05-30-09, 10:00 PM   #1
Ne0nguy
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon Interpretation

I can see the Minion has a few issues identifying what addons belong to each folder.
Is there anything that addon devs can put in the TOC file to help the detection process?
Maybe a url to the preffered download site?
05-31-09, 09:48 AM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I have considered this on several occasions, but I really don't want to force addon authors to have to do things to get it to detect properly.

Try out patch 2.2.1 and see if it's any better.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-31-09, 11:56 AM   #3
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Here is a screenshot of what Minon is doing with my Macaroon addons -

Minion sits in this state, unchanging.

A few things I notice -

My main Macaroon addon, Macaroon! itself, does not show on the list.

All the Macaroon addons look like they are waiting for Macaroon!, but most are contained in Macaroon: Xtras

Macaroon: Extensions is in it's own project.

And the others (Minimap, Units and News & Info) are working alpha versions not packaged anywhere.

As an author, I myself would not mind if the condition to upload files to projects is that WoWI inject a .toc line so that Minion can better determine where an addon is on WoWI. Others might mind, but it wouldn't hurt to put the question forward to the author community here.

Injecting a .toc line would also help identify if an addon is part of a compilation or not.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

Last edited by Maul : 05-31-09 at 12:00 PM.
05-31-09, 12:04 PM   #4
Ne0nguy
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
I have considered this on several occasions, but I really don't want to force addon authors to have to do things to get it to detect properly.
There are several addons that are hosted across multiple addon hosting sites, or may not host it on wowinterface at all, in which case the minion should not try and find a similar addon hosted here to 'update'/replace it with.
05-31-09, 12:27 PM   #5
wanderingDrummer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
My main Macaroon addon, Macaroon! itself, does not show on the list.

All the Macaroon addons look like they are waiting for Macaroon!, but most are contained in Macaroon: Xtras

Macaroon: Extensions is in it's own project.
Seems to be ok for me, I've got "Macaroon! by Maul" on my list (which points to Macaroon!) and I have "Macaroon: Cast Bars by Maul" which is actually pointing at Macaroon: Xtras
05-31-09, 12:53 PM   #6
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by wanderingDrummer View Post
Seems to be ok for me, I've got "Macaroon! by Maul" on my list (which points to Macaroon!) and I have "Macaroon: Cast Bars by Maul" which is actually pointing at Macaroon: Xtras
Woot!

But it does not work for me lol. And those are the same versions as available for download here on WoWI, for those that are available

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
05-31-09, 12:55 PM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Ne0nguy View Post
There are several addons that are hosted across multiple addon hosting sites, or may not host it on wowinterface at all, in which case the minion should not try and find a similar addon hosted here to 'update'/replace it with.
As of patch 2.2.1 this should not be happening anymore.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-31-09, 02:24 PM   #8
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Wanted to add something I noticed. The issue I posted seems to affect any addon that has a ":" in it's .toc title. The same thing is happening with Button Facade skins where it indicates "Waiting for ButtonFacade", so it may be a parsing issue.

I also have a series of un-released chat addons (Tungsten) and they all have .toc title entries of "Tungsten: <module name>" and they also indicate they are "Waiting for Tungsten"

06-01-09, 03:21 AM   #9
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Seems to be happening with other special characters in the .toc tile as well, for instance : "AddonName [<whatever>]".
06-01-09, 04:53 AM   #10
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

TBH i don't see why a unified method can't be adopted. As long as it's not a requirement to have. It would make things simpler on just about every site, as each site must use a UID to identify an addon internally. I think the curse/ace-Forge packager does this already.

Something as simple as:
Code:
##Hosted-Site-ID: <Site> : <ID>
Is all it would really take, and it's not like this is going to change often if at all. IE in my own addon "Sick Of Clicking Dailies" all i'd have to add to the toc is 2 fairly static lines.
Code:
##Hosted-Site-ID-1: wowi:7798
##Hosted-Site-ID-2: curse:sick-of-clicking-dailies
It would suffice for a cursory identification.

As for Sub Modules or LoD stuff just a simple:
Code:
##Parent Addon: <AddonName>
That way the toc file for the submodules reference the parent addon that it belongs to (Distributed package wise). For addons that are modules of another but are not explicitly packaged with it won't use this. Like Grid Modules, a lot are not part of the proper Grid addon, but follow it's naming method, these packages would not use this. But Grid's naturally packaged LoD Modules would.

Last edited by orionshock : 06-01-09 at 05:01 AM.
06-01-09, 05:25 AM   #11
Ne0nguy
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by orionshock View Post
TBH i don't see why a unified method can't be adopted. As long as it's not a requirement to have. It would make things simpler on just about every site, as each site must use a UID to identify an addon internally. I think the curse/ace-Forge packager does this already.
I agree with this.
If the updaters supported it I would quickly throw an extra few lines in my addons if it meant better detection and less false-positives.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Addon Interpretation