View Poll Results: It is worth in 2019?
Yes 2 50.00%
No 0 0%
Yes but with no profits. 3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

05-26-19, 03:29 PM   #1
JustCarlos
A Defias Bandit
Question WoW Addons, still worth to learn?

Hello everyone!
My name is Charly, i´ve been studing video game development since 2015 and i´ve been passionated about making wow addons since Burning Crusade still never tryed to do one.
I think im cappable to fully understand LUA and made those addons i always dreamed but

Heres the question

Are WoW Addons still usefull?

last time i played oficial legion addons were already incorporated and i dont know if others addons could be incorporated ( i havent played any wow since then...)

and... can i get any profit of it?

Im 29 years old and life isnt cheap.
If i have to invest lot of time to produce something of quality i expect to get money of it (from clics, ads, etc)
Can addons be monetized? last time i remember to get all my addons from Curse and i dont believe they pay users for uploading addons.. but maybe you guys know..

well..! iluminate me plz!

Good Bye and sorry for my bad English.!
05-26-19, 05:39 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First off, it's Lua, not LUA. It is the Portuguese word for moon, and not an acronym for anything. Sorry, but that just drives me nuts.

Second, and perhaps more to the point, Blizzard has a strict policy of having the addons be totally free. It may even be in their ToS, but there is (was?) a "stickie" on the official Blizzard World of Warcraft Macro and UI forums about it. It is (was?) probably stickied on most of the forums.

Addon developers do this for free. It's a hobby, not a business. That's probably why addon developers come and go.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
05-26-19, 05:43 PM   #3
JustCarlos
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
First off, it's Lua, not LUA. It is the Portuguese word for moon, and not an acronym for anything. Sorry, but that just drives me nuts.

Second, and perhaps more to the point, Blizzard has a strict policy of having the addons be totally free. It may even be in their ToS, but there is (was?) a "stickie" on the official Blizzard World of Warcraft Macro and UI forums about it. It is (was?) probably stickied on most of the forums.

Addon developers do this for free. It's a hobby, not a business. That's probably why addon developers come and go.

thanks for the reply, i was wondering if the mod comunity was dead or alive...
so Lua and LUA and diferent programing lenguagues? i used it once to code a GTA Samp MP server...

I found that Curse actually pays to the modders and users never pay to use addons they still make some traffic and also ads ... so maybe theres a way to get profit without the enduser having to pay..
05-26-19, 05:53 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I had (have?) a few of my "addons" hosted on Curse, but, when they sold it I just left them go. I never got anything from them.

LUA and Lua are the same thing. People just get the caps key stuck.

EDIT: I just checked and it is still stickied.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...t-policy/24534
\EDIT

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 05-26-19 at 06:01 PM.
05-26-19, 07:53 PM   #5
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by JustCarlos View Post
thanks for the reply, i was wondering if the mod comunity was dead or alive...
so Lua and LUA and diferent programing lenguagues? i used it once to code a GTA Samp MP server...

I found that Curse actually pays to the modders and users never pay to use addons they still make some traffic and also ads ... so maybe theres a way to get profit without the enduser having to pay..
They dont pay wow devs, there used to be a rewards program but ultimately it basically amounted to nothing. That said addons are open source and free to use. This is set by Blizzard policy. You wont earn any kind of income outside of donation or monetizing a service like Zygor Guides (which is really what you get with just using Azeroth Auto pilot for free).
05-26-19, 11:12 PM   #6
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Lua is a fairly simple and very niche language, it takes a couple of days to learn it even if you're a beginner, takes a bit more to master it. Pretty much no one is going to hire you as a primarily Lua developer in 2019. You normally learn it for a hobby project or if it's needed as a scripting language at work. Since you're studying gamedev, you should know that plenty of game engines use Lua to provide some sort of scripting environment or for UIs, but then you still will be doing 80-90% of your work in the engine's primary language or C to implement the API for the UI and stuff.

As for reward programmes, there's one on Curse, but your addon has to be insanely popular to earn you something noteworthy, maybe a hundred bucks a month, if you're lucky and create the next big thing. Otherwise, you're looking at mere dollars a month.

And yeah, your addon has to be free, donations or additional paid features, for instance, TSM Premium, are your only options. But for the latter to work, your addon, once again, has to be really popular.

Basically, what I'm saying is you should do it for fun because you want to

Last edited by lightspark : 05-26-19 at 11:17 PM.
05-27-19, 08:14 AM   #7
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Your code must also be non-obfuscated. However, there were 2 addons with exceptions back in the day which were Peggle and Bejeweled. Blizzard gave them the rights to do so after seeing the original source code.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW Addons, still worth to learn?