12-07-07, 01:21 PM   #1
Zxanth
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation Kaomod

Does anyone know if Kaomie is going to continue offereing the Kaomod compilation? I have used it and like it and I realize that one of the versions got hacked and infected, fortunateley I was not effected by it (just luck didn't download during that specific time/version). I know that they are mot allowing autoloaders now but I would still like to see her comp in a zip file. Anyone know?
12-07-07, 01:27 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
The last conversation I had with Kao, it was being discontinued. I've been trying to encourage him to continue it, but it's up to them.

You can see the public portion of the discussion between Kao and the community in the main thread about the trojan here (post #35 onward).
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 12-07-07 at 01:29 PM.
12-07-07, 01:43 PM   #3
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sorry I will indeed not upload KaoMod for a while
Until I find a "better" way to package it at least (which right now I do not think there is).
12-07-07, 04:27 PM   #4
Zxanth
A Defias Bandit
Kaomod

Truely Sorry to hear that....Almost any delivery package can be used to deliver a virus and it really sux that the package that I have used since I discovered it was the one hit. I appriciate all of the work you have put into delivering a great package and hope that you will consider bringing it back. I know that you had complaints about the delivery that you used and in all honesty that was one of the "plus" features in my opinion since it was easy to use.

Anyway whatever you decide thank you again for the effort you have put in to Kaomod
12-07-07, 04:30 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We aren't happy about the whole situation either. All because of the jerks of the world that have to spoil it for everyone else.
12-19-07, 11:31 PM   #6
Kixyour
A Murloc Raider
Well heh I tried Mazzleui for about a month then 2.3 happened. Now Kaomod is getting fried with errors and well the obvious idots that bad mouth something that they unfortunately don't understand, i.e. Servers and hackers. It took me a year and until this past weekend to get to 70 and well.... For this I don't quite know what I am to do. I guess I'm off to try and find another mod that HOPEFULLY will be alright after this next 2.4 patch since Blizzard can't leave well enough alone lol. Thanks For the Great UI Kao and Thanks for supporting him and all UI work WoWI.com Its the Holidays, Enjoy.

P.S. When is the Vern Troyer WOW commercial being released? LOL

Kixyour
01-03-08, 07:47 PM   #7
SoulHunter
A Defias Bandit
Just found out

wow i just found out about all the trouble and i am going to miss u Kaomie . yours was the best comp i ever used for wow . i had to format my puter and was just going to down load the Kaomod but cant find it =(( im trying to find a different comp till u get back up but i dont see any that i like . do u have any ideas ?? i would just like to say thank You for all the work you did it made my gaming a lot more fun =))
01-04-08, 02:31 AM   #8
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

If we cannot have certified files integrity there is no way to distribute an automated installation of any form. I was thinking about including a clear-text script with the compilation that would copy files in place automatically, but what if the script gets intercepted and modified? I may just post the plain ZIP file sometime after we hit 2.4 if people are still interested.
01-04-08, 04:54 AM   #9
Coronal
A Murloc Raider
I for one would love ZIP file distribution; as long as it's one of your products, one will certainly be willing to put up with a bit of a hassle with the installation.

As for integrity, how 'bout digitally signing the executable? Easy enough to generate a code-signing certificate and freeware programs to sign the file are available with light googling. Sure, you'd have to distribute your certificate's public part (not too much a problem, really) and it'd leave the responsibility for making sure the executable is indeed signed with your certificate and none other to the end user, but I think lots of us would be willing to pay the price (just a bit of paying attention) when checking the signature.
01-04-08, 05:36 AM   #10
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Coronal
As for integrity, how 'bout digitally signing the executable? Easy enough to generate a code-signing certificate and freeware programs to sign the file are available with light googling. Sure, you'd have to distribute your certificate's public part (not too much a problem, really) and it'd leave the responsibility for making sure the executable is indeed signed with your certificate and none other to the end user, but I think lots of us would be willing to pay the price (just a bit of paying attention) when checking the signature.
We did talk about that before, maybe without using a full PKI solution but at least a MD5 checksum published on the WoWInterface addon page (hackers would have to corrupt both the addon on the fileserver and the page on the webserver, which hopefully are completely unrelated servers). But the problem is not everyone would know how to verify the file against the signature, and it kind of goes against the whole idea of simplicity with a single installer
01-04-08, 06:00 AM   #11
Coronal
A Murloc Raider
True enough... still, it'd be a step towards risk management; outsourcing the responsibility for ensuring the integrity of the file to the end user.

In the mean time, would it be possible to get a list of the various addons in your last compilation? I have begun the task of figuring out for myself what addons and what versions of them you used, but it's a bit of a pain. If you could publish the list (or direct me to a page where it's still online) that'd allow me to update the addons one at a time while I wait for you possibly making that ZIP file compilation available in the future.
01-04-08, 07:24 AM   #12
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

True enough... still, it'd be a step towards risk management; outsourcing the responsibility for ensuring the integrity of the file to the end user.
That is entirely up to the mod sites to decide, currently anything not a ZIP file is totally banned from anywhere.
In the mean time, would it be possible to get a list of the various addons in your last compilation? I have begun the task of figuring out for myself what addons and what versions of them you used, but it's a bit of a pain. If you could publish the list (or direct me to a page where it's still online) that'd allow me to update the addons one at a time while I wait for you possibly making that ZIP file compilation available in the future.
I will see what I can do, I was not keeping any copy of KaoMod info other than what was on my WowInterface portal. Maybe I have the automated versioning scripts somewehere...

Last edited by Kaomie : 01-04-08 at 07:36 AM.
01-14-08, 07:17 AM   #13
Nix*
A Defias Bandit
Plz give reference to the gallop last the version of KaoMod
01-15-08, 10:02 AM   #14
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Give me a few days to clean it up a bit, and I will post a ZIP-only with KaoMod packed inside.
It is like going backward not using the installer, but it does not seem like executables will be allowed any time soon.
01-16-08, 08:24 AM   #15
Coronal
A Murloc Raider
Thank you. Long live the best addon compilation ever!
01-19-08, 01:48 PM   #16
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Okay uploading KaoMod2 as I type.
Note that it is a complete rebuild in a ZIP only file.
01-19-08, 02:13 PM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Approved!
01-19-08, 02:40 PM   #18
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Approved!
Thanks!

ZIP file size and MD5 are posted on the addon page.
Verified against current file on WoWInt file-servers with 3 different OS and archs.

So far so good

Last edited by Kaomie : 01-19-08 at 02:43 PM.
01-20-08, 06:04 AM   #19
Coronal
A Murloc Raider
Works like a charm, it does! The days of seamless add-on interaction are back.

Thank you for your hard work.
02-11-08, 05:11 AM   #20
Nix*
A Defias Bandit
thank you !!! Пасиб

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Kaomod