05-27-10, 11:07 AM   #1
Je720
A Defias Bandit
Individual threat bars above mobs' health

The Idea

I my idea is to have threat tool consisting of two-way threat bars that are displayed on every mob showing either how much threat you have in relation to the next highest threat producer on this mob (if you have aggro) or if the bar is negative how much threat the person with aggro has in relation to you.

As a variable to drive these bars the following ratio could be used:

Your threat (the tank) : Person with the highest threat (or 2nd highest if you have the most threat)

So if your threat was the highest the ratio would be >1 and you would see the bar to the right (blue). And if someone else has aggro the ratio will be <1 so you will see a bar to the left (red).

(Another way to do this would be to just subtract the highest threat person from the lowest threat person and plot that but I thought the ratio would be better when using it for a scale.)

Colour system

Here are some ideas for how the colour of the bar could change with different threat levels:

The first bar does not show any threat level but shows the colours that the bar is at different levels of threat and the second bar in the picture shows the bar on a mob with no threat from any player at all.

Why do I want this UI?

The threat meters I have used so far only show the threat level of your target and you must switch targets to see the threat levels of other mobs. Also the blizzard aggro 'glow' around name plates is quite difficult to see with multiple mobs since both the name plates and the 'glow' are red.

The advantage of this UI over old systems is that you know which targets that you need to give the most threat to, and which you can leave alone, at glance without cycling through your targets.

Extensions

Other Tanks

Since most of the time in 10+ man raids you have two tanks and they will either have more threat than you or end up with similar levels of threat, when this happens instead of the bar going red it could go another neutral colour like green; the difficulty would be to get the UI to differentiate between the threat levels other tanks and the other raid members.

Use as a threat meter for DPS

This system could help DPS in the same way just by switching the colours around, being able to tell at a glance which targets you can UNLEASH THE FURY on and which targets you should stop whacking before they whack you.

This would help them maximise dps on multiple targets because they know which targets to switch to before their threat gets too high. I think being able to see the threat of each mob at the same would help particularly when deciding whether or not to use an AOE ability.

P.S. Yes I play a warrior
05-27-10, 11:17 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You're describing the threat widget for TidyPlates.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...idyPlates.html

The included Tank theme uses the thread widget. There are many skins/layouts for TidyPlates. A popular one for tanks is Threat Plates (though I don't think it uses the new threat widget).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-27-10, 11:42 AM   #3
Je720
A Defias Bandit
Nice that works using the same principle as mine.

Thanks.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Individual threat bars above mobs' health