04-04-11, 01:10 PM   #641
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I love the UF's Henrik. Though, I Have to agree with Led just a bit on the flat coloration for the bg's. Perhaps a suggestion of a slight gradient added as to add just a bit of a little something to them? No textures though, I think it would deter from the simplicity too much from the overall look of your theme!

Other than that, awesome work there, Mate!

Here is once I'm constantly fine tuning. Trying to keep an even yet consistent look of the information being somewhat center and eye-level for just at a glance moments during combat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_040211_234904.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	5946  

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!

04-04-11, 02:29 PM   #642
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Not bad Landrell, I'm generally not a fan of panel UI's. But this one ain't bad imo. I just think it needs a bit of fine touches so it looks better, some things I would suggest are:

. Move the clock to the far left or right, it's unimportant information tbh so doesn't need to be in the middle + it sits there so alone.
. The combat text is overlapping the UF's it seems.
. The font on the UF's seems a tad to small. Look at Henriks UI, his fonts seem to be prefect and I think it would fit your UI too.
. Buffs above your UF. I don't think you constantly have to see them. Just place them in the right top corner for example so they're not in the way. You could place debuffs you get their as they're more important.
. What's the use of the panel behind the UF's?
. Target name could just be in the frame imo.
. Either remove the bag-bar or make it fully transparent. Again, something you barely have to use (keybind your bag )
. Do you need the icon to show when you're in combat?
. Aspect bar could be on mouseover, I don't think you have to change it constantly.
. The actionbar on the bottom could perhaps be on mouseover too?

Just a few relative small changes you might consider. But I think it will make your UI a more clean look. Just my 2 cents.

04-04-11, 03:11 PM   #643
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

@Landrell: Really nice UI! There would be only some minor points:
- font size on Player/Target a little bit too small
- don't like your buffs there... Can't you filter important proccs to there and show the "normal" buffs somewhere else? You don't need to see, if you got Fortitude or stuff
- Led already mentioned the "overlapping" stuff
- you need to know if you're max level? I sense lot's of twinking^^

04-04-11, 03:42 PM   #644
Tanthalus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
I used to have a laptop with an integrated card (0.5 fps in raids, you know the deal) and setting it to 16bit made a world of a difference. Sometimes I would actually get up to 11 fps in a 25 man, and the laptop was much cooler after a few hours of playing.
Very interesting. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a cheap laptop.

04-04-11, 03:44 PM   #645
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Awesome suggestions! So far, I've ticked half of that list in completion, but there are going to be a few minor issues I'll have to address through LUA. Since I'm currently using oUF_Nivaya, I'll have to find a way to get rid of the mana unit number and place the nameplate over it's area instead. I think that's the only issue I'm going to have as far as modifying the UF to that degree.

As far as the plates behind the UF's are concerned, they add a little something to them. I know it's not functional, but the target's panel gives me class color so it sort of helps since I'm a visual sort of player.

I should have the rest figured out and a small update on it here soon.
Thanks for the C&C!

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!

04-04-11, 03:53 PM   #646
Tanthalus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Landrell View Post
I love the UF's Henrik. Though, I Have to agree with Led just a bit on the flat coloration for the bg's. Perhaps a suggestion of a slight gradient added as to add just a bit of a little something to them? No textures though, I think it would deter from the simplicity too much from the overall look of your theme!

Other than that, awesome work there, Mate!

Here is once I'm constantly fine tuning. Trying to keep an even yet consistent look of the information being somewhat center and eye-level for just at a glance moments during combat.
Id move your green frame holding most of your stuff down so it overlaps your, rather large, bottom horizontal bar and move the action bar thats there somewhere else. Kind of a lot of screen space is being wasted down there. Also bag buttons dont make sense having an alpha when all that is being shown behind them is a bar.

7/10

04-04-11, 04:02 PM   #647
Tanthalus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by henrik_s View Post
Something I've been working on for a little while. Not sure I'm entirely happy with the buff/cooldown/bar icons. Any thoughts?
I'd increase the alpha on the nameplate healthbackdrop, and possibly lower the height. That can get quite crowded when you have more than a handful of mobs/people.

For the buffs (not debuffs) Id thin the border out a bit so it was a more distinguishable and slightly less noticeable than the other buttons and didn't take up so much space. Also id switch places of the left and center action bars

8/10

04-04-11, 08:56 PM   #648
Oraknathal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Something I've been working on for a little while. Not sure I'm entirely happy with the buff/cooldown/bar icons. Any thoughts?
Very very nice I really like the layout.
What font is that being used??

04-04-11, 09:01 PM   #649
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by LLozaa View Post
your uis make me jealous
also i've got some questions.
How do you get that frame on your actionbars? kgpanels?
Whats your lynstats code? I cant seem to get mine to be a solid color bar at the bottom like that any help?
I just made my own panel in LUA, and placed it behind my actionbars. It may not be the 'easiest' way, but it works perfectly for me

I assume you mean the black bar at the bottom of my screen. I used LitePanels for that, partially as an experiment with LitePanels, and partially because it seemed do do the job well (and in an easier way! Haha). It doesn't actually have anything to do with LynStats, I just placed that on top of the panel.

04-04-11, 09:03 PM   #650
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by nin View Post
Ouch, how do you manage too play with such a small screen and the minimalistic style of ui ? :P

My eyes would bleed forever.
I don't really have enough spare screen space to use any other kind of UI :O I love the minimalistic style, either way Also, it's just what I'm used to, as well. I'm saving up for a better computer at the moment, so hopefully I'll be able to do more in the future

04-04-11, 09:35 PM   #651
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I too am curious how you are having a moving slider basically for the bars as the health and power update.

04-05-11, 01:24 AM   #652
Helvete
A Murloc Raider
I'm impressed as always
I think I'm more a fan of Your old black & white projects, and I have similar feelings as Led++ I'm not sure do I like it or not (except action bars/buffs/etc borders - I love them I've made similar to my ui but Your's have some magic which mine doesn't have it).

But it is interesting - I'm sure of that.

04-05-11, 04:26 AM   #653
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by tenub View Post
I too am curious how you are having a moving slider basically for the bars as the health and power update.
I'm betting it's something similar to what Real did with her UI; namely, kgPanels scripting.

Edit - ok, so I lost that bet. Boo.

Last edited by haylie : 04-05-11 at 10:27 AM.

04-05-11, 07:00 AM   #654
henrik_s
Enhancement Shaman
Thanks for the feedback, guys : )

I agree that the black can get a bit overpowering. I'll probabaly make all bars a bit transparent like the nameplates.

The bars are textures instead of StatusBar frames. When the value updates, the texture's width changes -- that way you can have objects (the "divider") anchored to the end.

The font is PT Sans Narrow, lifted from Tukui. You can get it from here as well.

04-05-11, 10:36 AM   #655
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The bars are textures instead of StatusBar frames. When the value updates, the texture's width changes -- that way you can have objects (the "divider") anchored to the end.
Ah, I see! Don't listen to these people who say it isn't "for them" or anything. What you've done is very unique and the fact that it uses a simple design with a simple legible font makes this a great UI to play with for easily finding information on the screen. It sort of reminds me of "colorblind mode" in Windows. :P

04-05-11, 03:45 PM   #656
Tanthalus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by nin View Post
Ouch, how do you manage too play with such a small screen and the minimalistic style of ui ? :P

My eyes would bleed forever.
Small screen real estate is one of the prime reasons for minimalistic UIs. Its like saying 'you have a computer and the internet?!' I dont get this comment.

To be honest this game does not require a lof of graphical feedback. Depending on your rool, a healer would require the most, and DPS the least. All you really need to see, is relevant health bars and debuffs your current class can clean and important cooldowns. Even the minimap can go away in most party/raid situations.

Last edited by Tanthalus : 04-05-11 at 03:52 PM.

04-05-11, 03:48 PM   #657
Tanthalus
An Aku'mai Servant

Probably more than one method to achieve that. Think cast spark.

04-05-11, 04:11 PM   #658
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

You really should learn the function of the edit button.

04-05-11, 10:07 PM   #659
Maxen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Since we have started to do 25 man, I went back to my old centralized layout. Nothing really original, but works pretty well for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_040511_211416.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	5954  

04-05-11, 11:37 PM   #660
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What you've done is very unique and the fact that it uses a simple design with a simple legible font makes this a great UI to play with for easily finding information on the screen.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post

To be honest this game does not require a lof of graphical feedback. Depending on your rool, a healer would require the most, and DPS the least. All you really need to see, is relevant health bars and debuffs your current class can clean and important cooldowns. Even the minimap can go away in most party/raid situations.
You cannot really state that as fact. Opinion perhaps, but not fact. Each individual player decides what information they need to see on the screen. What class they are matters not.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » UI Feedback Thread