10-14-14, 12:20 AM   #1
Drayveal
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Compilations -- Problematic

Ok... So I've been using wowinterface for as long as I can remember... Basically, shortly after Discord Unit Frames went down back in Vanilla I started using wowinterface.com

I've loved wowinterface, and will continue to use it as my main source for addons for ages to come. Yet, I have a single issue with the site, and at first it was more of an annoyance that I could easily overlook. Even now, I am willing to overlook it, but the build up over years of how annoying this one thing has been is starting to finally get to me.

The Compilations... People just tag their compilation as whatever they want, or they tag them as -every- single compilation there is, so that it will get downloaded more. Prime Example of what I mean by this... A few graphical compilations out there are Roth UI, LUI v3, MayronUI, and FauxMazzle. Now those are not the only Graphical Compilations, but they were the easiest ones to remember and identify. So what makes these Graphical Compilations? Well, when I read "Graphical Compilation" I think to myself "Graphics that go beyond what is part of normal addons. As can be seen by the Art that holds the Orbs in Roth UI, or even the Orbs themselves. As can be seen by the custom made panel backgrounds for all of LUI v3. As can be seen for all the custom graphics created for MayronUI and FauxMazzle. All of them have "Custom Graphics" that go above and beyond the detailing that bartender might have so that you can change the shading, or border, of an action button.

That said, I move to my problem... Why are AddOns like "FreeUI" listed as "Graphical Compilations"??? When if you look at FreeUI and/or use it, then you cannot readily identify any real custom graphics are used. You can also tell by simply viewing the screenshots that the UI is a "Minimalistic UI". Now I could understand that if it were a Minimalistic -and- Graphical UI then yes it should be listed in both categories. Yet, you cannot readily identify any custom graphics in the UI. FreeUI is a Minimalistic UI, not a graphical one, and there a TON of these "Mislabelings" going on throughout -ALL- of the Compilations Categories. In fact, the one I'd say that has the least of them is the Suites, but even then that one could be questioned by my personal opinion in believing that a Suite should have it's own customization/installation menus.

Note that I am not saying I dislike any of these compilations, as that would just not be true. They are all fantastic UIs! But when I search for a Graphical Compilation, I don't want to see a Generic//Minimalist Compilation, or vice versa, I want to see a UI like Roth UI not PowerInterface!
10-14-14, 01:15 AM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not wanting to detract from the topic, the DiscordMods and UnderWorldNexus sites have gone but Discord Unit Frames is still a thing, as is Discord Art, even in Warlords of Draenor .

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 10-14-14 at 01:55 AM.
10-14-14, 03:29 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

I don't use compilations myself, but I do occasionally browse the categories for UI screenshots, and I agree that the current categorization system is pretty useless for compilations, and that the "graphical" and "minimalistic" categories need some kind of official definition.

I'd also suggest getting rid of some of the categories. For example, I think "suites" was meant to encompass things like RothUI where the compilation creator is also the author of most/all of the addons/code in the compilation, but from an end user's perspective this is totally irrelevant, and such compilations should be put in the category that actually describes their appearance or function. Apart from class- and role-specific categories, I don't see a need for anything other than "Graphical", "Minimalistic", and "Generic" though I might change the "Generic" name to something with a less derogatory undertone. The "Guild" category is pretty much pointless -- if your guild really needs to require specific addons, it should just point its members to those specific addons, and if your guild compliation has custom code just for you guild, it should probably not be posted on a public addon site.

And finally, while I doubt the current system supports it, I think the non-class/role categories should be mutually exclusive with each other, and the class/role categories should be mutually exclusive within their groups. If your compilation is for healers and tanks, it's not role-specific. If it's for rogues, mages, paladins, and druids, it's not class-specific.

Last edited by Phanx : 10-14-14 at 03:31 AM.
10-14-14, 05:14 AM   #4
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
As for your second point, it's generally pretty dififcult to enforce rules on this kind of categorisation which by nature can be a little vague. We're always open to suggestions, though.

Take your example for instance:

That said, I move to my problem... Why are AddOns like "FreeUI" listed as "Graphical Compilations"??? When if you look at FreeUI and/or use it, then you cannot readily identify any real custom graphics are used. You can also tell by simply viewing the screenshots that the UI is a "Minimalistic UI". Now I could understand that if it were a Minimalistic -and- Graphical UI then yes it should be listed in both categories. Yet, you cannot readily identify any custom graphics in the UI. FreeUI is a Minimalistic UI, not a graphical one, and there a TON of these "Mislabelings" going on throughout -ALL- of the Compilations Categories. In fact, the one I'd say that has the least of them is the Suites, but even then that one could be questioned by my personal opinion in believing that a Suite should have it's own customization/installation menus.
I added FreeUI to the Graphical UI category because a large component of it is the embedded version of my Aurora addon. This changes the look of every frame and panel in the default UI, and while you are correct that it uses few custom textures, changing the appearance of the default UI is its only purpose. Because of that, the UI provides a complete visual overhaul.

I'm not saying that either point of view is more correct than the other, but you can see how it is open to interpretation.
10-14-14, 06:12 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

I think just adding some sort of official description for each category would help. I can easily see someone not understand what (I think) the "graphical" category is for -- after all, by definition any WoW UI is graphical, unless you're performing some kind of bizarre experiment in which you play with Alt-Z (hide interface) enabled.

The names could also be a bit more clear, for example:
  • "General Compilations" would sound better than "generic" and clarify that it's the "default" category. It should also be moved to the top of the list. Currently it's listed at the very end of the list.
  • "Artistic Compilations" would clarify that it's about artwork better than "graphical".
10-14-14, 07:11 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
See this thread from the other day for more discussion on the topic and a response from Dolby.
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50023
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Compilations -- Problematic