09-09-12, 11:22 AM   #1
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Workin on new UI.

This is what I have so far, I think its about 90% done, Its in STUF config mode in the screenshot.

I need to find a way to change the yellow chat tabs to White or find an addon that moves the chat window into broker form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ui.jpg
Views:	2519
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	7175  
09-09-12, 12:01 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, what are you using for the chat tabs now? (The textures are hidden.)

Otherwise... There's Fane or nibChatTabs
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-09-12, 01:26 PM   #3
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
Using Chatter for my chat window atm. I looked and didn't see an option to change tab text color just to hide the tabs :\
09-09-12, 09:54 PM   #4
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Would love a non-config screenshot and one while in a group/combat.

Only thing I can see that's missing (or maybe the config mode hides it), is how do you determine what class your target or group members are? The text looks sort of cream colored, maybe config doesn't show the class colors or a class icon etc...?

Other criticism, it's very, very red; from a glance, I thought at first you were a DK. I'd suggest an overall color that's more neutral (a grey of some sort) with texts that correspond to different classes or using a color scheme that's based on your class (replace the red with a green since you're a hunter, for example).

I like the layout a lot. Layout-wise, swap the position of the player power bar - aka above the hotbar bank and move the hotbars down to the bottom of the screen.

Looks really nice!
09-09-12, 09:57 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

The whole main section (action buttons and non-party unit frames) is slightly off-center toward the left. Compare it to your character's position, and to the placement of the centered info text at the top. Something like wAlign might be useful.

The bar texture on your unit frames doesn't match the bar texture on the bar underneath your action buttons labeled "120" (I'm not sure what it is).

The dark red health text on your unit frames is pretty hard to read in that particular area (since it's all red). White would be much more visible, or at least a brighter red. You might also consider hiding the health text when it's at 100% or 0%.

You might also consider moving party members' names (and party targets' names) below the health text, so they're between the health text and the health bar. Right now they look a little awkward floating up there by themselves.

Using class colors (at least on the party frames) would also help you identify which frame belonged to who at a glance without having to spend a lot of time reading the text. I'd also suggest reaction coloring on the target frame for a similar reason; right now I don't see any way to distinguish a hostile target from a friendly one.

I'd hide the chat frame background when you're not moused over it; right-click on the chat tab and click "Background", then drag the opacity slider on the right down to the bottom.

It might look better if the top/bottom bars were a little thicker, so that your info text fits inside them, instead of sticking out. Either that or add an outline to the text so it's easier to read.

Overall, everything is much too dark and about 2x too small, for my needs/tastes, but you've done a pretty good job of achieving consistent fonts, colors, and spacing.
09-10-12, 01:47 AM   #6
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

What bothers me the most is the dark font and texture colors. Bit brighter would fix a lot.
And another thing, which may be a personal thing, the ToT looks a bit out of place somewhere "below".

For the rest, I agree with Phanx.
09-10-12, 03:33 AM   #7
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Well, what are you using for the chat tabs now? (The textures are hidden.)

Otherwise... There's Fane or nibChatTabs
And ChatAlerts...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-10-12, 06:37 PM   #8
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
Would love a non-config screenshot and one while in a group/combat.

Only thing I can see that's missing (or maybe the config mode hides it), is how do you determine what class your target or group members are? The text looks sort of cream colored, maybe config doesn't show the class colors or a class icon etc...?

Other criticism, it's very, very red; from a glance, I thought at first you were a DK. I'd suggest an overall color that's more neutral (a grey of some sort) with texts that correspond to different classes or using a color scheme that's based on your class (replace the red with a green since you're a hunter, for example).

I like the layout a lot. Layout-wise, swap the position of the player power bar - aka above the hotbar bank and move the hotbars down to the bottom of the screen.

Looks really nice!
Will get a party, Raid, Combat, Non-Combat Screenshots up after I finish with adjusting it all (soon). As far as determining which class my target and party members are umm I have class icons but they are disabled, I usually just raid/group with my guild and I know them by names, I may add a color border or something that adjust for class just in case.

I went for a Red/Black kinda look but it did seem overly red, I adjusted it so its more White/Red now give that a try see how I like it after a day, I did adjust the power bar above the rotation and drop the rotation bar down, The pet bar is still at the top though since I don't always have a pet out didn't want a gap something.

Thank ya worked hard on it

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
The whole main section (action buttons and non-party unit frames) is slightly off-center toward the left. Compare it to your character's position, and to the placement of the centered info text at the top. Something like wAlign might be useful.

The bar texture on your unit frames doesn't match the bar texture on the bar underneath your action buttons labeled "120" (I'm not sure what it is).

The dark red health text on your unit frames is pretty hard to read in that particular area (since it's all red). White would be much more visible, or at least a brighter red. You might also consider hiding the health text when it's at 100% or 0%.

You might also consider moving party members' names (and party targets' names) below the health text, so they're between the health text and the health bar. Right now they look a little awkward floating up there by themselves.

Using class colors (at least on the party frames) would also help you identify which frame belonged to who at a glance without having to spend a lot of time reading the text. I'd also suggest reaction coloring on the target frame for a similar reason; right now I don't see any way to distinguish a hostile target from a friendly one.

I'd hide the chat frame background when you're not moused over it; right-click on the chat tab and click "Background", then drag the opacity slider on the right down to the bottom.

It might look better if the top/bottom bars were a little thicker, so that your info text fits inside them, instead of sticking out. Either that or add an outline to the text so it's easier to read.

Overall, everything is much too dark and about 2x too small, for my needs/tastes, but you've done a pretty good job of achieving consistent fonts, colors, and spacing.
Yea I first started off with the stance bar ontop of the pet bar centered over it, But moved it to the left of the rotation and never adjusted all teh frames to compensate for it, I corrected that now was bugging me also, thanks for the addon link I used it worked nicely.

The bar texture was the old texture forgot to adjust it, Its fixed now thanks ya, The 120 is my Focus count, Under that bar is another smaller bar that is white that starts to show when I hit 40 focus so I know I should cobra show

I took the recomendations of it being overly red and adjusted the Health text is now white, Name text is red and the Curhp/curmp is white. Knew I forgot something again when working on it, Debating if I will hide the 100% have to see what it looks like kinda like it, But when it reaches zero I will make it so it says Dead/Ghost instead.

I will give the adjusted health text and name text a looks see if I like it, Working on a way to show at a glance which class each party member is and hostile targeting, I haven't really played with it in raid or party yet so may have a couple issues like that.

I would really like to hide the chat frame when not in use but chatter doesn't allow that, It allows me to add a border and background and set it overall opacity but doesn't allow me to change it so it fades completely out when not in use or after a certain time :\

I was goin for the sticky out look, Something different instead of the regular broker bar is text inside it. Thanks for the feedback, I will definitally adjust some stuff based off your info.

Originally Posted by eiszeit View Post
What bothers me the most is the dark font and texture colors. Bit brighter would fix a lot.
And another thing, which may be a personal thing, the ToT looks a bit out of place somewhere "below".

For the rest, I agree with Phanx.
Fixed the color, The ToT I never really worry about so I kinda place it away from my view but its there for the rare times I need to see it.

--

Thanks for all the feedback working on adjusting some stuff New screen shots today or tomorrow
09-11-12, 09:03 PM   #9
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
OK so new screenshots of updated UI.

Party screenshot

Raid Screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	party.jpg
Views:	1597
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	7179  Click image for larger version

Name:	raid.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	7180  
09-12-12, 01:06 AM   #10
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I like the changes, but still, the color of the names is .. bad choice. On my bright display I can hardly read them.
09-12-12, 05:49 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

I have to agree... the dark red names are practically unreadable.

Also, I still find the gigantic health numbers very distracting and out of place. You're a hunter; the exact amount of health other people have isn't exactly relevant to your gameplay, since you can't heal them. Even as a healer I wouldn't want giant text like that. A bar with good foreground/background contrast is much faster for the human brain to recognize as "full" or "empty" than reading text.

The raid frames look much nicer than the party frames, for those reasons.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Workin on new UI.