07-24-16, 11:22 PM   #1
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking Inspector Gadget

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to release the v0.1 of my addon (gulp!) and was wondering if y'all could take a quick look at it and give it a once over for conflicts obvious bugs. Functionality wise, code wise it is still cludegy and has snippets from here and there.

Available @ https://github.com/ChrisNolan/InspectorGadget/ until I figure out release stuff.

Ever wanted to know what mount that guy next to you was riding? Type /ig mount -- want to ride it too? /ig mount clone. Should make it so much easier to fill Dalaran with felstalkers or transmog mounts.

Coming soon will be appearances inspection too. There is a small button added to the inspect frame next to the 'view in dressing room' which will dump the appears to chat. This will change to be a paper doll type frame showing all the items soon.

Any suggestions on a way other than the slash command for the mount stuff? It is easy enough to macro but don't want to exclude certain levels of users who wont remember the command and who don't know how to make a macro.

Thanks!

07-25-16, 12:13 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just FYI, there is already an addon with that name.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...torGadget.html

(Not sure if it currently works.)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-25-16, 01:24 PM   #3
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

Doh! How'd I miss that. That's what I get for thinking myself soooo clever ;-)

07-25-16, 01:25 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Chief Inspector Gadget?

07-25-16, 01:41 PM   #5
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

I'm bouncing around just 'InspectGadget' (drop the 'or'), or 'InspectorGadgetzan' (but my engineering skill might not be high enough ).

07-26-16, 02:35 AM   #6
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

InspectHisGadget(s)

07-26-16, 09:11 PM   #7
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

haven't re-named it yet, but much much closer to release.

Here is a screen shot of the new tab added to the Inspect Frame.

You can see what mount the person is on, with a link to the mount journal, and you can see all the appearances they are using for their currently look. The icons are the icons of the appearance, rather than the equipped item and you can ctrl-click individually to see what they'd look like on you, and the text name can be clicked to launch the wardrobe screen. The wardrobe that comes up will show you the item if you can equip it.

It is currently available for review @ https://github.com/ChrisNolan/InspectorGadget/ if you're so inclined, I'd appreciate any feedback on my first addon since 2.2.

07-27-16, 08:36 AM   #8
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

I've renamed it -- https://github.com/ChrisNolan/InspectorGadgetzan

and I've posted it up @
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Gadgetzan.html
awaiting approval.

07-27-16, 10:40 AM   #9
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

That name!

07-27-16, 11:14 PM   #10
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Ok, spent a while playing around with this tonight and, heh, I had more fun with it than I want to admit to but I do have one suggestion: this positively cries out for minimap/ldb access to inspect, mount. (Feel free to shoot me a PM if you haven't worked with that before)

07-27-16, 11:27 PM   #11
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

Thanks for the feedback VincentSDSH!

I have 3 or 4 tabs open on my browser reading up on just that. I admit figuring out the right library or tool to use to simplify the integration of it is a tad daunting atm. A recommendation/suggestion on which way to go about it would be very welcome.

Got bogged down in refactoring tonight - along with a family Firelands run.

07-28-16, 01:31 AM   #12
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

libDataBroker and libDBIcon work well together and both are fairly easy to set up. You can see an example of their use in Executive Assistant (link in .signature).

Personally, I'm rather fond of the Ace framework b/c of the shared resource aspects (and a lot of jiggery-pokery I don't have to fiddle with) but you only need LibStub for the aforementioned libDataBroker and libDBIcon.

Again, feel free to PM.

07-28-16, 04:46 AM   #13
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

PMed you a zip w/ LDB and Minimap icon code added (basic implementation) -- I needed a break from coding a module for ExecAssist.

You'll want to add a stall to allow for GET_ITEM_INFO_RECEIVED to come in. If you do an item lookup via ID it'll query the server if you don't have the item cached and you have to wait for that event (arg1=item data is received for) before you proceed or otherwise safe-handle the nil. A really blunt way to do this is GetItemInfo() to a table for everything and if you get returns, call your usage routine; otherwise, watch the event for missing data and call the usage routine when the table is properly filled -- as I said, really blunt (but it could be worse: at least you know the itemID exists and don't have to deal with telling the user they typed in something wrong)

07-28-16, 08:15 AM   #14
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

Thanks for the patch! That's most excellent. I'll work it in later today.

I was looking at "LibInspect" last night for ideas on how to deal with the GET_ITEM_INFO_RECEIVED stuff and yeah, it just stores the list of the results, if it didn't get enough of them, it gets the missing ones again. My kludge last night after deal with a typo that was making my event handling not work at all and making me think I couldn't' do it that way instead (confidence in the environment isn't there yet) I just kludged it and rather just wait half a second with C_Timer.After and figured not too many people would use the slash command. But now that it is on the LDB button it'll be a much more used feature I think and I should be less kludgey. Also if it is nil even after that it'll just be blank - not ideal - maybe I should change the icon to some error type thing instead of just making it look like they aren't wearing any pants.

I released those as 7.0.3.2 last night.

07-28-16, 11:19 PM   #15
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

Using a bunch of Ace3 libraries the addon now has a minimap & LDB access to it's commands, as well as an Interface Options panel where you can turn on or off the minimap, and re-enable the 'pickup' mount ability on report.

Bug fixed when launching wardrobe collection as well.

07-30-16, 08:44 PM   #16
Hiketeia
An Aku'mai Servant

New feature -- the 'Mog Log'

'MogLog' Know when you unlock *any* transmogrification appearance, not just the epic ones, and tell your friends.

* Report on new appearances
* Use "Inspector Gadgetzan" chat frame if one exists
* Addon name not show in special chat
* Share automatically new appearances with party
* tweaking new appearances messages

It seems like I'm stuck when an item is removed from the collection. I get the event, but it doesn't contain any information. The game itself will give a message, but it is with ERR_ global strings which I believe means they aren't in the FrameXML at all (and my searching of them as agreed).

My other thread about the ScrollingMessageWindow -- thanks for the tip! I'll implement in a future update I think, but I was going strong on getting this out - and doing a few raids to get it with the family ;-) Gotta get a good screenshot

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » Inspector Gadget