09-29-06, 03:00 AM   #1
ProfOak
A Cyclonian
Is it possible to add a personalized tooltip to a macro ?

Hi :P

I was wondering if I can add a personalized tooltip to my macro.
I found the event triggered when the cursor is over an unit, but i can't find the even triggered when the cursor is over a macro. I know how to make the tooltip and add it to the gametooltip, I'm just looking for a way to know that cursor is over the actionbar and in what actionbutton. Something like the "UPDATE_MOUSEOVER_UNIT" event but for the actionbar and respective action button :P

Thank You for reading this posts and try to help me out
Cheers
09-29-06, 06:59 AM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There's no game event when you mouseover macros on an action bar. The action bar itself generates the tooltip by calling GameTooltip:SetAction(slot). So to add your own info to the macro you can hook that:

Code:
local o=GameTooltip.SetAction
function GameTooltip.SetAction(self,slot)
  o(self,slot)
  if GetActionText(slot) then
    GameTooltip:AddLine("I'm a macro")
  end
end
You'll note that GameTooltip:SetAction(slot) has one parameter and the hook has two. This is because we're changing : notation to .

GameTooltip:SetAction(slot) == GameTooltip.SetAction(self,slot)

edit: I'm missing something because I just tried it and the tooltip isn't resizing to accomidate the new text. Unfortunately I have to go out the door but I'll check this later today if nobody else knows why.

Last edited by Gello : 09-29-06 at 07:08 AM.
09-30-06, 05:22 AM   #3
ProfOak
A Cyclonian
Thks for your help m8 :P Most of my posts here are answerd by you, so REALLY REALLY Thank You

I still have a doubt, althou I haven't try it yet, from what or where shall I call that funciton?
How can I hook it to the actionbar?

I'm really sorry for my noobiness :P
09-30-06, 07:19 AM   #4
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You run that code only once per session. The OnLoad or PLAYER_LOGIN are good places since they happen one time at the start of a session. Technically you don't even need those:

ImAMacro.toc
## Interface: 11200
## Title: ImAMacro
ImAMacro.lua

ImAMacro.lua
local o=GameTooltip.SetAction
function GameTooltip.SetAction(self,slot)
o(self,slot)
if GetActionText(slot) then
GameTooltip:AddLine("I'm a macro")
end
end

However I think this is the wrong approach. I can get the tooltip to resize by adding the text at the OnShow, but that's kludgy.
09-30-06, 12:51 PM   #5
ProfOak
A Cyclonian
Ok. Gonna give it a try.

Thank You again for your help :P
10-04-06, 08:18 AM   #6
ProfOak
A Cyclonian
Well, it works, but...

I didn't understand to what "OnShow" you refered to, since i don't have a particular frame on were to use this, so I added your code to a file that is loaded by the addon.
I see the message when the cursor is over a macro but it doesn't overwritte gametooltip, it appears below the gametooltip.
I have either to make the gametooltip from scratch or to use GameTooltip_AddNewbieTip builtin function.
Did I made everything ok ? Or I missed to understand what I was supposed to do ?

Sorry :P And Thks

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Is it possible to add a personalized tooltip to a macro ?