05-25-11, 02:53 PM   #1
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Blizzard Removed Capability of Running Videos Ingame

I've just figured out that Blizzard removed somewhere along 3.x, the capability of "MovieFrame" to run videos in-game, besides the Blizzard ones. But cannot find any patch notes about it or any insight about the reasons for such change.

Basically, previously videos were ran by file-path, now they are run by an internal ID (which, of course, only lists Blizzard videos).

Anyone knows when/why this happened, or how should I contact Blizzard to request a reverse of the change?
05-25-11, 04:21 PM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

They got rick rolled and figured they never want to be scarred like that again -thus they removed the ability to playback custom movies.

Jokes aside no one used it at all and I figure that's why it was removed -tough I agree a little sad.
05-25-11, 07:57 PM   #3
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'd ask in the addon forum at worldofwarcraft.com, see if you can find anyone else that used those functions and if they know if they just moved them or not.

-Crissa
05-27-11, 09:36 AM   #4
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ighRoller.html
05-27-11, 09:46 AM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Indeed, the problem is that the API changed from

:StartMovie(string, int)

into

:StartMovie(int, int)

Where string was the path but now it's a ID pointing to a .dbc entry, hence can't play custom videos any longer. (The last int is still audio levels, 0-255 where 255 is highest volume available.)
05-30-11, 01:50 AM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
Anyone knows when/why this happened, or how should I contact Blizzard to request a reverse of the change?
This happened with patch 4.0.3. I had an ingame movie player I created to allow the player to replay various WoW cinematics. They also changed the codec used, it used to be DivX with the FourCC changed to DXGM. The new FourCC is PMVX. I'm unsure as to what encoding is actually used.
06-01-11, 04:58 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just fyi, the answer is "no".
06-02-11, 09:42 AM   #8
TSquared
Big Daddy!
A little clarification - High Roller didn't cause it.

The cinematic system was changing to where more meta-data was required. Just a filename wasn't enough. Thus, the ID system.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Blizzard Removed Capability of Running Videos Ingame