09-01-12, 04:35 PM   #21
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
OK, I wanted to test something, as I was still wondering why I was seeing a TenTonHammer LUA error for a file in a non-existent file in a non-existent folder in Interface/Addons.

Please note that all changes below are spelling changes only for the plugin.

I edited all the nUI_InfoPanel_Profesion files and changed all references to Profesion to Profession. I also renamed the Interface/Addon folder for the plugin to nUI_InfoPanel_Professions and deleted all nUI_InfoPanel Profesion files in the WTF folder files for the plugin, and then logged into WoW. Once again I got 7 LUA errors for the plugin, BUT, all 7 error messages were referenced to nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions (note the spelling) and NOT to the newly re-installed nUI_InfoPanel_Professions folder and its files with spelling changes.

SO, Dave's patch for the plugin is working just fine and NOT throwing any LUA errors at all.

I have no clue how WoW is finding and reporting file errors on two plugins that are no longer installed anywhere on my system. I think I can safely say that, at least on my system, the WoW error catching routines are wonky. This is officially WEIRD! Maybe you Plugin Gods can figure this one out.

So, as far as my original post about the plugin is concerned, everything is hunky-dory and the plugin is fixed.

Last edited by Coasty : 09-01-12 at 04:40 PM.

09-01-12, 05:23 PM   #22
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Weird :S

Have you tried backing up your WTF folder, deleting it (not the backup), then logging into the game to get it to recreate the WTF folder and it's files from scratch ?

09-01-12, 05:50 PM   #23
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Daveo77 View Post
Weird :S

Have you tried backing up your WTF folder, deleting it (not the backup), then logging into the game to get it to recreate the WTF folder and it's files from scratch ?
Yeah, done that, WoW still screws up and throws errors for two non-existing plugins.

Something, some where, some how, seems to have cached those two plugins so that WoW still sees them is all I can guess. I've done as thorough a hard drive search as I can and can't find anything at all, same for the registry.

Guess I've got to chalk it up to the Gremlins!!! Who says computers can't screw up all on their own!!!

09-01-12, 06:45 PM   #24
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
Do you have Volume Shadow Copy enabled, this is enabled automatically if you have System Protection turned on. I have mine turned off, as I maintain my own full system backups on a separate external drive.

If so, clear all Restore points and create a fresh one, that should fix the issue.

Else, are you putting the addon in the correct Interface folder, as if game is installed to default location (Program Files), then under Vista/7 the game can't write to any folders within Program Files folder, and so stores the Interface and WTF folders elsewhere, usually C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft).

Just two other ideas that I could think of that may cause this issue you are experiencing.

09-03-12, 12:58 AM   #25
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Do you have Volume Shadow Copy enabled, this is enabled automatically if you have System Protection turned on. I have mine turned off, as I maintain my own full system backups on a separate external drive.

If so, clear all Restore points and create a fresh one, that should fix the issue.

Else, are you putting the addon in the correct Interface folder, as if game is installed to default location (Program Files), then under Vista/7 the game can't write to any folders within Program Files folder, and so stores the Interface and WTF folders elsewhere, usually C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft).

Just two other ideas that I could think of that may cause this issue you are experiencing.
With regards to your first idea, like you I also maintain my own full system backups (Macrium Reflect) on a separate external hard drive. Because of that I've had System Restore turned off on my system/data partitions for at least 3 years, but I wasn't aware Volume Shadow Copy might be getting in the way of things. I went to Services and disabled VSC, then logged into WoW to see if doing that made any difference. It didn't, the same 7 errors for 'Profesions' showed up along with the TenTonHammer one. It's getting late so tomorrow I'll re-boot the system to flush things out, then log into WoW and see what happens (got stuff running in the background ATM that I don't want to shut down yet).

I have WoW installed on my F: partition in F:\World of Warcraft. SFAIK, WoW has no problems writing to the game sub-folders in that location. F:\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons is where all my addons are installed, and WTF is also located in that same game primary folder. I looked in my C:\Users\Public folders and went through the Blizzard WoW folders located there and, other than the /World of Warcraft Installer folder, they're all empty. Unless a game forces me to, I _never_ install a game in C:\Program Files.

Hopefully re-booting the system tomorrow afternoon will do the trick. If not, oh well, time to think of something else.

Last edited by Coasty : 09-03-12 at 01:00 AM.

09-03-12, 03:11 AM   #26
UrbanArmitage
An Aku'mai Servant
Thank you to Dave! I have installed Dave's updated version of the InfoPanel Professions addon and it is working perfectly without any Lua errors.

Thank you to Xrystal! I have installed the XMage Portal InforPanel addon and that too is now working without Lua errors.

Thank you both for your efforts.

Last edited by UrbanArmitage : 09-03-12 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Typo and additions

09-03-12, 03:29 AM   #27
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
Your welcome UrbanArmitage

That's ok Coasty. Those were the only other two things I could think of that can cause the issues you have been having.

09-03-12, 02:42 PM   #28
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I did check for that, and the v002 is the same as I'm using atm. Xrystal downloaded v002 and it works for her with no LUA errors, so I'm at loss as to why you're getting the LUA errors.

Also, the spelling error with the mod is not my fault lol. I left it with the spelling error as I didn't want to break the code or worse
Missed this somehow...

As an easy way to try and figure out why I've been getting those LUA errors I went ahead and fixed the plugin spelling errors (profesions -> professions), and the spelling fixed version works just fine.

In any event, I attached a small zip file to this post (InfoPanel_Professions MOP v003.zip) to make life easy for you (if you're interested in re-uploading your patch).

[edit]
Well, I hope it got attached. I didn't see anything showing it was attached after I posted this message.

Last edited by Coasty : 09-03-12 at 02:46 PM.

09-03-12, 03:35 PM   #29
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
I'll PM you my email address, so that you can send it to me

09-03-12, 10:34 PM   #30
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'll PM you my email address, so that you can send it to me
Done.

I pretty much figure the LUA error problem will be there until I get around to re-installing WoW from scratch, OR, and what's more likely, until I re-install Win7, some time towards the end of next winter I guess. It'll probably take me that long to quit procrastinating...

Under no circumstances will I install Win8, the MetroUI touch screen UI (or whatever it's called now) is an abortion. Tried the preview version for several weeks and hated it.

09-04-12, 02:39 AM   #31
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
I'm sticking to Windows 7 too. Why break what I'm use to.

I like touch-screens, as I have an iPhone 4S, but to have Windows 8 working the way it's intended would cost me a bomb to upgrade my monitor to a touch-screen, and then there's the getting use to it part lol.

Uploaded v003 of nUI InfoPanel Professions (thanks to Coasty for fixing the spelling of Profesions to Professions).

Last edited by Daveo77 : 09-04-12 at 03:48 AM.

09-05-12, 10:04 PM   #32
lairdofdeath
A Theradrim Guardian
yea I'm sorry guys i stopped using this add on(started using Skill Helper) and forgot all about it so any updating fixing you want to do have at it and again I'm sorry

09-06-12, 03:06 AM   #33
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
That's ok and thanks again.

I have managed to update it and uploaded it to the Optional Files section of the addon.

09-06-12, 03:53 AM   #34
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Cool guys.

If you want I can make up a new plugin similar to my XMage one or you can keep patching the one that is currently there Dave. I'll leave the choice to you guys.

09-06-12, 10:42 AM   #35
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
May be easier to update it to similar to XMage one, as it then adds the ability to use it with or without nUI.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Plugin Support » nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions