11-17-17, 12:27 PM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Curse.com / Twitch / Getting addon authors here?

tl;dr: does anyone have any ideas of how to get more addon authors to update here in addition to curse?

I went to login to curse today to see if anything updated there that I use. mods.curse.com redirects to curseforge.com, and requires 3rd party cookies, and/or a twitch account.

I run Linux (Ubuntu, 17.04 at the moment) and I have 3rd party cookies turned off as a general security/privacy thing. The *only* reason I want curse is for the few things that don't update here, and I'm *not* at *all* interested in twitch.

I've repeatedly asked the various authors whose addons I interact with to update here. Curse hasn't ever offered notification when an addon updates - I assume they rely on their updater. The curse addon updater doesn't have a linux version, and getting ANOTHER program to work under emulation is beyond my patience/yak shaving. I noticed that they *finally* offered to notify when an addon page got comments, which was after I started telling addon authors about being able to get *that* here also. (Whether it was in the works, or my comments to addon authors had any impact, I don't know.)

Some addon authors started updating here more often. Some moved to add their addons here. Some replied that they can't be bothered, and some never responded/reacted that I could see. I know that they get some money from curse, tho I don't know the details.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else doing outreach? If your comment is going to be 'suck it up', 'get over it', or something else along those lines, please just pass by. If I was willing to permit 3rd party cookies, or add ANOTHER website/password/adstream to my bandwidth, I would have.

I want to thank all the maintainers of this website for doing so. It makes my addon/browsing experience much more pleasant.
-Barleduq
11-17-17, 12:40 PM   #2
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
Any other suggestions? Anyone else doing outreach? If your comment is going to be 'suck it up', 'get over it', or something else along those lines, please just pass by. If I was willing to permit 3rd party cookies, or add ANOTHER website/password/adstream to my bandwidth, I would have.
Honestly that sounds like an entitlement problem. Do you realize you're asking addon authors to start doing double the maintenance work of keeping their addons uploaded to more than one source at once, just for you and your specific needs/configuration, when you don't even pay them and they do it all for free?

To the addon authors, regardless of how valid your reasons may be, you're just one user who decided to be difficult about how you get your addons. If they agree to do it, then cool. If they don't, give them an incentive to do it, something they stand to gain from you, instead of just bothering them over and over trying to convince them (which by the way would make me block you.)
11-17-17, 01:16 PM   #3
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
FWIW, I keep track of who I ask and when. I understand entitlement, and I don't *want* to be that user. I tried hard to keep my requests down to once a year, if that. I *was* logging in to curse to get those addons that did not update here.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the *only* person using Linux, or whose browser has problems with the way Curse has coded their pages, or with multiple various and different animated advertisements running at the same time. And if Curse had offered the benefit of opt-in email notification when an addon updated, and of opt-in email notification when comments were left on the page, I would have been far more likely to remain only there, and only login once a month or so when I had nothing else going on on my computer and could reboot to clear the slog.

I've had at least one addon author say that the process/experience of updating an addon here is BETTER than on curse. And I'm sorry that wowinterface doesn't offer the authors money, but that's out of my control. When I've had extra money, I have donated to addon authors, but that hasn't been for a few years now.

Thank you for replying.
-Barleduq
11-17-17, 01:23 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
If they already use GitHub as their repository they might be interested in this thread. No guarantees.
11-17-17, 02:10 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
An author can also give WoWInterface permission to grab their update and post it here, as a minimal last resort. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51834
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-17-17, 03:44 PM   #6
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
An author can also give WoWInterface permission to grab their update and post it here, as a minimal last resort. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51834
I think this is a good initiative to help making maintaining updates on here more automatic.

@Barleduq: If you aren't willing to create another web account (Twitch) just because you don't want to have yet another web account/password to worry about, keep in mind that addon authors may not be willing to create another web account/password (WoWInterface) to worry about either.

Titan Panel wants their users to create a SourceForge accounts for reporting bugs to their tracker, no-one's gonna want to do that lol... so everyone just sends bug reports in comments on curse and it's a mess. But I digress.

(I figure the bigger addon authors who are already using Git wouldn't really mind the extra effort to upload to WoWI, but I imagine that the less experienced authors who just write their lua and manually zip + upload the folders to Curse wouldn't really be willing to learn all this complicated API stuff, so YMMV if you ask an addon author about that.)
11-17-17, 07:32 PM   #7
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I already PM'd Dolby a few days ago, but that broke when curse updated their site last week. All my addons here are pulled from Curse. Only one of them needs to be updated here, I just haven't got around to it.
11-18-17, 02:22 PM   #8
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
I already PM'd Dolby a few days ago, but that broke when curse updated their site last week. All my addons here are pulled from Curse. Only one of them needs to be updated here, I just haven't got around to it.
I'm afraid this is going to sound paranoid, but is there any thought that Curse/Twitch might have changed things specifically to make that not work? I know I get cynical when an entity starts acting more like a faceless corporation, but that doesn't mean they're deliberately trying to screw others.

I'll look into those other ideas, thanks.

@Ammako, my issue is that twitch, in general, has nothing I'm interested in. Curse had things I was interested in, in ways that were more difficult/annoying for me to access than WoWI, and so I used them VERY minimally. I pretty much avoided them totally until WoD and Master Plan, which was one of the authors that never responded to my request to update here. (I believe I messaged them twice, once when I found them, and once a while later.) And fwiw, I made an account on Github to talk to Tekkub (i think that's the right spelling) about his addons when I saw he was no longer active here. It's not the account per se, but how the site interacts with my computer/Linux in general and whether I feel the site is useful to me.
11-18-17, 07:38 PM   #9
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
I'm afraid this is going to sound paranoid, but is there any thought that Curse/Twitch might have changed things specifically to make that not work? I know I get cynical when an entity starts acting more like a faceless corporation, but that doesn't mean they're deliberately trying to screw others.
I could see trying to prevent automated scripts from pulling downloads straight from the website without going through Curse/Twitch client (or without having to give them page views.)
I won't pretend to know any specific reasons why that may be harmful to Curse, or what WoWI's script may be doing, but if it's not a tinfoil hat reason there must be a genuine reason. Could be a tinfoil hat reason, still.

I mean, they don't even allow batch download of Favorites without using their client (even when there was a Download All button, it just gave you a proprietary file to be used with the client which would then initiate a download-all), and the website redesign removed the ability to quickly download all Favorites at the click of a button each. Just more ways to nudge people into using their client.
11-19-17, 07:38 AM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No tinfoil hats needed. Curse knows we pull at single copy of an addon from their site to upload here as per {the author}'s request.
11-19-17, 02:34 PM   #11
Thubz
An Aku'mai Servant

i always did dislike curse my self just getting a addon on that website is a hussle not to mention that WoWinterface atleast allows mods that dont go inside the Addon folder..

WoWI Rules!
11-19-17, 02:48 PM   #12
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Thubz View Post

WoWI Rules!
^^ Seconded! ^^ (would've used "thumbs up", but...)

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
11-19-17, 03:29 PM   #13
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Just FYI, AddOn Auto pull is working again.
11-19-17, 03:52 PM   #14
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Thubz View Post
i always did dislike curse my self just getting a addon on that website is a hussle not to mention that WoWinterface atleast allows mods that dont go inside the Addon folder..

WoWI Rules!
They do have many sound mods hosted on there, though.

Except I tried to update mine with more sounds the other day, and they kept rejecting the update because "your .zip does not contain a .toc file"
They were literally already hosting prior incomplete versions of the sound mod, so what's the problem??

So I was like eh screw it. Took it down from Curse, and I guess I'll probably put it on WoWI whenever I get around to it later. I didn't know WoWI accepted that kind of mods.
11-19-17, 04:19 PM   #15
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Just FYI, AddOn Auto pull is working again.
Great work! Thanks for the heads-up!

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
They do have many sound mods hosted on there, though.

Except I tried to update mine with more sounds the other day, and they kept rejecting the update because "your .zip does not contain a .toc file"
They were literally already hosting prior incomplete versions of the sound mod, so what's the problem??

So I was like eh screw it. Took it down from Curse, and I guess I'll probably put it on WoWI whenever I get around to it later. I didn't know WoWI accepted that kind of mods.
Honestly, I wouldv'e just tossed an empty .toc file. It would be harmless for that file to be in there when end users unzip your sound files into the WoW install.
11-19-17, 05:00 PM   #16
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
Honestly, I wouldv'e just tossed an empty .toc file. It would be harmless for that file to be in there when end users unzip your sound files into the WoW install.
See, I was going to mention that in my post, but I figure it wouldn't really matter so I didn't.

I actually tried uploading it with adding "(sound mods don't need .toc files btw)" in the Curse file name, and they rejected it.
Then I put a dummy .toc file in the .zip named "this isn't an addon, it doesn't need a toc file.toc" and it was still rejected on the basis of not having a .toc file.

I guess it's possible that they were looking for a .toc file named after the folder, but I couldn't be bothered any more and figured it wasn't really worth my time.

Last edited by Ammako : 11-19-17 at 05:05 PM.
11-19-17, 05:32 PM   #17
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
See, I was going to mention that in my post, but I figure it wouldn't really matter so I didn't.

I actually tried uploading it with adding "(sound mods don't need .toc files btw)" in the Curse file name, and they rejected it.
Then I put a dummy .toc file in the .zip named "this isn't an addon, it doesn't need a toc file.toc" and it was still rejected on the basis of not having a .toc file.

I guess it's possible that they were looking for a .toc file named after the folder, but I couldn't be bothered any more and figured it wasn't really worth my time.
The .toc file part of their hosting system is automated. There's an extremely high chance no one read those names. Thinking about it, it probably looks for a valid .toc file, like the name matching the folder and actual .toc data.
03-07-18, 09:16 PM   #18
kaimox
A Fallenroot Satyr
Alternative curse clients

This is a rather old thread but maybe the OP is still reading. I'm also on Linux and I use a simple python script lcurse to pull updates from curse. At the moment I'm using this fork which works better for me (and Alar is around regularly). That way I don't have to visit the curse site.

Other alternatives are Milhaus-AddOn-Updater and WoW-Addon-Updater which reportedly also covers wowinterface, and another python WOW-Addon-Updater. I haven't tried those because avoiding curse is enough for me, I can handle this site manually and I actually enjoy visiting it.

So @Barleduq: Never despair, in the wonderful world of Linux there is always a solution!

A lot of people on the official forums recommend wowmatrix as an alternative to curse-gone-twitch, so I think these alternative clients (they also work under M$Win) should get more publicity.

On a general note, I'm really sad about the way curse went ... I remember a pleasant community when it still was wowace. With curse the site got more commercial but it was still a good place to go to. Now they won't let me login anymore and I think that's it for me. I don't want an account with twitch, I neither like their TOS nor their privacy statement nor their business in general.
Does the new twitch-curse have any significant advantages for addon authors? If they profit I would maybe rethink my opinion, although, like the OP, I would prefer addon authors to post here.

Last edited by kaimox : 03-07-18 at 09:34 PM.
03-08-18, 05:43 AM   #19
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

On a general note, I'm really sad about the way curse went...
I was sorely tempted to delete my addons from Curse after the Twitch forced-paring (as I don't have nor want a twitch acct) but, as the OP mentioned, there's a lot of folks using Curse -- I get the predominance of my users from there, unfortunately. Even so, I'm still strongly considering it. It's become progressively less author-friendly and corporately-coded (driven by management instead of user need, UX, or efficiency) -- I'm grateful to the WoW Interface folks for the author interface, more-so each time I do an update on curse.
03-08-18, 06:40 AM   #20
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
I was sorely tempted to delete my addons from Curse after the Twitch forced-paring (as I don't have nor want a twitch acct) but, as the OP mentioned, there's a lot of folks using Curse -- I get the predominance of my users from there, unfortunately. Even so, I'm still strongly considering it. It's become progressively less author-friendly and corporately-coded (driven by management instead of user need, UX, or efficiency) -- I'm grateful to the WoW Interface folks for the author interface, more-so each time I do an update on curse.
I did, mostly 'cause I couldn't even access my account anymore, and it wouldn't even let me link a Twitch account to restore access either.
Not really worth the trouble anymore imo. If the addon is big enough, people will google it and find WoWI page for it, or you can spread the word on other fan sites.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Curse.com / Twitch / Getting addon authors here?