08-23-17, 03:36 PM   #1
Mayron
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Uploaded a new library for object-oriented lua programming

In my current UI pack (MayronUI Gen5), I am using a system for creating classes and encapsulating private data for instances of classes. I wanted to create a more powerful library to replace this and add a ton of new features.

In the future, I will add more classes that provide useful functionality, which can be imported using the library. I have currently made a simple List and Map object (similar to Java), but I want to add more common classes in the future, such as event handling features, etc...

About LibObjectLua
  • LibObject is a framework intended on making object-oriented programming easier for Lua developers.
  • You can create classes and call them to instantiate new instances/objects modeled from those classes.
  • You can create interfaces that enforce functions to be implemented by classes.
  • You can enforce strict typing rules to class and interface function parameters and return values.
  • Each class can inherit from at most one parent class. All classes either directly, or indirectly, inherit from the Object class.
  • There are many useful Object functions that all classes inherit and can use.
  • You can export/import classes using packages within a namespace.
  • There are many classes that can be imported from the framework, including a collections framework (similar to Java).
  • And more...

For the full documentation: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...LibObject.html

All feedback is appreciated

Last edited by Mayron : 08-24-17 at 12:15 AM.
08-23-17, 09:49 PM   #2
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Looks... interesting. I want to say there is an old library with the same name on Curse just to avoid any confusion with that one
https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/libobject
08-23-17, 11:48 PM   #3
Mayron
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Looks... interesting. I want to say there is an old library with the same name on Curse just to avoid any confusion with that one
https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/libobject
Thank you for pointing that out. I'll try to think of another name ><

EDIT: Renamed to LibObjectLua

Last edited by Mayron : 08-24-17 at 12:15 AM.
08-27-17, 04:47 AM   #4
Mayron
A Frostmaul Preserver

Updated to version 2.0. The new version includes:
  • Package exporting and importing
  • An Object:Parent() function so that you can choose to run Parent functions from child instances, instead of the child overridden version of the parent function.
  • Strict typing for widgets and objects, so you can validate whether a parameter or return value type is an instance of a class/interface, or a specific widget, such as a "Frame".

I have also edited the library documentation to support these new changes.
08-28-17, 04:56 AM   #5
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
First of all, thank you for sharing your project

I found a simple typo while I was reading your project page.

For section 4 (Function Definitions), there's a line saying

"Line 9 states that the first argument passed..."
which I guess it should be Line 10, not 9.

It won't confuse any readers even if you don't fix it, but you know

Last edited by Layback_ : 08-28-17 at 05:01 AM.
08-28-17, 07:36 AM   #6
Mayron
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thanks for pointing that out. I recently altered the code examples and only managed to find a few line number notes that needed changing.

I also added text emphasizing that strict typing of parameter and return values is completely optional and you do not have to enable this feature.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Uploaded a new library for object-oriented lua programming