04-11-12, 01:00 AM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for mouse recommendations

I've been using a basic Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 5-button mouse for the last 10 years, and while it still works great, I'm looking to upgrade. However, I'm having trouble finding a modern mouse that I don't hate, and I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas.

Based on my experience using my own mouse vs using other people's mice, my criteria are:
  1. Back and foward buttons on opposite sides of the mouse.
  2. Symmetrical shape.
    I'm strictly right-handed, but every "ergonomic" mouse shaped for the right hand I've ever used has driven me nuts.
  3. Large size and decent (or adjustable) weight.
    Original Xbox controller was the best, 'nuff said.
  4. At least 5 buttons, but does not have a whole numpad on the side.
    I am not really that excited about 6+ buttons, since apparently Windows doesn't support them as mouse buttons, and the software just fakes it by binding those buttons to infrequently used keys like PageUp/PageDown or running a macro, neither of which can completely replace a mouse button in WoW due to the way it handles clicks vs keypresses... unless you use the Official WoW Gaming Mouse with WoW art all over it and 34904832 buttons on the side, and then Blizzard will go along with the mouse software and agree that they're real mouse buttons.
  5. Not wireless.

I've already tried the Razer Lachesis and the SteelSeries Sensei, and sent them both back.

The SteelSeries was nice and big, with a classic mouse shape and buttons that weren't too stiff but still had good tactile feedback when clicked. On the down side, the side buttons were too far back (I could get the left ones by lifting and folding my thumb, but the right ones were impossible to get without totally repositioning my hand), the mouse wheel was a little stiff, and the slippery chrome finish was too shiny and, well, slippery.

The Razer looked cool but the long, flat shape was actually pretty annoying to use. The side buttons were way too stiff, and the rectangular sides coupled with the top of the mouse being much wider than the bottom meant that it was really hard to reach the right-side buttons (ring/pinky fingers). It also was much lighter than the SteelSeries, though I did like the matte black slightly-rubbery finish better.

Also, the extra buttons on both led me to discover the Windows-only-supports-5-mouse-buttons issue described in #4 above. While the price is not really an issue, I do feel like it's a waste of money to spend $30+ more for extra buttons when I can't fully utilize them.

I might try the SteelSeries Kana, which just has one button on each side. Based on the product photos though, I'm concerned that the side buttons are also going to be too far back.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Phanx : 04-11-12 at 01:03 AM.
04-11-12, 02:39 AM   #2
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I've been using a R.A.T. 5 for a while, and it mostly fits criteria. It's not symmetrical at all, though. The weight is adjustable with the 5 and 7 series, and the length is also adjustable. You don't need to re-position your thumb to hit the forward/backward buttons at all, and there's even a side-scroll wheel above them that can also be programmed for use as back/forward (much easier to use this way, even). 5 and 7 are mostly the same, except 7 is more adjustable, and 6400 DPI twin laser vs 5600 DPI laser in the 5. I've found that properly adjusted, it fits your hand much better than any other mouse on the market.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat5.htm
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

PS: I agree, the original Xbox controller was the best. I have big hands, and the 360 controller is pretty freaking cramped.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
04-11-12, 08:47 AM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've had a logitech g9x for a few years. It's accurate, reliable and fairly customizable, but if you need to palm your mice it's not for you.
04-11-12, 11:48 AM   #4
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've had 2 Razer Diamondbacks, 2 Razer DeathAdder (one of them 3.5G) and a Razer Mamba. The latter of these models share the same design as far ergonomy goes.

The Diamondback has gone out of production, thus unavailable.

I would not recommend the Mamba, due to the fact the laser is not working well (tracking z-axis makes it sensitive to vibrations), aswell its very expensive (although wireless).

The DeathAdder I would recommend, its very ergonomic, has a nice weigth (148g), and comes in a left-handed version aswell.

Last edited by p3lim : 04-11-12 at 11:58 AM.
04-11-12, 12:15 PM   #5
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Razor Orochi... it's what you're looking for 100%... it 'CAN' be wireless for those moments on the go and needing a quick mouse, but is 'also' and dominantly used as a wired USB mouse.

Look that one up, I've had mine now for what feels like forever, but it's the best mouse I've ever owned and used, and I've had all of the Razor and Logitech top-rated mice.
04-11-12, 06:05 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
I've been using a R.A.T. 5 for a while, and it mostly fits criteria.
Hmm. I know a guy who has one of those. It doesn't look very comfortable, but next time I see him I'll ask if I can play with it.

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I've had a logitech g9x for a few years. It's accurate, reliable and fairly customizable, but if you need to palm your mice it's not for you.
The palm of my hand never touches the mouse. I mostly hold the mouse with my fingertips, with the heel of my hand on the mousepad, and occasionally rest the front of my hand (whatever the hand equivalent of the ball of your foot is) on the back of the mouse.

Also, that mouse has the back/forward buttons both on the thumb side, and no buttons on the other side. I use one like that at work, and even for just basic stuff like web browsing I'm always hitting the wrong one, and having to move my thumb to use each button is annoying.

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
The DeathAdder I would recommend, its very ergonomic, has a nice weigth (148g), and comes in a left-handed version aswell.
Back and forward buttons are on the same side.

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
Razor Orochi... it's what you're looking for 100%... it 'CAN' be wireless for those moments on the go and needing a quick mouse, but is 'also' and dominantly used as a wired USB mouse.
Hmm. It looks very small, like a laptop mouse. Or am I looking at the wrong one in the comparion photo on the Razer site?

After looking around at the options, I'm beginning to think I should just stock up on 10-year-old Microsoft Intellimouses and use those forever.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Looking for mouse recommendations