03-17-09, 01:52 PM   #21
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Somebody needs to learn how copyright works...
HEHE ... no kiding.

One thing I can say is at least they are fairly quick at removing the add-ons. They should just make it easy on them selves and remove them all.

If anyone needs it I send an email using the "Contact Us" link in the top right of THIS page

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-17-09 at 01:56 PM.
03-17-09, 02:03 PM   #22
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
They should just make it easy on them selves and remove them all.
They're not going to do that, their entire business model is mirroring free software to get ad money. Throw in the fact that they're using the "it's fine till someone asks us to stop" approach...
03-17-09, 02:04 PM   #23
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The PM was from "markerfit" and it basically asked for permission to host the addon and gave an email address which they requested I use to reply. I have not replied and since they apparently preemptively removed my addon, I don't plan on doing so. (Note: I'll check in on this thread a few times today, but soon I'll be going out of town for about a week so if you need more info from me, now's the time to ask.)
03-17-09, 02:04 PM   #24
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You can also contact them via this page.
03-18-09, 08:10 AM   #25
Kyc
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Wait, what? They used our site to contact you? Mind giving me the name of the account that contacted you, please?

Has anyone else been contacted by them via this site?
PM From softpedia:
Hi Kyc,

Softpedia would like to ask for your permission to include you work in our game database.
Please reply to us on -email-removed-by-request-of-softpedia- with your answer. All credits will go to you and the hosting is free.
Best wishes and keep up the good work.
PMID 72351

Last edited by Seerah : 03-18-09 at 09:12 AM.
03-18-09, 08:23 AM   #26
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Seems these guys are desperate for Ad revenue (aka more eyeballs to see their ads). Then again Softpedia is a Romanian site and thus likely don't have a friggen clue (or more likely, simply don't care) about what kind of a mess they are getting themselves into.
03-18-09, 08:59 AM   #27
colonp
A Defias Bandit
I received the following PM on this site:

Private Message: Permission
Today, 10:21 AM
softpedia
A Kobold Labourer

Permission
Hi colonp,

Softpedia would like to ask for your permission to include you work in our game database.
Please reply to us on -email-removed-by-request-of-softpedia- with your answer. All credits will go to you and the hosting is free.
Best wishes and keep up the good work.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-18-09 at 09:05 AM.
03-18-09, 09:12 AM   #28
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
The email address has been removed upon request of softpedia. They claimed the PM was confidential when there is no terms that claim our PM system is confidential. We do however have rules of posting personal information and that is the only reason I removed their email address.

We will be reviewing their actions and may ban them if they continue to use our PM system to solicit AddOn Authors. The staff of this site need to review their actions first.

They are reading this thread however I suggest you contact them using their "contact us" link to inform them of their copyright violations if they are hosting your AddOns with out your permission.

edit: after reviewing the account the user sent a couple dozen PM's to authors soliciting them for hosting their addons. This user has been banned.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-18-09 at 09:25 AM.
03-18-09, 03:51 PM   #29
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Somebody needs to learn how copyright works...
So about that plan to report them to Google and get them blacklisted from the internets largest ad provider?
03-18-09, 03:54 PM   #30
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

*shhhhh* Dolby says they're listening....
03-18-09, 05:07 PM   #31
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
They are reading this thread however I suggest you contact them using their "contact us" link to inform them of their copyright violations if they are hosting your AddOns with out your permission.
Good, then I'll take the opportunity to state that they shouldn't even bother PM, emailing, writing to me, using hand/smoke signals etc to get permission to host anything of mine, because the answer would be no.
03-19-09, 07:56 PM   #32
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

I decided to do a little google search to see what i could find for addon sites. Not sure if i am right here but

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/m...craft/mod.html

i see a bunch of mods here, not really sure how to tell if these authors are registered here. though...still poking around
03-20-09, 08:01 PM   #33
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Yeah, softpedia has posted both my addon (PortalBox) and oooold hobby project Mac webkit browser without my permission... will have to get ahold of them.
03-21-09, 09:17 PM   #34
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Elloria View Post
I decided to do a little google search to see what i could find for addon sites. Not sure if i am right here but

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/m...craft/mod.html

i see a bunch of mods here, not really sure how to tell if these authors are registered here. though...still poking around
Hey Lothie, yer LS art pack is at that site. Giving ya a heads up in case you didn't put it there.
03-22-09, 12:20 AM   #35
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Bones1998 View Post
To all the addon writers out there, i thank you for all that you've done for the world of warcarft world. But unfortunately for all the writers out there that never copyrighted their work, you will be out of luck once the corporations get a hold of your hard work, sad to say but once they copyright it, it becomes theirs, and and theirs alone. They have lawyers on their side saying its theirs, and paperwork.
That's not how copyright works. I have "paperwork" too.
03-22-09, 12:55 AM   #36
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Please don't turn this thread into a debate about copyright. It's about a site hosting mods without permission. Period.
03-23-09, 11:16 PM   #37
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
/sigh

Please don't post misinformation. You are incorrect on multiple points.
03-23-09, 11:30 PM   #38
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Filing for a copyright does not provide irrefutable proof that the copyright belongs to you. If anyone could just pick up an unregistered publication and register it as their copyright and thus suddenly gain all the things copyright grants, there would be none of this talk about copyright existing from the moment of creation regardless of registration.

In short, if you can prove that you were the first to create the work, you can prove the copyright belongs to you. Any good school will teach you that the FIRST thing you do is sign and date your drafts. It doesn't matter if it's a sketch on a damn bar napkin, you sign and date it because someday you may need it to prove your claims.

And here in the programming world, that means using a version control system that track timestamps.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Another one of those "sites hosting without permission" threads