08-14-09, 02:51 AM   #1
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Marble Bar textures.

Out of random curiosity does anyone have or know where i can find marble style bar textures? Been working on a UI and its taking on a decidedly roman sort of feel (i dont really plan things i just start fiddling and see where they go hehe) and i think some good marble textures would finish it off nicely.

Heres a pic of it for the curious:

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-14-09, 05:01 AM   #2
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I think some of the SharedMedia libaries will have what you're looking for. Do a search for Shared Media.
08-14-09, 09:54 AM   #3
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I could make some for you if you don't find what you need. A lot of different types of marble though here's a quick one I just made..

08-14-09, 10:40 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Ive got everything in shared media and about 12 additional status bar textures that arent in there. Appreciate the effort though.

to Limb0:
As for what type of marble im thinking the sort of cold sterile marble you see in mausoleums and so on. The sort of 'traditional' white or slightly off-white with thin black and gray veins.

This link has a pic from a site that sells the stuff. Didnt want to use an img link on the forums since its for a business. Something along those lines. The other reason for white is for colorization purposes. So i can tweak the overall look. No particular orientation on the veins.

I appereciate your offer very much and would like to take you up on it. My skills at drawing are shall we say slightly above a 3rd grader =P Im great at manipulation terrible at creating from scratch.

Thanks much.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-14-09, 12:53 PM   #5
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Right on, just some quick ones a little more geared towards what you described..

similar to your pic

one I'd like

raw version of the green marble

note:The grey is pretty standard for most bars, and addons where these statusbars are used by SharedMedia will color them properly according to your settings, so pretty much the tga versions are ready to be put into your bar libraries without any further alterations.

(these bars are 256x64.. the most popular size is 256x32)

let me know if I'm on the right track..

Last edited by Limb0 : 08-14-09 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added info about sharedmedia
08-14-09, 01:54 PM   #6
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I have that texture. It's called Wisps.tga. Gimme a minute and I'll upload it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wisps.zip (4.0 KB, 594 views)

Last edited by Syxx : 08-14-09 at 01:56 PM.
08-14-09, 02:28 PM   #7
Caellian
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Limb0 View Post
Out of curiosity, what software do you use to make those textures ?
08-14-09, 03:36 PM   #8
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Adobe Photoshop can do that, the GIMP too(for free but I'm not really used to it)

What you can also do is screenshot some texture, load it into photoshop, resize it to power of 4, and saturize it to zero. Then you can export it to tga or png(BLP2PNG).
08-14-09, 03:58 PM   #9
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Caellian View Post
Out of curiosity, what software do you use to make those textures ?
I use Photoshop CS3, haven't upgraded for a long time. I use stock photos or royalty free from years of collecting.. Always loved marble but never really used it for anything. The bars for my custom DHUD3 are made in Illustrator CS3 then assigned alpha channels and textures in Photoshop.
08-14-09, 04:26 PM   #10
Caellian
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thanks for the tips, i was using Paint Shop but i don't have the result i really want.
08-14-09, 04:31 PM   #11
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I actually prefer CS3 to CS4. We've had some issues with CS4 doing wonky stuff to previous work we've done. Plus I'm used to it and I hate change... unless we're talking WoW UIs then ... try and stop the change! RAWR!
08-14-09, 07:58 PM   #12
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

To Syxx. Thanks for the upload but the pick above is indeed my own UI so i have the textures. Appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness though.

To Limb0:
The second texture is perfect. Exactly what i was after. A clean white with thin black and gray veins.

I plan to use it for what is currently the sort of minty green bar (health) in the middle of the frame. Ill then recolor the border sticking with the wisps texture already pictured to approximate a gold leaf sort of color.

No idea if this will turn out decent at all. But if i get an idea i have to run with it till its been exhausted and left to collect dust in my collection of designs.

Do i need a file form you or do i just save the pics you posted? Or did you have a further elaboration you were thinking of? I'm always in to a good collaboration. Hell i might even upload this one lol.

Thanks again for all the help.

08-14-09, 08:04 PM   #13
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Ah, sorry I misread your post. Duh-me(tm)!
That'll teach me to scan read posts while I'm working.
08-14-09, 08:17 PM   #14
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Its all good. I felt the love.

08-15-09, 12:52 AM   #15
Praesagus
A Theradrim Guardian

unrelated to your question...that's a TERRIBLY good looking UI in my opinion
08-15-09, 01:35 AM   #16
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Ty muchly =)

I just started fiddling and thats what happened. It's usually how my UI's come about. I decided to remove all the numbers from it and go with big fonts for style. The roman feel (in my opinion its sort of roman) was purely accidental. lol

If enough people have an interest i may release my first compilation. Though i may not cause I'm really bad about keeping stuff not directly on my computer up to date.

08-15-09, 02:09 AM   #17
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Updated version. Just copied the middle texture to gimp. Added the alpha channel and saved as a tga.

The result:

Comments always welcome. Going to try and get a second texture that shows up a tad more goldish for the border/power bar deal.Tthis was the best I had at the time. I May just try my hand at manipulating the wisps texture. It has the highlights I want just not enough of them.

08-15-09, 02:18 AM   #18
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

You need to repair and a better ping.
08-15-09, 06:21 AM   #19
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
To Limb0:
Do i need a file form you or do i just save the pics you posted? Or did you have a further elaboration you were thinking of? I'm always in to a good collaboration.
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Updated version. Just copied the middle texture to gimp. Added the alpha channel and saved as a tga.
Sounds like you got it alright, looks good.

I'm going to be updating my UI today after I test some things, and the bars will be available within its SharedMedia_MyMedia.

(positive input)
I'd suggest tweaking out the SBF and Elk bars for UI fluidity, also not sure if Skada has the same ability (also would throw the dmg/healing meter to the edge somewhere cause it's not really that important except as reference after a fight), poss reduce the width of your target of target frame to give a "pyramid" look, make the Portrait background more transparent, set the LDB to hide until mouseover to keep it cleaner ...and unifying the chat font with your Stuf fonts.
08-15-09, 09:08 AM   #20
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Oh its far from finished. I was aiming to get the unit frames done specifically. I havent a clue what im going to do with skada, what buff frames and so on i plan to use. the one downside of the font I've chosen is that it literally has no lowercase lettering. Ill have to see if i can find something else to come close to it. I wont be using it anywhere else in the UI. Ill be hiding the rest of the elements including docking station and my chat frame.

The pyramiding idea sounds interesting. Ill have to give it a look and see if I like it. Had the protrait background about half that alpha in the previous shot. Still undecided if i prefer it that way. Only way i can truly ever tell if im satisfied with a UI is i have to start playing it non-stop. If i dont find my self staring at it constantly looking for something to fix then its generally "done" till i think of something interesting to change.

I'll be sure to post a pic of the finished product in the screen shot thread.

Thanks much for everything (including the feedback).

And syxx if i knew how to improve my ping beyond opening ports and so on in my rounter for wow i would gladly fix it lol.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Marble Bar textures.