05-31-11, 01:08 AM   #1
flatluigi
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite causes WoW to freeze randomly

I've had issues with WoW for a few days now - the game would freeze in Stormwind randomly, needing the process to be killed, and then would freeze instantly as soon as I tried to load the character up afterwards. I'm new, so I haven't tried this in other areas, but it definitely only freezes with Carbonite installed and uninstalling fixes it easily.

Which sucks, because I've gotten incredibly attached to the map and the quest tracker.

Anyone know why this happens? Anything I can do to help fix this? Any suggestions of alternate mods to use instead while this is getting fixed (as this looks almost abandoned?)

05-31-11, 10:04 AM   #2
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
Carbonite is hardly abandoned by any means.

What other addons do you have enabled?

Have you tried running WoW with only Carbonite enabled?

05-31-11, 11:14 AM   #3
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Stormwind is a relatively heavily populated area most of the time. So perhaps the lag produced by the overpopulation combined with the ability of your computer to process everything is the root cause.

My suggestion would be to try going out into Elwynn Forest (or some other less populated area) and see if things change for you.

06-01-11, 12:28 AM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you look at the recent posts of mine, you can see we are working on it.

Try these:

1 Reboot and test.
2 Disable all other addons and test.
3 Rename the WTF\Account\<name>\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua file to CarboniteOld.lua and test.
4 Rename WTF folder to WTFold and test.

06-02-11, 12:13 PM   #5
Torxed
A Murloc Raider
I can confirm this, tried without any addons at all, wow runs at 60 FPS without a problem.

Running every addon i can think of except Carbonite, same dealio, 60FPS.

Removed all addons and enabled Carbonite, 2-8 FPS from time to time and sometimes for LONG periods of time.

It's frustrating as hell cause the addon's great, and the whole map system is just insanely good.
Will fill in more info once i have the time to deubg it.

(Ps, setting up timers within the code, as a fault parameter is something i tend to do all the time when i need to know where my code is running slow at times (i work as a mainframe programmer and microseconds is my life), perhaps this is something that the Carbonite team can do to debug the code and see what hangs the system?)

Have renamed the lua files (even the entire WTF folder).
Sometimes it would help to Zoom in on the minimap once you've exited a instance, aparently once you leave a instance and enter the real world the minimap would cause major lagspikes if zoomed out to faar. Beats me tho why

06-04-11, 04:40 AM   #6
Malkavier
A Defias Bandit
I've come across this as well, but it hasn't locked up yet (thankfully). It's very apparent when in heavily populated areas, and especially areas with lots of other Carbonite users present.

Tol Barad, SW, Org, etc.

It's pretty bad when changing areas too, but seems to work ok once the area transition is over.

06-04-11, 03:19 PM   #7
Torxed
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Malkavier View Post
I've come across this as well, but it hasn't locked up yet (thankfully). It's very apparent when in heavily populated areas, and especially areas with lots of other Carbonite users present.

Tol Barad, SW, Org, etc.

It's pretty bad when changing areas too, but seems to work ok once the area transition is over.
Yepp.
And it's limited (and i think exlusivly) to when you move the camera around.
If you stand still the lag ain't that bad.
Or if you ZOOM in the minimap as much as possible, it usually helps.

Posted this link in another thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDEh6LlLoE

(and i had to note these things):
1: the audio might be loud or annoying, it's the audio-swap features fault.
2: you can mute the sound, so no picking on me for having bad taste in music
3: Anything was better then my voice on this video, trust me >_<

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite causes WoW to freeze randomly