07-23-07, 02:46 PM   #1
Serph
A Murloc Raider
addon hell

Note: i have searched a few faqs on this, im still a bit lost

Basically, i have never been able to properly download addons, ever. i've been trying to download:

http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/6404/

Yet, after doing what i think is correct i still see now addons button at the character select screen

This is what im doing:
1. Go to http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/6404/ and choose to download the file

2. Next, i unzip the file to: My Documents\Unzipped\the-salvation-pack-the-salvation-pack-1-2

3. From there, i go to my Documents and literally do a: copy => paste of the file into the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

Is that all i should be doing? im still lost...i tried following: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...11381215&sid=1
07-23-07, 02:54 PM   #2
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

First thing that came to mind was , Are you enabling "load out of date AddOns" ? It's in the top right hand corner of the AddOn page selected via the character selection. I just woke up and power read through that I'll read it again when i can see though
07-23-07, 02:57 PM   #3
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Do you do have a separate folder for each addon under the Addons directory?

For example, if I was to install Decursive, I would extract the files to a location (like you have done), making sure that I had the "Extract with full file name" (an option that reads similar to that) enabled. That way, it extracts the files with any folder names as well.

I would then copy==>paste the folder into the "World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons" directory.

If all went well it would look like: "World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\Decursive\*.*", where Decursive is its own file and all files are inside that file.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
07-23-07, 02:58 PM   #4
Serph
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Qynova
First thing that came to mind was , Are you enabling "load out of date AddOns" ? It's in the top right hand corner of the AddOn page selected via the character selection. I just woke up and power read through that I'll read it again when i can see though
There is no addon button at the character select screen
07-23-07, 03:01 PM   #5
Serph
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Geboran
Do you do have a separate folder for each addon under the Addons directory?

For example, if I was to install Decursive, I would extract the files to a location (like you have done), making sure that I had the "Extract with full file name" (an option that reads similar to that) enabled. That way, it extracts the files with any folder names as well.

I would then copy==>paste the folder into the "World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons" directory.

If all went well it would look like: "World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\Decursive\*.*", where Decursive is its own file and all files are inside that file.

Im pretty sure there is a seperate folder for each. Basically, after going into interfae/addons i see:

the-salvation-pack (among other default addons).

after clicking it there are a whole bunch of other folders
07-23-07, 03:05 PM   #6
Geboran
Do you see the default Blizzard folders that they always add upon load up?

If you've recently added the addons, have you completely exited WoW and started it back up?

If you have, I suggest that you delete all folders in the Addons directory with "Blizzard" in front of them, and start up WoW again.

Also, any time when working with addons, you want to make sure that the WoW client is closed (not just logged out) before making any changes.
07-23-07, 03:08 PM   #7
Serph
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Geboran
Do you see the default Blizzard folders that they always add upon load up?

If you've recently added the addons, have you completely exited WoW and started it back up?

If you have, I suggest that you delete all folders in the Addons directory with "Blizzard" in front of them, and start up WoW again.

Also, any time when working with addons, you want to make sure that the WoW client is closed (not just logged out) before making any changes.
I do see the default blizzard folders

I have been exited out of WoW the entire time

Why would deleting all the blizz folders help? Just a bit confused
07-23-07, 03:13 PM   #8
Geboran
It causes Blizzard to "refresh" their addons. I've heard that it can help with problems when people don't see the addons folder on the left side of the character selection screen. Doesn't hurt, I guess.
07-23-07, 03:19 PM   #9
Vynista
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
extract the files from that zip to your desktop then copy to the addons folder so when u open the addons folder u should see all the diff mods in that pack not a folder with the name of the pack . exp.. world of warcraft/interface/addons/ace2 . the last name in that line is a folder that is in that pack which i downloaded so i could see what u were working with . so when u open the addons folder u should see folders with the names ace2,DBM_API,DBM_battlegrounds, DBM_GUI, and so on . to carify u cannot have those listed above inside another folder named the savlation pack with all those inside of it and then place it in the addons folder u need to have all those seperate folders moved into the addons folder . Hope u catch what i am saying lol .
07-23-07, 03:22 PM   #10
Purity
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Serph
Note: i have searched a few faqs on this, im still a bit lost

Basically, i have never been able to properly download addons, ever. i've been trying to download:

http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/6404/

Yet, after doing what i think is correct i still see now addons button at the character select screen

This is what im doing:
1. Go to http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/6404/ and choose to download the file

2. Next, i unzip the file to: My Documents\Unzipped\the-salvation-pack-the-salvation-pack-1-2

3. From there, i go to my Documents and literally do a: copy => paste of the file into the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

Is that all i should be doing? im still lost...i tried following: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...11381215&sid=1
OK, all you needed to do was OPEN the Salvations-pack-1-2....copy all the folders within (which are the actual addons) into your addon folder. Just putting the pack itself in the addon folder will not work, it has no .toc file which signals WoW that an addon is present and creates an "addon button" at the character selection screen.

Just open the pack, remove all the addons and place them in your addon folder. You will then have addons.

I Dl's the pack myself and seems to be about 17 addons inside the folder, along with directions on how to extract the "addons" to your addon folder. Also, seems to be an html document for you to read about raiding. Good luck and enjoy!!
07-23-07, 03:25 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Serph
I've bolded your problem.

You have folder-in-folder syndrome. When extracting mods, do NOT create a new folder or destroy the old folder hierarchy. What you DO want to do is right-click your .zip file and select "extract to here" - this will PRESERVE the folder hierarchy the mod author created, thus allowing WOW to see the addon and the addon's files to all load properly.

The file you are attempting to download is a compilation - a collection of various mods that someone zipped up together for you to install all of them at once.

Currently, you have: WoW\Interface\AddOns\the-salvation-pack-the-salvation-pack-1-2\20ish addon folders

What you NEED to have is: WoW\Interface\AddOns\20ish addon folders

edit: it seems I'm a slow typer today and two people hit the nail on the head before I could post. Good job, guys.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 07-23-07 at 03:28 PM.
07-23-07, 03:25 PM   #12
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You mentioned you have read some FAQ but have you checked this one:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f..._howto_install

Especially the part "Having Troubles" which even includes screenshots on how it should (and should not) be installed
If you pay really close attention to the sub-folders you should be all right.
07-23-07, 08:48 PM   #13
Serph
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah
I've bolded your problem.

You have folder-in-folder syndrome. When extracting mods, do NOT create a new folder or destroy the old folder hierarchy. What you DO want to do is right-click your .zip file and select "extract to here" - this will PRESERVE the folder hierarchy the mod author created, thus allowing WOW to see the addon and the addon's files to all load properly.

The file you are attempting to download is a compilation - a collection of various mods that someone zipped up together for you to install all of them at once.

Currently, you have: WoW\Interface\AddOns\the-salvation-pack-the-salvation-pack-1-2\20ish addon folders

What you NEED to have is: WoW\Interface\AddOns\20ish addon folders

edit: it seems I'm a slow typer today and two people hit the nail on the head before I could post. Good job, guys.
There is no extract option, all i can do i copy ==> paste...

(yes, i am right clicking)

Thanks for all the responses also ^^
07-23-07, 10:24 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
When you right-click on the .zip file, not on the folder. What software are you using to extract your compressed files?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » addon hell