05-25-09, 01:07 PM   #1
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
"AddOns" violating the WoW ToS

I recently had a chat with a GM about Addons that require you to put files/edit files outside the WTF and AddOn (for example the "sound" "data" or possible subfolders of Interface) folder. According to the GM this was abolutely forbidden and bannable according to the ToS:

You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
That is because those "AddOns" are capable of editing any texture/sound or client file. For example the fishing bobber sound, the Blizzard default UI elements, the player/mount/npc/weapon/armor models and other vital parts of information used by the client.

I have so far found several such "AddOns" downloadable here so I was wondering if there's any official position from WoWI on such mods since they violate the ToS?
05-25-09, 01:22 PM   #2
BWarner
A Black Drake

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158

More specifically to the point of your question, scroll down to the second post for a direct line.

Though, definitely worth a good once-over.
05-25-09, 02:06 PM   #3
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
GM didn't understand what you were asking, or else didn't understand what the TOS says:
D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
of course, modifying the files is against the rules, but adding other files to the locations that are checked by the client expressly for the purpose of allowing you to override the default ones is fine. You're not modifying anything that the game doesn't allow you to.

This phrase in particular --
the Blizzard default UI elements,
-- is really indicative of a GM that doesn't understand what they're saying, because addons are entirely about modifying the default UI, and obviously they're fine.
05-25-09, 02:20 PM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Agreed, Ackryn. If you couldn't modify or hide the default Blizz ui elements, there wouldn't be addons!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-25-09, 02:27 PM   #5
Ereki
A Fallenroot Satyr
Tbh, do not listen to what GMs say about addons. In 99% of the cases they have absolutely no clue at all.
A quote from WoW Europe:
We definitely want people to create their own UIs utilizing custom menu configurations, graphics, and even sounds. Anything that can be coded to modify the style and the look of the UI is fair game, as long as the modifications are done to the sanctioned internal files of the game.
You won't get banned for changing your tooltip or fishblooder sound. What they mean with "modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard" is basically model changing. They don't want you to make mining nodes look like ragnaros etc.
05-25-09, 02:35 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Everything they've said, with a bit more of my own on top.

We have a very good rapport with Blizzard and anytime there is any concern about an AddOn on our site, they will talk to us about it. If they ask us to remove something, we have a discussion to find out why they don't approve of it, to make sure everyone understands why it isn't allowed, and then remove the AddOn in question.

We do thank you for bringing up your concerns, though. We'd rather be safe than sorry.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-25-09 at 02:44 PM.
05-25-09, 02:38 PM   #7
BWarner
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
We'd rather be safe than sorry.
Can we get a quoted/bolded comment? Anybody? Don't be shy, now.
05-25-09, 02:42 PM   #8
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I was actually suspecting that the GM didn't really get what i was talking about.
Since according to me anything i change in the Interface folder (not only AddOns) is alright.

So what about changing the login background screen by adding files to the Interface and Sound folders? Think it's ok to do so?

Last edited by Jooze : 05-26-09 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Spelling, /sigh
05-26-09, 09:30 PM   #9
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
The GM likely misunderstood you.

MPQ editing = against the rules.

Creating additional directories in the WoW directory = allowed.

They had to code in the functionality for WoW to check new directories for "override" files. Likewise, this functionality cannot be used to replace models or texture -- it will only work with things they've deemed trivial (such as sounds). The line "in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;" is the reasoning, as they had to make the new directory overrides work in the first place. You are not editing data files, your actions with such addons do little more than use a facility already in place, which was created by Blizzard.

What you can replace with this method is severely limited in scope. You can't replace core data files, models, textures, or UI elements. Fonts and sounds are the only two things that come to mind (though there may be more).
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
05-26-09, 10:30 PM   #10
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Also, to elaborate a bit on sounds. Trivial definitely = trivial. Adding a Stealth sound file to give an advantage, or anything that could be deemed to give an advantage, at Blizzard's sole discretion, would result in a ban.

An old login screen, modifying mount sounds, or altering fonts "should not" fall into the scope of advantageous addons or mods. So it is unlikely Blizzard has anything against them, but they don't say as much... likely to cover their butt.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » "AddOns" violating the WoW ToS