05-28-11, 02:35 PM   #1
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Filename capitalization

Hey guys, I was just wondering because I see that filenames and folders have varying character types, for example "ICONS" folder and inside you got names like "Ability_Ambush.blp" but what I've found out for myself is that I can put a icon named "ability_ambush.blp" and it will still work and load.

My question is why do some try and keep the filename capitalization proper while others like me just name them all lower case, does it mater? I use Windows so maybe it's not a problem, but would it not work on Mac or Linux?
05-28-11, 05:40 PM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
I use Windows so maybe it's not a problem
Using Windows is always a problem

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
but would it not work on Mac or Linux?
this ... traditionally linux filesystems offer this cool feature and I consider it superior to the way windows handles it ... but billions of ppl would argue
05-28-11, 06:43 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Windows isn't so picky about what case you use for your files. Linux (and Mac, if I'm not mistaken) are case-sensitive.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-28-11, 10:15 PM   #4
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm fairly certain that paths in WoW's MPQ archives are case insensitive no matter which platform you use. Only paths that lead to normal files in your filesystem are subject to OS case sensitivity. Your example of ability icons can have any case, but a path to a custom image included in a mod would have to match exactly to work on all platforms.
05-29-11, 12:08 AM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Macs can be configured to have a case-sensitive filesystem, but at that point WoW won't run.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-29-11, 01:49 AM   #6
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Strangely, WoW used to not check or care if you had a case-sensitive filesystem on a Mac, which led a few users to end up having to reformat their drive. Luckily, you can do that without losing everything on a Mac.

WoW refuses to run, even if it's on a non-specific partition, because it checks where the OS is running from. Not a great choice, if you ask me, because a friend of mine had to reformat.

I'm not sure why you'd want case-sensitivity, but it probably has its uses. And everything should be set right so that it shouldn't care if it's on a case-sensitive drive or not - that they don't shows a weakness in the game client.

I hate how some of the LUA code is case sensitive and some isn't, personally.

-Crissa
05-29-11, 04:49 AM   #7
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I see, I guess I better preserve the filename and extension to avoid problems when I submit addons here. Just a bit silly since you aren't allowed having a file named the same anyway, so why would the capitalization matter for some OS? :/ Unless you CAN on those have files named the same as long the chars are different capitals, but that makes things kind of complicated imo. :P
05-29-11, 05:07 AM   #8
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Linux filesystems offer this

So there can be files like

index.htm
Index.htm
inDex.htm
index.htM

Like I said, I like it but billions of ppl would not
05-29-11, 06:02 AM   #9
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Got nothing against it, just good to know when making addons to work cross platforms. :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Filename capitalization