10-18-13, 08:50 PM   #1
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Old discord UI: Urk UI?

any one has this UI copy available on their computer?

please do contact me, thanks

Last edited by Khalifa786 : 10-18-13 at 10:42 PM.
10-19-13, 01:25 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have the original and personally modded tga files on my hard drive. It is only the art files and as such you would need an addon to get them to show in the game.

I'm not sure the copyright on the art so We would need to hear from the original artist before I can upload them in any way.

Though I'm sure some of the copyright gurus here will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-19-13, 01:33 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I'm not sure the copyright on the art so We would need to hear from the original artist before I can upload them in any way.

Though I'm sure some of the copyright gurus here will correct me if I'm wrong.
Do we know who that was, MM?
10-19-13, 01:41 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I can try and look in to it. I originally found the art on the Discord site back when Loz was still playing. Had it for a very long time. There are literally no files in the folders (possible i deleted them) short of art.

The old Discord site (even the revived one) seem to be gone. According to the email I received about the PM linking to this thread Urkas is the name. Though I can't account for the veracity of that information.

EDIT:
So I was able to find a secondary reference to the UI and to the best of my knowledge the artist does indeed go by the name Urkas.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 10-19-13 at 01:50 AM.
10-19-13, 02:12 AM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Blerg, okay. No one registered on the site under that username, so may never have posted it here in the first place. Any chance there's contact info in the .toc or a readme?
10-19-13, 06:27 AM   #6
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
hi, thanks for the reply.

ive been working with Discort Art and other Discord Mods, modifying the art work wont be an issue. also the original owner of the Urk UI was itself Urkas on Discordmods.com but since that site is gone for good. there isnt much contact information on him or how to get in touch. some people here modified copied/cut/paste/edited the art work on their own. i know one for instance is Dreadlord himself.

anyways if you could find out more about the copyright thing feel free to contact me. i really loved this UI back in the day for my warrior.

cheers,
Khalifa
10-19-13, 07:58 AM   #7
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

www.discordmods.com is still up at http://web.archive.org
This seams to be the last snapshot:
http://web.archive.org/web/200704290...gi-bin/page.pl

You can even download an old version of discord art.
web.archive.org/web/20070429014419/http://www.discordmods.com/DiscordArt/Downloads/DiscordArt1_51.zip

Last edited by Tonyleila : 10-19-13 at 08:01 AM.
10-19-13, 08:31 AM   #8
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
the site has alot of missing elements, for example search broken and cant go to next page on forums/pages.

but there is alot of information still. which is great. thanks
10-19-13, 10:57 AM   #9
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
This was a remake of another ui, I can't remember the name though something reborn. I was a member of the discord site when Loz had it then stayed on and kept updating mods for discord with dreadlords permission. He was the guy who took over discord from Loz so I don't see why the art cannot be reused.

I had also used the art here for a rogue ui I designed with permission from urkas. He did have an account on curse at one point but not seen the name in ages. Hope this helps a little, I don't play wow much nowdays due to work and family commitments but I'm sure I can help out with the ui if the artwork is made available

Regards

Mikey2k
10-19-13, 12:13 PM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Blerg, okay. No one registered on the site under that username, so may never have posted it here in the first place. Any chance there's contact info in the .toc or a readme?
All I literally have are art elements. Just a folder full of .tga files.

The tricky part about reusing the art mikey2k is that while it was on the site If Loz did not create the art then he was merely hosting it and not the owner of it.

It all comes down to permission from Urkas for me to post up the files. Though if your rogue UI is still available for download then the OP can simply download that.

I'll keep on eye on this thread should a resolution come up.

10-19-13, 12:26 PM   #11
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
gief

these old moments
10-19-13, 12:30 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Now, why would you need to do that? http://www.wowinterface.com/download...iscordArt.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-19-13, 06:51 PM   #13
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Now, why would you need to do that? http://www.wowinterface.com/download...iscordArt.html
Because it goes back to version 1.0 from 9/18/2005 there. Link you posted has the oldes file from 2012

Originally Posted by Khalifa786 View Post
the site has alot of missing elements, for example search broken and cant go to next page on forums/pages. but there is alot of information still. which is great. thanks
Ya sadly the archive dosen't save everything of so small sides but i'm glad it helps

Last edited by Tonyleila : 10-19-13 at 06:54 PM.
10-19-13, 06:58 PM   #14
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
waiting on the art work so i could start working on it

or not
10-21-13, 01:06 PM   #15
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
After searching everywhere and i mean in the dungeons of history of wow. I found something.

http://fin.instinct.org/wowmods/addon/4027:urk-ui

At the bottom of the page dreadlorde said something about Copyright ..

I hope this helps... i really love and appreciate your kind replies.

Regards,
Khalifa
10-21-13, 03:37 PM   #16
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Khalifa786 View Post
After searching everywhere and i mean in the dungeons of history of wow. I found something.

http://fin.instinct.org/wowmods/addon/4027:urk-ui

At the bottom of the page dreadlorde said something about Copyright ..

I hope this helps... i really love and appreciate your kind replies.

Regards,
Khalifa
All that site does is link to WoWInterface; since the page no longer exists here, it simply redirects to the front page.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-21-13, 03:53 PM   #17
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I think Khalifa is refering to the fact that Dreadlorde has given anyone the right to use, change etc. the work he published although seeing as UrkUI is just a part of Dreadlorde's addon it would seem the copyright on the arwork would remain unless of course the UrkUI uncluded is Dread's as well.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 10-21-13 at 04:29 PM.
10-22-13, 03:55 PM   #18
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
I think Khalifa is refering to the fact that Dreadlorde has given anyone the right to use, change etc. the work he published although seeing as UrkUI is just a part of Dreadlorde's addon it would seem the copyright on the arwork would remain unless of course the UrkUI uncluded is Dread's as well.
Precisely how I understand it. Dread was given permission to use and distribute the art as part of his UI's. The part some people are missing is that free to use and free to distribute are completely separate.

I downloaded the art from someone that had permission to distribute it (Lozareth in this case). I can make UI's with it for personal use. What I can't do however is distribute it to others without permission.

Just like anything on this site. You can download for personal use. You can not distribute it to others without express permission in the form of direct contact from the creator or a license included with the end product.

That is the most basic way I can explain it. I do hope that the opportunity comes up where I can offer it but until such time my hands are tied in the matter.

EDIT:
After looking at the link provided that linked back to here (as was stated) there is this at the bottom:

LICENSE

The author of this work hereby waives all claim of copyright (economic and moral) in this work and immediately places it in the public domain; it may be used, distorted or destroyed in any manner whatsoever without further attribution or notice to the creator.
Clarification from the copyright folks would be appreciated. If it does allow me to upload I'll get right on it.

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 10-22-13 at 04:02 PM.
10-22-13, 04:44 PM   #19
Khalifa786
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
this is owesome, HALP!!
10-22-13, 06:05 PM   #20
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
"The author of this work hereby waives all claim of copyright (economic and moral)" pretty much says it all. He's waved the legal copyright and moral rights that might prevent you from re-distributing. I would say have at it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Old discord UI: Urk UI?