07-26-10, 02:37 PM   #821
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ezarra View Post
Spoke too soon. the installer crashes about 2% in when run under a standard user account. It too must be run under an account with admin rights. Security? Why would you want security?

If the beta or the game requires admin rights to run, I guess I will not be testing or upgrading. I simply refuse to run applications that require admin accounts.
The default set up of most OS X installs particular ones you buy from a store these days is protect normal users from modifying the Applications folder

[08:32][/]$ ls -l / | grep App
drwxrwxr-x+ 104 root admin 3536 27 Jul 08:27 Applications
Applications is part of the admin group and hence needs to have a member of the admin group to modify it.

Yes. When you're on an admin user you can do irreparable harm to your hard drive if you don't know what you are doing. But it doesn't mean every program asking to be installed on an admin user is a maliciously underhanded program. You just need to know what you are doing , know where it's installing stuff and most importantly have a good backup system !
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-26-10, 02:40 PM   #822
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by henrik_s View Post
Is the inital download fully patched or can I expect a bunch of patches after installing?
Used to be 7 - 8 build updates after that but with the last beta servers maintenance they reduced that down to one.

It's now just 2 build updates - a big 1 -2 GB one and one build after that
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-26-10, 03:32 PM   #823
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
The default set up of most OS X installs particular ones you buy from a store these days is protect normal users from modifying the Applications folder

Applications is part of the admin group and hence needs to have a member of the admin group to modify it.
No, it means that a program has to ask for admin permission to modify it. This is how properly written applications behave. I've been running OS X since the beta ten years ago. Every now and then I run into a program that doesn't understand permissions and admin rights or that won't install in the users own Applications folder (which requires no admin rights) and usually I file a bug report and if it doesn't get fixed, I don't run that app.

World of Warcraft used to be just fine. In fact, I had two installs on the machine, one in my home and one in another users home and everything worked as you would expect, with each user having their own preferences respect.

Since Activision took over, they have changed WoW so that this does NOT work. WoW now writes a folder into the /Users/Shared folder that keeps track of the install location, which means having two installs now fails spectacularly badly. Now they have an installer that requires not just admin rights (remember, the wow folder is installed in MY app folder and is owned by MY user account, it is not in the systems app folder and is not owned by the admin, so no need for admin rights) but actually requires being run as the admin user, with wow installed in the default folder. If you don't do this, it doesn't ask for admin rights (like a properly written app does) and it doesn't post a error (like a badly written port would) it just crashes silently.

It is stupid and lazy programming that actually goes out of its way to make your system less secure (sort of like the ridiculous password policy WoW now has).

Yes. When you're on an admin user you can do irreparable harm to your hard drive if you don't know what you are doing. But it doesn't mean every program asking to be installed on an admin user is a maliciously underhanded program.
It means it is either malicious, lazy, or stupid. There is no need, ever, for a installer or application on OS X to require and admin USER to run it. Proper programs that do require admin rights simply ask for them when they are launched.

You just need to know what you are doing , know where it's installing stuff and most importantly have a good backup system !
Believe me, I know what I am doing, which is WHY I run my computer as a standard user.
07-26-10, 03:35 PM   #824
Kuredo
A Fallenroot Satyr
No it's a policy backed up by a bully who knows full well that no addon author can hope to raise the cash necessary for a full legal case going through the courts vs Blizzard Entertainment / Activision.
Bobby Kotick wut?
07-26-10, 03:52 PM   #825
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
ezarra:

a) this thread is about the Cata beta keys, please stop derailing

b) you don't know what you are talking about, please stop derailing

Seerah asked you once already to stop, now I'm telling you to. You are incorrect in the way you are reading it. And either way, this isn't the place for it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-26-10, 04:00 PM   #826
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Just to stay on topic: is there any word about the next batch of keys Cairenn?

Last edited by omergurlek : 07-26-10 at 04:08 PM.
07-26-10, 04:08 PM   #827
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not at present, sorry.
07-26-10, 04:14 PM   #828
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thanks for letting us know

On a sidenote, I'm really sorry if I sounded selfish there. I really appreciate what you're doing for us, and I'm pretty sure everyone here does as well. A big thanks to WoWI, and especially to you Cairenn.
07-26-10, 05:30 PM   #829
hank
A Murloc Raider

First of all: Thanks, im currently downloading catalysm.
But i have to sleep ^^ can i stop it and it will start where it ends? Im not sure cause of the new downloader which dls + install at the same time (seems so)?

hank
07-26-10, 05:45 PM   #830
Jinivus
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up

Just applied my key.
*excited girl scream*

Thanks for everything Cairenn and whoever else was involved.
07-26-10, 05:51 PM   #831
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Hank, yes you can stop it and it will restart where it left off. It does do a fairly quick file check on what has already been downloaded, but it doesn't take more than a minute or two.

If you're in a situation where you can leave your computer running overnight, you'll get done a lot quicker. However if you run windows you may want to temporarily disable windows auto-updates, as this will shut down the system after its done. I became painfully aware of this a couple of weeks ago when dl'ing the client thinking I would be g2g in the morning only to find out I was still at 48%.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-26-10, 06:02 PM   #832
hank
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Hank, yes you can stop it and it will restart where it left off. It does do a fairly quick file check on what has already been downloaded, but it doesn't take more than a minute or two.

If you're in a situation where you can leave your computer running overnight, you'll get done a lot quicker. However if you run windows you may want to temporarily disable windows auto-updates, as this will shut down the system after its done. I became painfully aware of this a couple of weeks ago when dl'ing the client thinking I would be g2g in the morning only to find out I was still at 48%.
hehe i know ^^
The only problem i have is the consumption of electricity (<- translator) u know? Would like to know if theres a tiny app which set cpu multiplicator/speed to the lowest possible value etc so the computer wont take so much power - someone knows such a program?
07-26-10, 06:05 PM   #833
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Sorry, Cairenn....

I'll make sure Torhal doesn't do it again....

BAD Torhal! BAD!!!

07-26-10, 06:27 PM   #834
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Just to confirm here voodoodaddy (/hug) do you mean the World of Warcraft Cataclysm Installer ?

Or the build update system where it will download a build , install it , check if you are at the latest build and if not keep looping ?

The Cataclysm Installer , at least on my computer is a streaming installer which means it downloads and installs at the same time. You download and run a downloader that downloads this client to you - the program plus Installer Tome.mpq. While installing it installs it stuff into "World of Warcraft Beta" , filling out Installer Tome 2.mpq while doing so. Installer.mfil has a link to the sizes of all files as well as an indication it's the streaming installer you are downloading btw.

When I bring up my Cataclysm Installer (the one with the werewolf background image) and press Stop it offers me two options "Resume" or "Stop" as in Stop and quit. I'm guessing this could be a way you could stop and resume the download.

Now this could be a difference between the windows installer and the Mac installer but when I tell this streaming client "Stop" and "Stop" again as in quit the client it deletes my "World of Warcraft Beta.temp" folder and I have to start all over again. Installer Tome 2.mpq stays at the size it last received data at.

Is this different for the Windows client ? It's not about being right or wrong here mr voodooey. I'm just wanting to see where you experience is different from mine. Also I should make the disclaimer here that I've had no sleep , am operating off aftershave fumes and my install has yet to get to the last stage of "downloading the last part of Installer Tome 2.mpq"

Oh and Hank - do you have a computer you can turn the monitor off on ? IMHO that's where most of the power going into your computer goes. Either that or the power supply (which you can't turn off if you want to leave it up all night )

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-26-10 at 06:32 PM.
07-26-10, 06:38 PM   #835
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Blu, I guess the Windows and Mac installers must be a bit different. On Windows you have a button next to the progress bar on the bottom marked "CANCEL" which I believe (I didn't want to try it) will completely cancel the download and delete the temp file. Then you have the normal red 'x' at the top right corner which will shut the downloader down without deleting anything and will then do as I described above on restart.

Btw, /hugs

07-26-10, 06:42 PM   #836
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I probably wasn't real clear in my first post. Windows auto-update was what shut down my pc, NOT the beta installer.

07-26-10, 06:51 PM   #837
luizofoca
A Defias Bandit
anyone finished downloading cataclysm and after instaling are having problem with the updater??
im getting tracker not responding all the time.
07-26-10, 08:37 PM   #838
Mysticell
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by luizofoca View Post
anyone finished downloading cataclysm and after instaling are having problem with the updater??
im getting tracker not responding all the time.
If it's not downloading at all (or if it's going very slowly), go into preferences and disable peer-to-peer transfers.

OR

Be sure that ports 3724 and 6112-6119 are open in your computer's firewall and forwarded to your PC in your router. If this doesn't work, try the first option.
07-26-10, 10:31 PM   #839
Mokane
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by hank View Post
hehe i know ^^
The only problem i have is the consumption of electricity (<- translator) u know? Would like to know if theres a tiny app which set cpu multiplicator/speed to the lowest possible value etc so the computer wont take so much power - someone knows such a program?
What kind of CPU are you running? There are plenty of brand specific apps that will do that for you on the fly based on how much CPU is getting used.

AMD phenom based chips can use PhenomMSRTweaker.

Can't remember the intel based on off the top of my head.
07-26-10, 11:00 PM   #840
kylerules142
A Defias Bandit

Hey guys, any news on the next wave of beta invites????
I got really excited when i saw this thread .

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!