03-17-06, 10:18 AM   #1
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

A way arround the Hook Move Keys

Ok,

I have no idea where I should have posted this so I will post it here, autobuff mods all use the 'Hook Movement Button' trick to help them do what they do...

Why don't you hook it to the right mouse click when needed...

Have something flash across the screen like "Need Buffs" or something like that. Then all the player needs to do is Right Click to cast the buffs in order

What do u think? May be a way to save a lot of the Auto Buff Mods.
03-17-06, 10:33 AM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah that will work. You can overlay the screen with a transparent button to receive an OnClick and act on it, then hide the button and further clicks will move.

For the keyboard it can be done the same way. We can't call movement, but we can change bindings. So a workaround there is when a buff needs cast, swap the key binding for "MOVEFORWARD" with your mod, and once your mod does its thing it reverts the bindings.
03-17-06, 10:40 AM   #3
AnduinLothar
Nobody of Importance

don't bother with the frame, just hook the WorldFrame OnClick scripts.
03-18-06, 01:16 PM   #4
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ha!

And I can't write addons to save my life... If I'm good for anything, its ideas...

Now I hope all the mod writers that have 'Hook on movement key' add-ons take a look see at this topic and how it can help them save their addons!
03-19-06, 06:05 AM   #5
dafire
Premium Member
And the reaction from blizzard will be more restrictions what addons can do ...
03-23-06, 09:03 AM   #6
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by dafire

well hold on, what I was sudjesting is not something which I think Blizz would have an issue with.

In essece, lets say we have a buff mod.... AutoBuff... normaly this hooks the movement key so as you move, it casts the spells, requrining no real thought on the players part (and no control mind you, you may be low on mana, or not want buff X up)

What I propose is a way for the player to not only chose what he wants to do, but make it easy to do so.

In essece the mod temp replaces the right mouse click and runes a macro (If,Then) for each buff...

If you dont want the buff, maybe left click once?
03-23-06, 11:17 AM   #7
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Addons are not meant to play the game for us, and they're not meant to do anything "automatically". That's what they broke, and only that.

There's way too much FUD going around about this damn patch. What did it do:

* Broke mods that hook movement keys to "automate" something, whether it be buffing, decursing, etc.
* Broke mods that do something "automatically" that is intended to be initiated by the user (i.e. mana conversation).

They don't hate the idea of decursive.. because the de-curser still needs to decide what to do when where and how. They don't like decursive or others autmatically decursing the entire raid every time you move, without true interaction.

Is a healer spamming a key going to be able to mana conserve in 1.10.. sure.. but they won't be on the top of their game.

It's not all doom and gloom.. it just plain makes sense.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
03-23-06, 11:20 AM   #8
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Mods can decide what spell to cast for you (buffs are perfect, using it for heals is.. meh.. not the best idea, learn2hael). Mods can decide what spells you need to decurse/dispel/cure someone. That's just logic.. if they're diseased, cast abolish disease.. no issues there. Mods can provide functionality and reminders.

Mods can't cast spells for you.
Mods can't cancel spells for you.

Mods can't do anything in reaction to you moving (they shouldn't need to).

Whats so difficult about this?
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
03-23-06, 03:25 PM   #9
dafire
Premium Member
I think "hooking" mouseclick by a fullscreen transparent button is comparable with hooking movement keys .. clicking is just something you do all the time like moving and you don't need to do press a key or press a special button so it's autoplay for me.

I wonder how a solution to prevent this by blizzard would look like...

Last edited by dafire : 03-23-06 at 03:30 PM.
03-23-06, 03:30 PM   #10
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
In 1.10 you can't "hook" mouseclicks. You can hook WorldFrame:OnMouseUp and WorldFrame:OnMouseDown. You can't do anything other than basic information (getting the mouseover target). You cannot cast spells or automate anything from these clicks.

Please stop spreading misinformation.
03-23-06, 03:32 PM   #11
dafire
Premium Member
did you read my post ? I never said something about actually hook mousclicks. I put "hooking" in quotes because I think a fullscreen transparent button is comparable with a real hook..
03-23-06, 04:09 PM   #12
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
And I'm not talking about a fully transparent button, I'm talking about hooking the OnMouseUp and OnMouseDown, which is the correct method. I know you were referring to a button, but there are two different things going on here, neither of which can automate anything.

Either way, you cannot both cast a spell (or cancel a spell) and call the associated blizzard function at the same time. What does that mean? It means that the best we can do is create a big button, that is only active some of the time. This is NO different from popping a button up that says "Click here to buff Inner Fire", because the game won't respond to your click in the way you'd expect it to.
03-24-06, 02:48 AM   #13
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Cladhaire
They don't hate the idea of decursive..
BTW.. this is wrong.. I don't know if there is an Archive of old Blizzard posts because Slouken has postet several times that decursive does more than the designers want and that, if they could breake it without breaking their own ui they would do it.

I copied one of the posts from the worldofwar.net shredder to our guild forum:
Title: Re: Blue: Decursive = Bannable 3rd Party Program?
Poster: slouken
Date (MEZ): 05.09.2005 [14:28]
Original Post: Click here

Posting:
I might point out that the designers would like to disable it, but until that's solved, nobody should be banned for using it.
another one around 30-09-2005, after a warlock was crying in the wow forums:

Originally Posted by slouken
FYI, the designers feel that Decursive goes beyond the intent of the UI scripting system, and if they had an easy way to disable it, they would.

However, for the moment, it's fine to use.
I don't know if they actually will breake decursive because it will piss a lot of big guilds, aand they would probably have to rebalance a few boss fights, but with their code signing stuff they could breake it now without problems for their own ui .. but not without breaking a bunch of other mods... Maybe the higher costs for the decurse spells already was their reaction..
We will see what the next patches will bring us

Last edited by dafire : 03-24-06 at 03:02 AM.
03-24-06, 03:25 AM   #14
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Fine, i'm done with this. You obviously know everything and have personal insight to the developers minds. I'm sorry to have every questioned you. Please continue spread doom and gloom throughout the forums-- its exactly what we need to bolster the community.

P.S. I can decurse just as fast as anyone simply by using the BLIZZARD designed functions that tell me which debuffs I can dispel off another player. As a matter of fact, this functionality is in their OWN raid UI. I dont' use decursive or CT_RaidAssist nor some magic decursing function.
03-24-06, 04:14 AM   #15
dafire
Premium Member
I don't think I know everything but I follow the official UI Forum for a long time and I don't need a personal insight into developers minds to simply quote their forum posts

In fact it was you that "had this insight into developers mind" in the first place when you claimed to know that they don't have anything against decursive. I just quotet them to proove you false and think about your own statements before charging others for spreading misinformation.

Last edited by dafire : 03-24-06 at 04:23 AM.
03-24-06, 07:36 AM   #16
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Things have changed since then, and you're too near-sighted to see that. Blizzard has given us the tools to make the addons less "bot-like" and to require more interaction with the game in order to properly decurse.

You will never get around Warlocks having issue in battlegrounds, because Druids and Mages can both decurse quite cheaply. They don't need addons to do this-- all they have to do is watch their BLIZZARD Raid UI, and click and cast on the units that show debuffs. Its really quite simple.

Either way.. you're talkign about nothign at this point.

In the current build of 1.10 there is no known way to "automate" the casting of spells or SpellStopCasting() due to the hooking and taint limitations in the system. The CLOSEST you can come is forcing you to click twice to interact with the world during these times (potentially propblematic), or forcing you to use each movement key forward (Again.. intrusive to gameplay). Now that we've reached this point, the best we can come is by sitting and spamming a single key which runs some code. If someone is sitting and spamming a key, they are not able to do anything else except run around-- which cripples them, making it less of an issue.
03-24-06, 05:40 PM   #17
dafire
Premium Member
The original decusive never casted any spells for you .. it was always key bound. It has a priority list and choose the target for you and choose the right spell for you (assuming you play a class that can decurse different kinds of debuffs) and that's the designers problem with decusive. It has nothing to do with any hooks or automatic casting, it's just the fact that you don't have to think about debuffing just hitting a key continously. You don't have to thing about intelligent group positions since it skips out of range targets, you never loose mana by accidentially debuff a person that's cured by an other person .. in other words you have advantage above other people without the mod. If you tell me you can manually decurse as fast and precise without decursive as someone with decurive you are simply a liar

Just the fact it's not affected by 1.10 don't mean the devs changed their mind and love it now

I guess you are to ignorant to accept that and even writing in bold, shouting or crying won't change that
03-24-06, 08:38 PM   #18
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
If you tell me you can manually decurse as fast and precise without decursive as someone with decurive you are simply a liar
I'm better, because I dont have to set up priority. I set my own priority. Blizzard Raid UI with debuff filtering and click-casting.. You can't buy precision like that.

Regardless, stop being all doom and gloom.. its all just ridiculous FUD. Get over it.
03-31-06, 04:18 AM   #19
Sarenity
A Murloc Raider
Wink Any GOOD info?

I really miss the auto buff function and was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a macro, or knows how to make an addon that casts 2 self buffs with a click, either keyboard or mouse. I play a shaman and really want this back for my weapon buff and lightning shield. So, please, if anyone has anything useful to suggest do post or pm me. And NO, I don't want to hear crap like above saying to buff the "right" way. =P Thanks all! =)
03-31-06, 04:43 AM   #20
Keppler
An Aku'mai Servant
If you tell me you can manually decurse as fast and precise without decursive as someone with decurive you are simply a liar
I can manually decurse as fast as, and more precicely than someone with decursive, because I'm making the situational decisions.

Back on Topic ->
2 self buffs with one click is a no-no.l

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » A way arround the Hook Move Keys