12-25-07, 02:37 PM   #1
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
Research Results: Preliminary Findings

Fellow Players,

After a couple of months, me and my students were able to collect data on 606 WoW players with regards to their demographics and also their motivations, choices, behaviors, and experiences in the game. Given that we were not really attempting to obtain a representative sample, but rather, one where certain associations between variables could be made, this made for an excellent database for our purposes. Our sincere thanks to those who participated and also to those who maintain these forums.

As promised to the participants, as well as to the WoW community as a whole, we are now starting to share with you some of our findings in:

http://www.vademecum.com.br/thewowcognitiveproject/

Of course, we are posting the results as we produce them, which means that every now and then something new will be added. Also, the comments we make are simply a first impression. The more complete works will be made available within the next few months, once they are finished and translated into English.

We will appreciate any comments, criticisms, or interpretations any of you may have regarding our findings, with the promotion of good discussions on the topics studied being one of the main reasons why we intended to share our results in the first place.

We will also do our best to perform any type of analysis you may feel curious about (e.g., "Could you tell us if people who play Priests tend to be older than other players?"), though it will depend on our schedules and on the number of requests.

Wyart

P.S.

Needless to say, access to the results through the website linked above is 100% free and no type registration is required.
12-25-07, 03:42 PM   #2
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Definitely interesting stuff to read. Would be nice to see this broken up by location as well. Hope to see more soon.
12-25-07, 05:13 PM   #3
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
ReverenD,

Thx for the comment. We have a whole lot of variables to check... Do you have any particular one you would like to see how it relates to nationality?

Wyart
12-27-07, 04:10 PM   #4
Sithraza
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Nice, finally get to see the results.

Since you offered, I would like to know which professions different classes predominately took as their main two.

Btw, quick spelling error, the title is "WoW Propject", I assume you are trying to say "WoW Project" or is there a meaning behind Propject?

Great work
12-27-07, 10:28 PM   #5
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
Sithraza,

The quick answer for your request is:
  • Druids: Leatherworking (44%) and Skinning (44%)
    Hunters: Mining (43%) and Skinning (43%)
    Mage: Tailoring (67%) and Enchanting (54%)
    Paladin: Mining (65%) and Blacksmithing (34%)
    Priest: Tailoring (54%) and Enchanting (34%)
    Rogue: Herbalism (33%) and Alchemy (29%)
    Shaman: Skinning (40%) and Mining (32%)
    Warlock: Tailoring (57%) and Enchanting (43%)
    Warrior: Mining (63%) and Blacksmithing (60%)

A few more comments are made on the website.

And thx for pointing out the typo. I think I've corrected it now.

Wyart
12-27-07, 11:09 PM   #6
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cool stuff.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Research Results: Preliminary Findings