05-28-09, 12:47 PM   #1
Gardedesmort
A Kobold Labourer

Post Version, linkback... [suggestions]

I've tried out the Minion and at first glance noticed a few key things that are...well missing and that were major complaints about WowMatrix:

Current Version Number [previous post] So hopefully this will get added because this is a very important thing needed when updating. Like with the Curse client, if it see's a different version then what it has it updates to the newest that is on its site, which could be an older broken version.
Originally Posted by Cairenn
because the authors aren't uploading to it themselves it isn't current, so authors get users b!tching at them about bugs that they've already fixed and users are getting old versions that may have problems;
[LINK]

Information about the addon. This was a big complaint about WoWMatrix by the Authors. That it didn't tell you anything about the addon you had installed or was installing.

Originally Posted by Phanx
3. WoWMatrix doesn't show the author's description of an addon anywhere. On a release site, an author can place a big, bold warning at the top of the description stating than an addon is under development, currently in beta status, is not yet complete, and/or may be unstable. Users who find and download an addon through WoWMatrix will never see that warning. They'll just download an addon, deem it broken, and tell their friends that "Addon X sucks, don't use it". While the erstwhile WoWAce suffered from this problem to a lesser degree, it was generally understood that everything on WoWAce should be considered beta. No similar understanding is attached to WoWMatrix.
[LINK]

Now I understand that the author of it [Minion] is busy and all with real life (completely understandable) so I not saying these have to be in with the Beta or put in right now, but I think these things should be addressed before leaving Beta because as Phanx said "However, as an addon author, the concept bothers me greatly, and I have actually requested that they stop making my addons available through their program. Why? Here are some things to think about:" 2 of the 4 issues he stated about WowMatrix is also with the Minion. In all honesty, those are things the Author's were wanting from WowMatrix (and got).

These were the main reasons I use WowMatrix (I did not use WM for it's download I used it for the quick links to the addon's portal page and quick view of my addons status). I could scan my addons see what version I had, what one was the newest, at a quick glance see what the addon was used for, and then if I wanted to update/install/find out more about the addon there was a link to the addon's portal page or if I was having issues with the addon I could open WM and quickly find the link to the addon's page to find out any new postings from the author or comments from other people. So in all honesty, if you made something that just scanned my addons' versions, the version on your site, a brief description of the addons (and basic info), an addon search, and a link to the addon's portal page I would be content.

Now, I like that the Minion is an easy install, runs on all 3 of my OS's, I like that it's not bloated and I don't have to go through and turn off a ton of stuff for things I don't want, I like the idea of the modules, I love the fact that it still runs very well as a free uploader without being cut off at the knees, and the Minion guy is cute (in a monster under your bed kind of way) too *you guys should make shirts with him on it*. I think you guys are doing a great job with it [Minion] and are on the right path to meeting the needs and demands of the users and authors. These are just a few things I think should be considered, if they haven't, to be added to better the Minion.

Edit: I am told by a fellow Tester that the info for the addon is in a right click on the addon. Now for some reason this [right click on the addon name] is not working on all 3 downloads I have done and all 3 reinstalls (Mac, Linux and WinPC twice each). I am also told that it doesn't give the info in the Uploader, but rather it takes you straight to the portal. I will try reinstalling again in a few days.

Last edited by Gardedesmort : 05-31-09 at 10:04 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Version, linkback... [suggestions]