01-01-11, 01:55 PM   #21
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by FlareLT View Post
And for me it's sad, that new client on market "MMOUI Minion" uses JAVA. I wish it was stand-alone client, probably written in C, and not based on any bloated "platform".

Well, at least JAVA is multi-platform, which makes it less ridiculous (compared to .NET).
That's not why Minion is written in Java. It's written in Java because it has the capability of being extended by anyone via OSGI. In fact, anyone could write their own WoWI module for Minion if they wanted to. When people complain about Minion's problems it's not actually Minion that's unstable but rather the WoWI module and, in particular, its algorithm for finding addons. The core functionality of the program is pretty stable and, with the exception of one security manager bug (where it was locking out actions that it shouldn't) I really haven't heard of any problems with it.

Granted, that doesn't really mean much if nobody else chooses to write modules, but it's there.

That being said, I've just graduated and suddenly have a lot of free time, which I've already allocated towards fixing the well-known addon detection problems.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
01-01-11, 03:54 PM   #22
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
That being said, I've just graduated and suddenly have a lot of free time ...
Congratulations =)

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
01-01-11, 04:15 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stabler View Post
Just thought I would add my two cents because I've had the same battle between sites and their updaters...

To begin...
Wowinterace.com - good job on your website. Very clean and very easy to read and follow.

For the reasons I stated above, I would choose wowinterface.com over curse.com in a heartbeat. And I come here quite often search for new addons.

However, curse.com has my money (quarterly payments) because of their curse client. Their curse client is done very very well. Their website, on the other hand, is horrible. Way way to busy. If they could only dumb it down some. But because their client app is done very well in managing my addons, they have my financial support.
^^ This.

messagetooshortblahblahblah
01-05-11, 10:48 PM   #24
Sythalin
Curse staff

Ignore the green name and title text for a moment while I put my $.02 in on this matter. Although I find the versioning differences to be a pain as well between the two clients, this is easily overcome by taking a few moments to load them side by side and tweek your lists. I did this and am quite happy with the results. Some addons I have curse exclusively update while other I have set up with Minion. My preference is based on which site I think a particular addon is updated most at.

I strongly urge anyone who uses both to take the time to do this. It will cause a lot less headache for you in the end. No one can force an author to use the same version scheme across all the sites; It's their choice. However, you have the ability to work around this. Think of it as configuring an addon for different toons.

Oh, and before it comes up, I run about 150 "addons" (quoted because I'm not excluding individual "modules" at this point, such as AtlasLoot's) and it took me about 10min to do this. Honestly, if you are running above this number you probably need to sort through them anyways and get rid of those you never/rarely use. Just a thought...
01-09-11, 09:56 AM   #25
cra_arc
Premium Member
Premium Member
same issues not one addonn updated caters for all and minion does indeed tell me to update addons when the versions i allready have are newer

a simple fix just to show both the version i have installed and the version minion recomends columns would be much easier at present i use in order of addons available and recognised

wowmatrix it recognises more of my addons

curse it recognises some that matrix doesnt

minion but it doesnt show me as much info as others so far i have only been able to update feed o matic to a newer version with minion most of my other ones it doesnt recognise or tell me tp donwdate .

thx
c
01-29-11, 11:14 AM   #26
Mr. Tastix
A Murloc Raider
To put it simply, my main problem with Minion isn't actually with Minion, it's with the addon authors themselves.

I use both Minion and Curse, simply because there are some addons on WoW Interface and some on Curse (ElvUI is only on here, for example). There's also the problem that some addon authors may update their addons for one site but not for the other, thereby causing all the out-of-date problems with Minion.

Originally Posted by Jooze View Post
It seems far to commercial to me, and far to cluttered, most likely because of the portal concept. I want WoW Addons and I don't want to have to read about anything else or have anything else clutter up the space.
Here's a fact: ZAM owns WoW Interface.

ZAM is just as "commercial" as Curse is. Both choose to be because they want to promote the other sites within their network, and what better way to do that then get them all to publish articles and the like about network websites?

Originally Posted by Maziel View Post
That too would be a nice option.

Or a co-operation between the two major sites, if author uploads addon to curse, forward to wow-interface for approval and vice versa so both sites have them.

Both sites are great add-on sites, and the community loves you both.
The option for a one-stop hosting regime for developers, a place where they can upload their addons to both Curse and WoW Interface, would be a boon for many developers. But it'll never happen.

The main reason is due to competition.

Curse want you to use their website. ZAM want you to use WoW Interface. They are the two major addon suppliers currently and there's no real need for any other (other sources exist but the two mentioned are the biggest).

Simply put: Curse wants you to upload your addons to their site, and WoW Interface wants you to do the same to theirs. They have no qualms if you decide to upload to both but it's much more beneficial to them if you don't.
01-29-11, 11:17 AM   #27
slopoke
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
My view of this situation.

Client/site/attitude differences (in no particular order).
I run Linux, so am used to Open Source projects.
I value stability and security.
Using an alpha or early beta? Much too risky unless you're a tester.
Wowinterface seems more "Linux friendly" than Curse.
Procedures here seem more "sane".
The Curse client does not have a Linux version.
I've found more broken md5sums on Curse than here. Windows is malware friendly, hence why this is an issue for me. I need Wine to run WOW, which is almost as vulnerable as Windows.
Windows does not play nice, hence the need for something like Java to provide platform independence.
No such thing as "standalone". All software needs something to "stand" on.
Versioning issues have already been explained by Dolby. Strange situation, rarely seems to happen with Linux apps.

Because of the above, my personal preference is to only use something from Curse because my guild requires it (like DBM).
01-30-11, 02:34 AM   #28
Mr. Tastix
A Murloc Raider
I will say that currently, I prefer the Curse Client over Minion for one reason: Version Checks, and this shouldn't be a problem with addon developers.

Whilst it should be well-known that many addon developers do not update or even monitor their addons for both Curse and WoW Interface (Auctionator is one such addon, for example), what Minion should do is a version check on the addon itself and then compare that to what's listed in their database.

The Auctionator addon is actually version 2.8.8 for example, but it hasn't been updated on WoW Interface to reflect this. In the files itself it says it's version 2.8.8 but Minion doesn't seem to pick this up and still considers it "out of date" when it's fairly clear that the version I've got it a later one than the one WoW Interface's got.

Whether this is a bug or just a missing feature is unknown to me, but it makes the entire point of Minion pointless (to make installing/updating addons easier) when I then have to compare the Curse version to the WoW Interface version.
01-30-11, 01:29 PM   #29
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
As mentioned in various places around this section of the forums, what you want is much harder than it seems.

AddOn A:
r123
r124
r125
r127
AddOn B:
AddOn C:
AddOn D:
alpha 1
alpha 2
alpha 3
beta 1
beta 2
release 1
alpha 1.1
alpha 1.2
/edit: not to mention that a different version could be used on each site.... Or at least labelled differently. 1.3 vs. v1.3 vs. 1.3 Release. I've seen it happen.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 01-30-11 at 01:31 PM.
01-30-11, 02:54 PM   #30
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

And AddOn E:

1v.05.waffles.2.koalabear.a1

Keeping up-to-date can be quite tricky, and not just on the programming end.

Learn about the AddOns you use. Read their changelog, read their bug reports, understand what each new version brings.

Sometimes incompatibilities arise. AddOn A has been updated, but AddOn B that relies on AddOn A hasn't been updated to be compatible with it's newest version. Or an AddOn has had a change to it's settings which require a certain procedure on the user's part to get the AddOn fully functional again. Or perhaps a recent change has made one AddOn incompatible with another you have installed. The list goes on.

Add to this the situation where version numbers are different across all addons, across different sites, and auto-updaters can and do get things messed up at times.

Keeping 100% up-to-date, 100% of the time isn't really necessary. Use these programs wisely.

Last edited by Nibelheim : 01-30-11 at 03:05 PM.
01-30-11, 05:54 PM   #31
Mr. Tastix
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Keeping 100% up-to-date, 100% of the time isn't really necessary. Use these programs wisely.
So you're basically stating that MMOUI Minion, the Curse Client, and any other auto-updating client is useless because you, the developer, can't do so much as to keep the files the same between websites?

There's honestly no reason to use these clients if I'm going to have to scan the addon pages, as well as their documentation, to find out if I'm actually using the proper version or not.

Sorry, but I'm not being blamed for your own ineptitude. If you can't be bothered to update your addons across multiple sites (and have the data kept as similar as the site itself allows) then delete the files off one of the sites and only host them on the one site that you actually utilise the most.

This is a heads-up because I know that one of you would probably try and call me out on this:

I am aware that addons are provided "as-is" and it's not your "job" to go out and create tools that are of great convenience to us, but frankly, consistency is a good thing. Whilst I'm grateful for the work developers do, don't try and pass the whole "well the addon doesn't cost you anything" stint on me. If you're only going to put half the effort into something then you may as well not do it at all.

Last edited by Mr. Tastix : 01-30-11 at 05:57 PM.
01-30-11, 06:08 PM   #32
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Mr. Tastix View Post
So you're basically stating that MMOUI Minion, the Curse Client, and any other auto-updating client is useless because you, the developer, can't do so much as to keep the files the same between websites?
Not at all. What was said was what was said. Keeping 100% up-to-date, 100% of the time isn't really necessary. You can choose to do it, others may choose not to, certain programs may make it easier to do, other factors may make it harder to do. Plus, there's always factors to consider, apart from just "I've got the most up to date version". Even if 100% of authors kept their addon versions perfectly tracked and updated on all clients, there'd still be issues to consider when updating.
01-31-11, 12:30 AM   #33
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Not at all. What was said was what was said. Keeping 100% up-to-date, 100% of the time isn't really necessary. You can choose to do it, others may choose not to, certain programs may make it easier to do, other factors may make it harder to do. Plus, there's always factors to consider, apart from just "I've got the most up to date version". Even if 100% of authors kept their addon versions perfectly tracked and updated on all clients, there'd still be issues to consider when updating.
^^ This

I use an email system of updating.

Unless my UI is blowing multi colored chunks over my screen , i don't update.

I glance at the emails for a few select addons but for the most part it can go from anywhere from a week to a month between my addon updates.

I also sit on a few IRC channels where the repo report bots post to. If I see something come up that looks vitally important I'll update.

Different strokes for different folks
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
02-08-11, 04:49 PM   #34
Beliablue
A Kobold Labourer
Similar to what Chaos suggested, I run both updaters and just ignore the things in one that I want to update in the other. I don't have a problem occasionally having to go look up version numbers to make sure that I'm getting what I think I should be. I've done rev management before, for code, design work, and documentation; it's a whole lot harder to keep it all straight than it looks when you have multiple people wanting to do it "their way", even if you do put out guidelines for it.

The one place that I feel that the Curse Client has a leg-up on Minion is in terms of supporting multiple WoW installs. The Curse Client allows me to just change tabs and I can update my second install; with Minion I have to go into the options and change the directory path and hope that it refreshes correctly (sometimes I've had it "stick" on the first install and have to close and re-open the program to get it to refresh to the second install). While this isn't enough to keep me from using Minion, some other way of handling that might be a solid addition to the program.
02-21-11, 02:27 PM   #35
smokejax
A Murloc Raider
Isn't this exactly the reason minion allows for modules? So that all the sites could get on boards using a standard api, and everyone could query any of the mod sites from a singular interface.

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Although I find the versioning differences to be a pain as well between the two clients, this is easily overcome by taking a few moments to load them side by side and tweek your lists. I did this and am quite happy with the results. Some addons I have curse exclusively update while other I have set up with Minion. My preference is based on which site I think a particular addon is updated most at.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion vs Curse Client