04-19-09, 08:31 PM   #621
Laslo
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Tekkub
I know I'm being an elitist prick when I say this, but if you can't install an addon you shouldn't be using it in the first place.
Thank you.

It's 2009. Learn how to drag and drop.

This and the accusation that this site is so hard to sift through are both getting really old. I wish they would just admit they're lazy.
04-19-09, 09:47 PM   #622
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by sconley View Post
< snip >

When an addon is being hosted by curse or wowinterface and no longer available for download, I see a link called "Offline".

A recent change in the program: when I click on the "offline" link, I see the following:
This particular AddOn 'name of addon' cannot be installed or updated at this time because it is being hosted at either Curse or Wowinterface.
Both of those websites do not wish to have updaters connect to their sites, and have deliberately blocked updaters from doing so, starting right on the day of the 3.1 patch.
Although we do not agree with the actions of these sites, we respect their position in this matter, < snip >
Thank you for the info, sconley.

I hate the way they are lying. We didn't do it the day of the patch. We did it a full 24-hrs previously, and anyone who had been paying attention to the community at all had to know it was coming. There have been multiple threads about the problems they cause for months now. And the fact that we refuse to allow anything on the site that has wowmatrix files in it .... As I said, anyone paying attention had to know. Regardless, that statement is a lie. As for respecting us? If they'd respected us in the first place, we wouldn't be here to start with.

Originally Posted by Shukaro View Post
Wow, way to go. Congrats on making people trudge through a web page for the addons they want to use. And don't try to say that they could use the Curse client, it's probably the most buggy program I've ever had the displeasure to try.
Originally Posted by Meeza View Post
< snip >
It's just the process of going through every single addon page and using the actual sites is a drag. Not so much WoWI but curse is a headache.
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
< snip >
Updating my addons now is time consuming and, quite frankly, a pain in the ass. I'd rather be playing my game. I understand the issues need to be addressed, it's just too bad a better solution could not be found.
Updating your addons doesn't have to be time consuming or difficult at all. It's actually very easy. I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll copy it here too:
On WoWInterface (I don't know about Curse, but I'm sure it's something similar, same with wowui.incgamers), when you go to the download page of an AddOn you use and like, you can click on the little heart underneath the big download button. That adds it to your favourites list. Now every time you visit the site, you will see a notice on the front page (Community tab) saying whether any of your favourites have been updated. As well, there is a link on the top bar of the site that says "favourites", that you can click at any time to go look at your list.

To get email notifications of updates of your favourites, do this:

If you are on your Favourites list page you will see a little menu on the left, or if you are on any other page on the site (except the forums tab) you can click on "Options" on the top bar. Either one of those places you will see:

AddOn Options
Manage Favorites
Email Feeds
Preferences
Download History

Click on "Preferences". You will then see this:

Download Preferences
My Favorites Options
Email Notification:
Enable this feature to recive email notification when one of your favorites has been updated.
yes no

Just check "yes" and any time any AddOn on your favourites list is updated, it will send out an email notification that it has been updated and give you a direct link to the download page for that AddOn.

Hope that helps.
And, we wish some other solution would have been possible too. Trust me, we didn't want to have to do this. But when they refuse to respond to our communication attempts, deliberately and repeatedly work around any things we put in place to stop them from using our bandwidth without compensation, etc - what other choice are we left with? /sigh
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-19-09 at 09:57 PM.
04-19-09, 09:54 PM   #623
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Meeza View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier and much simpler to create a updater that simply notifies you of neccesary updates and just links you there.
Register on WoWInterface and list your addons of choice in your favorites list. You will receive an email from WoWInterface each time any of your addons is updated and you log into the site and download them. You don't waste time and energy downloading and updating addons that didn't change. Nothing could be much simpler and it is very secure. Also, this way shows your interest and support for the site (although it would be nice if you also became a paid site supporter but that isn't required of you).

I also have a few addons that I get from Curse. Not quite as easy as they don't send me an email but I have a favorites list there and I check it periodically and update any addons that have changed since my last visit.

This is a suggestion in response to your question as I quoted.
04-19-09, 10:31 PM   #624
Cin
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post

Updating your addons doesn't have to be time consuming or difficult at all. It's actually very easy. I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll copy it here too:

*snip*

Just check "yes" and any time any AddOn on your favourites list is updated, it will send out an email notification that it has been updated and give you a direct link to the download page for that AddOn.
Yes, I understand this. It's still more time consuming. Add to it that not all of the addons I use are here, some are on Curse, some elsewhere, so that takes more time too. With Wowmatrix all it took was one click and within seconds all of my addons that needed updating were updated. It was nice.

Chances are I'm likely to just start cutting out addons, only keeping the few that I really just couldn't do without. I hate to do it, as I do enjoy all of the addons I use (currently 74 or so), but I'd rather spend my time playing then updating.

I hope everything works out for all concerned, you all offer valuable resources. Thank you!
04-19-09, 11:41 PM   #625
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by LittleWhiteDove View Post
Enough is enough in my mind. If the site admins (because they are too polite and care to much) won't tell you where you should stick all this crap then perhaps it is time that some of the rest of us did. (and that comment, coming from this old lady, is something I never thought I would write for all the world to see).
You m'lady have just convinced me to sign up as a paid subscriber

It's time I gave something back to the community that's given me so much for my game.

I know its a mere pittance to the huge bills you guys get but it'll be my little bit.

Soon as I find ma credit card that is .....

EDIT Ok all signed up. 6 month subscription. Cheap too

Any links to the perks I get for my koha ?
Also is there a link to a page with all the new posts on it ?

PM on those last 2 questions ok
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 04-20-09 at 12:07 AM. Reason: EDIT ok done :D
04-20-09, 01:10 AM   #626
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
You get a vastly increased PM inbox (5000 messages), that little gold banner next to your name, and the ability to set your "flavor text" to whatever you please.

Your karma also shoots through the roof, and little doves appear on your porch step every day to deliver you bits of food and glad tidings.

On topic: WM's policy that "if it is licensed GPL/BSD/whatever tell us and we'll host it" gives me a seriously bad taste in my mouth.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
04-20-09, 02:26 AM   #627
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
On a more practical side, all ads disappear from this site as well as on the wowi updater when it is released. As far as how those benefits extend to other sites, I can't say with 100% confidence right now so I will leave that to someone else.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-20-09, 02:44 AM   #628
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

You also get bacon at the push of a button.
04-20-09, 02:47 AM   #629
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*giggles at Tekkub*
04-20-09, 03:35 AM   #630
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post
Prior to reading much of this I had no knowledge of the issues with wowmatrix. That said, I used them because I run a mac and the other ways of downloading adds did not work for me. I do believe in supporting addons that work well for me and have done so for my favorite. I just wish there was a better way to update and install adds that would actually work under Leopard.
http://community.livejournal.com/wor...t/7776364.html

There you go.

A better way.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
04-20-09, 03:47 AM   #631
Meeza
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Yay more email spam (I kid), but that sounds like it could a valid method of updating, and eh if I try really hard I'm sure I can find substitutes for those pesky curse only addons ( Curse you authors ...lol get it? lol sorry its late T_T) But if this was in an updater appy, id be turned on even more =D, but yes thanks for the tidbit, I had no clue I could get email notifications, maybe you should remind (notify) the general public on the main page, or this article.

-starts singing-
Im off to be a Fav whore tralalalala
-stops singing-

Last edited by Meeza : 04-20-09 at 03:50 AM.
04-20-09, 03:48 AM   #632
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by guice View Post
Oh yeah, that's right. It was the dropping of the updater that dropped it back down to the background.
... do people even use Ace? I think I have maybe two add-ons now that are "Ace" add-ons. None of the others are even hosted on Ace anymore.
I actually have a ton of addons I use that are from the wowace site that do get updated there on a regular basis.

EG Recount , IceHUD, SexyMap, Fubar, Gnomish Yellow Pages, Cartographer , EBB , Chatter , Prat , X perl unit frames, Omen

This just from a quick accounting of my addons emails.

I have subscriptions for addons on their mostly because I get a change log in the email. That and if I ever have a problem i have an active community of developers to draw on to help me resolve it.
04-20-09, 05:10 AM   #633
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
If you need an updater NOW, use Curse Client. It works very well and I'm impressed with it.

If you don't like Curse, wait until the WOWI UI Manager has been released.
04-20-09, 06:18 AM   #634
Luciant
A Cyclonian

im sure its in this 630+ post somewhere but is there an estimated date on when the ui manager will be released?
04-20-09, 06:40 AM   #635
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Remember people always go to the real sites, this one being one of them.
04-20-09, 06:42 AM   #636
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Luciant View Post
im sure its in this 630+ post somewhere but is there an estimated date on when the ui manager will be released?
No.

If I recall correctly, theres only a couple of things holding it back from a beta release. Check the other thread
04-20-09, 07:13 AM   #637
Sparky911
A Murloc Raider
WoW Matrix did not remove donation requests in plugins, I know this because my nUI still asks for one in the description. WoW Matrix worked well and still works well for me. I think it was selfish that you and curse chose this path rather then working with WoW Matrix. I personally don't like the Curse Client, never have and never will. I think WoW Interface and WoW Matrix should get together. WoW Matrix could be the addon updater for WoW Interface like Curse Client is for Curse.

I personally will stick with WoW Matrix as long as I have too
04-20-09, 07:14 AM   #638
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by ScytheBlade1 View Post
On topic: WM's policy that "if it is licensed GPL/BSD/whatever tell us and we'll host it" gives me a seriously bad taste in my mouth.
I'm not sure why it would, allowing for re-distribution is a big part of the GPL, any author that is licensing under the GPL should be well aware that others may choose to mirror their work. I personally think this would've been a valid move for them from the get-go.

This is, of course, so long as they are pro-active about first checking to make sure it really is under the GPL/BSD/etc.
04-20-09, 07:15 AM   #639
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Sparky911 View Post
WoW Matrix did not remove donation requests in plugins, I know this because my nUI still asks for one in the description. WoW Matrix worked well and still works well for me. I think it was selfish that you and curse chose this path rather then working with WoW Matrix. I personally don't like the Curse Client, never have and never will. I think WoW Interface and WoW Matrix should get together. WoW Matrix could be the addon updater for WoW Interface like Curse Client is for Curse.

I personally will stick with WoW Matrix as long as I have too
I think you should go back and read what has been said.

WoWMatrix refused to work with addon sites and simply stole from them.
04-20-09, 08:36 AM   #640
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

This has probably been mentioned already, but is it just me or are the Wowmatrix people just plain shady or what?

I've also emailed them and sometimes it seems they don't even bother replying and when they do, they're rude and unhelpful.

Also, you can go to google and search Wowmatrix and promote the "Why Wowmatrix is bad" thread.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wowmatrix

Last edited by Spectro : 04-20-09 at 08:41 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users