05-04-13, 12:05 PM   #1
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Tut]- How to set up herbs/nodes in Carbonite (with pictures and everything!)

I'm writing this tutorial with the hopes it will make things easier for people who have just started using Carbonite.

In this tutorial I will cover Carbonites Gathering functions.

I'm going to assume that the Carbonite maps have been integrated with the Blizzard map - making one map.

Carbonite does not come with the nodes/herbs already loaded in a new install... You have to import them yourself...
To do this, follow these steps...

1, Right click anywhere in the map and select options...

2, Click the little + next to carbonite and go to the "guide and gather" section and click the gather options tab.
In here, import all 3 herbs, mines and misc. This information is then added to carbonite across all your characters.

Now we have that information loaded, we need to get Carbonite to show it to us. To do this follow these steps..

1, Right click the map again and this time click "show"

Select what you want to show on Carbonite's map (mines/herbs) and it will add the nodes to your map.
In this next picture you can see I have imported the mining nodes...

Now for the important bit..

Carbonite has all these nodes on the map, but at the moment you are not tracking them.. This means that if a node is nearby it will NOT show up on the map! -This is the main problem I come across when "fixing" people's problems...

It's very simple to fix...

First, make sure you have trained your gathering skill... lol

Then find your magnifying glass icon on the Carbonite button bar and left click it, select "track minerals/herbs"

This will show a yellow circle when you get within range of an active node. (You should see it in the picture.. There is also a node that was not in the database just to the right of my position.)

Carbonite can also make you a route to follow to gather those nodes quickly...

To do this, go to the area you want to gather in and open the map so it is large...

Right click the map and select route then "current gather nodes"

Carbonite will then use it's built in waypointing system and draw you a route to follow...

I hope this guide helps someone and comments and suggestions are welcome..

JJB

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 05-07-13 at 08:57 AM.

05-04-13, 12:42 PM   #2
ciffor
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up

Fantastic !! Thanks a lot for this fine tut you've made. Very helpful.

One thing though. It would be perfect if the images could be enlarged more than they can now. They're little bit fuzzy.

05-06-13, 11:04 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by ciffor View Post
Fantastic !! Thanks a lot for this fine tut you've made. Very helpful.

One thing though. It would be perfect if the images could be enlarged more than they can now. They're little bit fuzzy.
I agree. 800px X 449px is too small to see any details or text clearly. I guess I'm used to seeing my screen captures equal to the resolution I play in the game; 1920 x 1080. Maybe having each of the images open in a window of their own would allow higher-res images to be seen more clearly?

05-06-13, 11:23 AM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

JimJoBlue, I really like the fact that you took the time to help users understand these basic functions, especially in graphical form!

Reference: Routes; designating specific herbs/mining nodes to display while hiding the remainders:

There's something which has always bothered me, even from days of old before Rythal took over. I still find it extremely difficult in designating only specific herbs/mining nodes to be displayed upon the Carbonite map(s). Note: I never incorporate the Blizzard minimap into the Carbonite map(s). I'm not even going to get into the fact that Carbonite STILL does not display the yellow nodes in its own map(s)! Only the Blizzard minimap shows them. That's why I keep the two map types separated from each other.

In any event, I'd love to have your explanation on how to have Carbonite's map(s) display only those specific herbs/mining nodes that "I can choose" (based upon my current skill level in Herbalism/Mining). I often want to bypass all the herbs/mining nodes that my skill level won't let me access anyway. Currently, it's very confusing and often doesn't even work when trying to select which kinds of herbs or mining nodes I want the map to hide and/or display on the Route tracking itself.

I know you're busy, but please keep this in mind. Maybe even someone else knows how to configure the Route to display only specific types?

05-06-13, 02:38 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
"I'm not even going to get into the fact that Carbonite STILL does not display the yellow nodes in its own map(s)!"

That's because it's not possible. Blizzard provides no way to get information about what's drawn on the minimap, if it was possible we wouldn't even have the integration, it would be just pure carbonite.

05-07-13, 09:05 AM   #6
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
In any event, I'd love to have your explanation on how to have Carbonite's map(s) display only those specific herbs/mining nodes that "I can choose" (based upon my current skill level in Herbalism/Mining). I often want to bypass all the herbs/mining nodes that my skill level won't let me access anyway. Currently, it's very confusing and often doesn't even work when trying to select which kinds of herbs or mining nodes I want the map to hide and/or display on the Route tracking itself.
Unfortunately I don't know how to do this, or even if Carbonite supports this feature (it would be a good one to have though..)

Also because of the image host I use, I can't make the pic's any bigger. They are uploaded at 1366x768 resolution and the site downgrades it to what you see there..

On a side note I'd like to know why you don't integrate the blizz map with Carb's map Kreelor. At least give me a better explanation than you have given above as I really don't understand..

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 05-07-13 at 09:11 AM.

05-07-13, 12:22 PM   #7
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
"I'm not even going to get into the fact that Carbonite STILL does not display the yellow nodes in its own map(s)!"

That's because it's not possible. Blizzard provides no way to get information about what's drawn on the minimap, if it was possible we wouldn't even have the integration, it would be just pure carbonite.
The original Carbonite addon map(s) did show all the POI icons that Blizzard had on its minimap. That's the basis of my dozens of comments about POI's being missing from this newer Carbonite.

05-07-13, 03:54 PM   #8
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The original Carbonite addon map(s) did show all the POI icons that Blizzard had on its minimap. That's the basis of my dozens of comments about POI's being missing from this newer Carbonite.
I would need to see a pic or link to that. I cant ever remember carbonite being able to show you the yellow node without merging the minimap into the "google style map"

As for POI's (mailbox, FP, inn,...ect) yes those are still shown on the "google style map" without having to merge the minimap to it

05-07-13, 04:36 PM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The points of interest that are known, are displayed. The problem is it doesn't know them all, which is what JimJoBlue has been working on, adding the ones that are missing based on the wowhead information (which reminds me need to comment in that thread on something).

Other things like the yellow gathering nodes, or battle pets do not go across and can't go across.

05-07-13, 06:00 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So, how is this different from the ORIGINAL tutorial?

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

05-07-13, 08:07 PM   #11
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

OOhh that's a pretty post, much better than mine.

Someone should move that to the main forum and sticky it.. (Maybe update the pics too.)

05-07-13, 08:23 PM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
except both will be outdated once I get rid of carbonite.nodes.

05-08-13, 07:31 AM   #13
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
So, how is this different from the ORIGINAL tutorial?
jeffy, I read many of those older post again, because there was so much valuable information in them.

I'm going add the link to the 1st page that thread here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...30&postcount=1

Within it, I found the steps which were suggested to select only certain herbs to gather or certain mining nodes to display. I remember that it did work for me "way back when." But, I cannot do the same thing now that Carbonite has been changed.

And, I'm wondering if routing to specific herbs and/or mining nodes will even be possible, since I read that Rythal is planning on eliminating all Carbonite herbs and mining nodes? If those gathering locations are required to be in Carbonite, and therefore necessary to use the Route function (including the ability to select only certain gather-types), then it seems like a step backwards. So far, it hasn't been explained on just how it will work.

I for one don't want to lose some of the better features of Carbonite merely because it makes coding easier. I'd be more than happy to continue submitting actual, known herbing locations and node locations my manually updating the data on a regular basis, assuming that method hasn't been abandoned, too.

05-08-13, 09:43 AM   #14
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I'm not removing the nodes or any features... just the import database, everything in carbonite.nodes came from wowhead the same as gatherer and gathermate.

Once I have the gathermate import finished things will be the same as they are now and work the same. I will also look into having options to only display the specific herbs you want, because yes that information is known (which is why it can draw the correct image), it's just never been used beyond the map image.

05-14-13, 06:21 AM   #15
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

I'm going add the link to the 1st page that thread here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...30&postcount=1

Within it, I found the steps which were suggested to select only certain herbs to gather or certain mining nodes to display. I remember that it did work for me "way back when." But, I cannot do the same thing now that Carbonite has been changed.
Last night I tried the steps outlined in that tutorial and I gotta say that it STILL WORKS!
Totally awesome too.... I didn't know Carb could do that! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jeffy162 and Kreelor.

There seems to be a slight issue with the node image not showing after you have routed through the specific nodes that have been selected.. But once you have the route, it's not a problem.. (I had to keep checking the nodes found with a quick mouseover)
I also found that you had to use your smarts a bit to work out the areas that are best for gathering as Carb will route you to the nearest area that has the type of node you want, rather than route you to the best area or area with the most of that type of node..

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 05-14-13 at 06:24 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » [Tut]- How to set up herbs/nodes in Carbonite (with pictures and everything!)