05-14-16, 03:26 PM   #1
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How are you guys posting Legion addons on curse?

I don't recall what I've done in years past but for the past couple expansions I've basically ignored curse during the beta phase. Is there a method of posting addons on curse that can be limited those with the Legion client?

05-14-16, 03:37 PM   #2
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Gello View Post
Is there a method of posting addons on curse that can be limited those with the Legion client?
Game versions top out at 6.2.4 and there isn't a "Legion' category so I'd have to go with 'nope.'

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 05-14-16 at 03:40 PM.

05-14-16, 04:19 PM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you are using the repository system, clone your own repo. The project description and Curse page will still say 6.2.4 but your ToC can be 70000.

Then put a link to the cloned repo in your main project description.

The Curse Client should recognize the newer version once installed, even doing no-lib-strip if you use that, but you will need to install the AddOn manuallly. The Client won't automatically go from main to cloned repository.

On the other hand, if you are manually uploading zips to Curseforge, you will have to wait until patch 7.0.3 drops on live servers.

05-14-16, 05:56 PM   #4
Gello
A Molten Giant
Thanks. I prefer doing it manually so I'll wait until the pre-patch.

05-15-16, 01:26 PM   #5
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
I just write my addon with logic inside that determines whether it is running a version that changes API usage, etc. so the same addon can be used in live and beta.

05-15-16, 09:47 PM   #6
ebonyfaye
A Fallenroot Satyr

am using github for my beta release. using it more to track changes i made more then a public release.

05-16-16, 10:25 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Turns out you can upload zips manually. Since Curseforge and Wowace don't yet support patch 7.x, you'd still want to put a note in your main description, preferably with the date.

Something like:
May 16, 2016

All zips created on or after this date are for the Legion expansion or 7.0.x pre-expasion patch, and will not work with live Warlords of Draenor servers. This starts with MyAddOn version 1234 and newer.
The Curse Client will update to newer versions, but if people can't or won't read, you aren't to blame!

05-16-16, 12:21 PM   #8
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
...if people can't or won't read, you aren't to blame!
I look at it this way: If Curse can't get its act together and be beta-/author-friendly, ignore 'em.

Heh, or put a big notice at the top of the project "For LEGION-BETA version of the addon, see [Link-To-WoW-Interface]"

Also, I doubt if that data would be displayed to users on the curse update client so you'd just screw over your users. If you must do that, you'd have to code differences with client-version-aware wrappers, which is just extra crap for authors to deal with. An author shouldn't have to code around the delivery site.

05-20-16, 01:51 AM   #9
Simca
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
I just write my addon with logic inside that determines whether it is running a version that changes API usage, etc. so the same addon can be used in live and beta.
I also use this approach.

It's safer and as long as you consistently use the same detection variable throughout (I use a local 'isLegion' that is limited to addon-scope), it is easy to update everything once 7.0 is out to no longer support 6.x clients (just pull out all the code from those 'if' statements and trash the 'else' statements).

Everybody wins.

05-20-16, 11:23 AM   #10
galvin
A Frostmaul Preserver
I'm just going to upload and tag it something like 'legion beta' . I already have a check in the mod to display a message box if the user tries to use it on live. Just way too many changes to make it work for both.

This is on curse

But would be nice if curse had a way to tag addons for legion beta.

05-27-16, 08:00 AM   #11
Gello
A Molten Giant
Curse can tag files for 7.0.3 now. I'm not sure yet if the curse client will ignore 7.0.3 updates for WoD clients. I'll have to do more testing when I get time tonight.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » How are you guys posting Legion addons on curse?