01-12-09, 12:18 PM   #1
mrdummy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
My Favorites doesn't work well

I have clicked on Favorite button by many addons.
But after some weeks usage of the site WoW Interface, there is really something wrong.

Not all addons, which are clearly marked as favorite, are added to the My Favorites list.
For example the addon PhanxChat is never showed in the list.

What is going on? Some small bug in the script? It's sure the script overlooks some addons which are marked as Favorite, but nothing in the list. But it's just updated in the last 200 submissions list.
Thanks to the bug, i cannot really trust My Favorites, and must always check manually in the 200 submissions list, to pick up some forgotten addons.
01-12-09, 01:05 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just to be clear, you are saying that mods like PhanxChat have the favorites button colored reddish (shown that they are selected as a favorite), yet they do not show up in the list? Just asking, because the button says "My Favorite <3" by default, and changes color if you actually have it chosen. This is different from how Curse does it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-12-09, 06:40 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah, I'm going to have to say you're doing something wrong, as I've been using the Favorites list on this site for the last three years, and have some 200 favorites tracked, and have never had one disappear.
01-13-09, 01:22 PM   #4
mrdummy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok, i do some work again to see if it's my fault or not.

Test 1:
When i want add new addons to the My Favorites list, i click on My Favorite button which is not colored yet. After clicking it's red. Refreshing My Favorites list, and it's showed there. Good.

Test 2:
Removing addon from My Favorites. Click on [remove] link and it should be removed. Yes, it works.

Test 3:
PhanxChat is not in the list even it's updated. When i take a better look, i use search function from my browser and PhanxChat is indeed still in the list, but very lower than expected: at 12-05-2008. But why it's still in the 200 submissins list? PhanxChat is updated at 01-10-2009!

Very strange.
Why are another just updated addons higher placed?

Some examinations:
pMinimap 30000.71 -> listed 01-08-2009 07:29PM -> TOC file 01-08-2009 12:29 - dir also same.
Pawn 1.1.6 -> listed 01-11-2009 08:01AM -> dir: 12-21-2008 23:01 - TOC: 12-26-2008 21:32
QuestHelper 0.83 -> listed 01-13-2009 06:51AM -> dir: 01-12-2009 21:41 - TOC: 01-12-2009 21:40

It seems there is no date match in TOC file or dir dates to listed date. Then it's just writted away when uploaded to this site, i think.

What causes a big date error by PhanxChat for example? Why two date differences? Or is there very small bug which forgot to write away in second database record?

I discovered just: the date in My Favorites and date of 200 submissions list are not always same. I compare below date between 200 submission and addon page date with some addons.

Test 4: date match check:
oUF Freeb -> 200: 01-11-2009 07:22 AM - page: 01-11-2009 07:22 AM -> ok
MalygosCP -> 200: 01-11-2009 05:47 AM - page: 01-09-2009 10:14 PM -> error
TankPoints -> 200: 01-13-2009 11:55 AM - page: 12-19-2008 07:53 AM -> error
Power Auras Classic -> 200: 01-13-2009 11:02 AM - page: 01-13-2009 11:02 AM -> ok
InFlight -> 200: 01-13-2009 09:30 AM - page: 01-05-2009 05:32 PM -> error
QuestHelper -> 200: 01-13-2009 06:51 AM - page: 01-13-2009 06:51 AM -> ok

When i make InFlight favorite, which is updated above Questhelper, it wont show above in My Favorites list above Questhelper. Thanks to wrong page date, it is listed much lower in the list. No way!

That is pretty wrong. And very annoying fault. Thanks to date error, i don't know InFlight is also updated if i look quickly at My Favorites: because it's already out of sight of the browser window. It causes also I forgot them easy because i don't see it immediately and i think it's not updated. But that is not it!

The conclusion is found here: there is clearly date registration error in the script. Many addons which are listed above in My Favorites, have correct date match between "200" and "page". But shamefully not all addons.

You may say about the date error. PhanxChat is not only, there are indeed more addons with update date error.
Is the date error confirmed or not?
01-13-09, 03:54 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The date you see on the top 200 list also goes for any changes made to the addon's description, screenshots, etc. Only when the file gets updated does it show as updated on your Favorites list. The actual file update date is also listed on the file's description page.

PhanxChat hasn't actually been updated since 12-05-2008 at 01:15 AM, as listed on the addon's description page, which is why you haven't seen an update for it in your favorites. But she probably tweaked her description or something for it, which caused it to show up in the recently updated list.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-14-09, 01:21 AM   #6
mrdummy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hmm, only description text changes causes a new place in latest 200 submissions? That is bad idea.

Let's see: on main page is 200 submissions called Download info. It means new of updated files, right?
That means if it goes higher in 200 submissions list, it should have updated file. That is what i think here. But if many actors changes only texts, i don't know what is really updated in the list. A misleading list. The 200 submissions list shows download link and download counters. That must means there are updated files! Not changed texts or pictures.

But where is the logic? It's good that My Favorites shows really de file updates, but 200 submissions list lose good view a bit on updated files.

Is that not a bit wrong? What do you think?
Or we need two indicators here. One for file update, another for only information and picture update. That is much better to see the difference.
01-15-09, 02:55 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The "Last 200 Updates" list is there for people who are interested in seeing what's going on with the site as a whole. It is not meant to be a way for you to keep track of new versions of addons you use.

If you want to keep track of new addon versions, use the "Favorites" feature. That's what it's there for.

We've explained how things work. Nothing is broken. Everything is working as intended. Maybe you misunderstood, but now that you understand what the intended purpose of each list is, there's really not any point in arguing that the list is wrong, because it's not wrong -- you're just trying to use it wrong. Use the site the way it was meant to be used.
01-15-09, 11:43 AM   #8
mrdummy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You may have right.

But if i use stupid mode (a newbie mode):
I look only at the site what i read. Do i read there "Download info", then it should be the list with new and updated downloadable addons.
Same for Top Downloads and Top Fav's tabs.

But that the list changes also with only text update (description or bugs), that is a bit weird. There is no new or updated downloadable file, it's just only text on the addon page. Why is it in the list called "Download list"? And when you click at "View more", it's not more called "New & updated Download list" but it's "Latest 200 submissions". That is difference, even it means a bit same point.

And there is main group "WoWInterface Downloads". Does it tell about just changed descriptions? No. It tells something about downloadable files. Because the word "Download" is clearly here.

It's only the matter which words you choose to give a name to the list. You should give for example "Addon news" or "Addon list". Then it's possible with new text update or new addon file. It is generally correct.

Here i cannot "download" descriptions, that is why it looks a bit strange. I know your site runs perfectly without bugs, My Favorites has no problems. It's only the small point how you look against the whole site as newbie. So, if you read for example "Download list" there, then you think you can download something there. That is only how the site tells against you with some words.
Fair thinking, what do the word "download" generally means to many people? You know it means it has also changed descriptions, but for me and another new people, they keep thinking about "i can download files there". Download file, not description.

If you dislike what i say, then it's over. It's good site, very good. It's only about very small strange point about the true meaning of the "Download list" in generally way. That is all. You use it also for changed addon descriptions, which can put some people on the wrong leg. Also for new people.

I use internet for many years, but this is strange for me. I use also another addon sites for example WowUI, but they doesn't go up with only changed description. That is the difference between another sites and you sites. They works good in navigation so i don't have confused mind what is going on here...

Thank you. They are my last words for now, i hope you know what i tell about the Download list meaning.
01-15-09, 12:58 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, we do know what you mean. I look through the latest 200 list when doing the Pick of the Week, myself, and sometimes there are things I need to skip over that weren't actually updated. It's all up to Dolby, though, as to whether or not this is something he'd like to change.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » My Favorites doesn't work well