08-21-21, 07:35 PM   #1
JahirahDK
An Aku'mai Servant

Question Fitzcairn's Explain-o-Matic offline?

Over the last week I've been helping a World of Warcraft newcomer by introducing him to the world of addons and assisting him with installing the Ajour addon manager along with some of the most popular mods like Bartender and Leatrix Plus.
In the process I told him about Macro Toolkit; a personal favorite of mine - I utilize a lot of macroing and I enjoy spending time experimenting and testing the limits of optimization...
To help him get started I recommended him to install Macro Toolkit as well as giving him the link to "Fitzcairn's Macro Explain-o-Matic" - the best tool available for learning how macros work as well as constructing new and/or more complex macros.

Last night, when I went to www.macroexplain.com I was met with a "Server Error" message...

I don't know how long the site has been unavailable, and I haven't been able to find any announcements or information from the author on the issue. I was wondering if anyone inhere has any information on whether or not the site is down permanently or if it's a temporary thing?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with info to share!

Last edited by JahirahDK : 08-21-21 at 07:38 PM.
09-05-21, 08:53 PM   #2
fitzcairncc
A Kobold Labourer
Hi Jahirah -

Thank you for reaching out! It makes me super happy that my little side project was helpful to someone.

I’ll take a look at resurrecting the site (looks like Google app engine just nuked it), but unfortunately no promises, as my current company is very strict about side projects. If it’s just a Google administrative thing then I’ll fix it, but if it takes more than that I’ll have to wait.

That said, I did release all the source (https://github.com/fitzcairn/Macro-Explain-o-Matic) if you or a friend would like to put it up somewhere else. I’d also be happy to transfer the domain name to whomever takes it over to support the WoW community.

Thanks,
Fitz
09-06-21, 04:06 AM   #3
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by fitzcairncc View Post
Hi Jahirah -

Thank you for reaching out! It makes me super happy that my little side project was helpful to someone.

I’ll take a look at resurrecting the site (looks like Google app engine just nuked it), but unfortunately no promises, as my current company is very strict about side projects. If it’s just a Google administrative thing then I’ll fix it, but if it takes more than that I’ll have to wait.

That said, I did release all the source (https://github.com/fitzcairn/Macro-Explain-o-Matic) if you or a friend would like to put it up somewhere else. I’d also be happy to transfer the domain name to whomever takes it over to support the WoW community.

Thanks,
Fitz
I was wondering what happenned to it. I used to use the site all the time back in the day but kinda dropped it when the macro api changed.
09-06-21, 04:09 PM   #4
JahirahDK
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by fitzcairncc View Post
Hi Jahirah -

Thanks,
Fitz
Hi Fitzcairn

I was dreading that it was more than just server problems and tried to ignore my gut feeling telling me otherwise - yet it's still devastating to have you confirm it... officially! It wasn't what I wanted to hear but I still appreciate the status update!

The macro Explain-o-matic is by far the best third-party utility resource developed to date. I've used it extensively and I can't begin to describe the gaping hole it's left or the loss it would be to see if disappear all together.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to dedicate my time and effort in maintaining the project going forward - unfortunately I don't posses the necessary skills to do so...
I've been trying to look into what kind of language and/or online service (?) support requirements are needed for it to work but so far I've only managed to make myself dizzy...
I've downloaded the "Master-file" from GitHub even though I don't have the first clue of how to use it

I don't have programming skills but if I can do anything to help you and the project get back on it's feet I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by JahirahDK : 09-06-21 at 04:13 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Fitzcairn's Explain-o-Matic offline?