, place them in the above folder, and rename them to the following names:
FRIZQT__.ttf (the main UI font - NPC names, player names, spell names, item names, buffs, quest log text, combat text, button text)
ARIALN.ttf (chat font, info text, small text)
skurri.ttf (default unit frame combat text)
MORPHEUS.ttf (mail text, quest log header text)
FRIENDS.ttf (friends list text)

Popular Fonts: Expressway Free, Comfortaa, SD Fresh Regular, Tork, Andika Basic, SF New Republic
dafont has many good fonts to choose from.
On the site the font names are links to the fonts, and "dafont" is a link to, well, dafont.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-22-15, 03:35 AM   #3
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
This is a direct quote from Vranx.com.

On the site the font names are links to the fonts, and "dafont" is a link to, well, dafont.
Thanks, but it does not seem to work. Downloaded a ttf font and renamed it to skurri.ttf (i guess its the correct one). Nothing changed ingame.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Mutilated : 04-22-15 at 03:45 AM.
04-22-15, 03:56 AM   #4
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
Thanks, but it does not seem to work. Downloaded a ttf font and renamed it to skurri.ttf (i guess its the correct one). Nothing changed ingame.

Any other ideas?
The process for changing your fonts using the \Fonts\ folder hasn't changed in over 10 years and still works today, and I assume the only thing that could be happening is that you're doing it wrong. If the written instructions are not clear enough to follow, then there are several video tutorials on YouTube which show you exactly how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ft+change+font
04-22-15, 04:15 AM   #5
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
The process for changing your fonts using the \Fonts\ folder hasn't changed in over 10 years and still works today, and I assume the only thing that could be happening is that you're doing it wrong. If the written instructions are not clear enough to follow, then there are several video tutorials on YouTube which show you exactly how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ft+change+font
I've done it the right way. Only skurri though, dont need the other ones.
It's not working. I have several addons, but nothing that would interfere with this. ElvUI does not change combat text in any way.

Have you changed your font this way? Since none of the addons are working anymore, maybe this way has stopped working as well?
04-22-15, 04:42 AM   #6
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I got it working. It acutally was ElvUI that messed it up.
Had to do this for it to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4lZ-oaTCI

The /Fonts folder does not work with ElvUI
04-22-15, 05:00 AM   #7
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
double post

Last edited by Mutilated : 04-22-15 at 05:15 AM.
04-22-15, 08:30 AM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah, but if you add the addon SharedMedia to your "AddOns" folder, you won't have to "fix" ElvUI every time you update it. Just look for a plain text file in the SharedMedia folder called "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia.txt" and read it. It will explain to you how to make the "MyMedia" addon to add your own media to the game. It's incredibly simple to do.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new ElvUI-PTR.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	8577
And YES, ElvUI does change the combat text. It at least changes the scrolling combat text.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-22-15 at 08:33 AM.
05-01-15, 01:47 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

ElvUI has its own font folder. ElvUI\media\fonts. The DieDieDie.ttf font is the one you're wanting to replace if I'm not mistaken. Just keep a second copy of the renamed font and pop it in there every time you update ElvUI.

Here's another alternative: http://www.tukui.org/forums/topic.php?id=19417

Be sure you peruse the ElvUI forums because there's tons and tons of HowTo's in there right at your fingertips. Pretty sure there's a short tutorial on how to create your own small addon so you don't lose any of the changes you've made to ElvUI.
05-01-15, 03:28 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, Petrah, it's got it's own "Fonts" folder. It's got it own version of "SharedMedia", too, but I would rather install it ("SharedMedia") and NOT have to fiddle with ElvUI every time it is updated. But I'm lazy like that.

05-01-15, 05:34 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
NOT have to fiddle with ElvUI every time it is updated
Yeah as I posted previously.. there's a tutorial over there on the forum somewhere that shows you how to prevent losing your changes every time you update ElvUI.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How do i change the combat text?