09-13-06, 02:21 AM   #1
Thomas2000
Banned
Question MSN/IRC/AIM plugin/addon??

Anyone heared of a plugin/addon that will make it posseabel to chat on MSN in side WoW?
09-13-06, 02:40 AM   #2
the23rdmagus
A Murloc Raider

Doesn't exist and never will. The WoW UI is incapable of interacting with instant messengers.
09-13-06, 03:04 AM   #3
dafire
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
there is xfire which work inside wow but it's not an addon and I think it sucks

http://www.xfire.com/
09-13-06, 09:14 PM   #4
Farook
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by the23rdmagus
Doesn't exist and never will. The WoW UI is incapable of interacting with instant messengers.
That's right, but there is at least something similar to that:

WIM (WoW Instant Messenger)

And yes, Xfire works inside WoW as well. ^^

Cheers,
Farook

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-13-06 at 09:19 PM.
03-06-08, 02:49 PM   #5
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Couldn't you just use some OCR code to interact with a backgound MSN/AIM window. I've seen something similar in another game.
03-06-08, 03:35 PM   #6
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Dagoob View Post
Couldn't you just use some OCR code to interact with a backgound MSN/AIM window. I've seen something similar in another game.
Well, you can recover wow's data this way, but wow cannot get data from other programs. Furthermore, any of these two options, whether you can find a trick to make them work or not, and correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't be allowed, and thus would most likely not be supported by this website or most of its coders.
03-06-08, 03:37 PM   #7
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Most chat programs have an 'always on top' option, you could turn that on.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
03-06-08, 03:55 PM   #8
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
dual screens ... and WoW in windowed mode ...

would be about the same thing ...

not a good idea to sit and chat during raids or so though =)
03-06-08, 04:02 PM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

WIM is an awesome addon, but it only works for whispers in game, not out of game.

Either Xfire or dual monitors would be the best bets probably.

03-06-08, 05:37 PM   #10
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Most chat programs have an 'always on top' option, you could turn that on.
This usually doesn't work over DirectX/DirectDraw windows. Like if a notification window comes up (ie AIM,Trillian) it will be all flashy and staticy (?) because of the refresh rate of the game. The only way I know of to do this is a direct overlay style message (ie Fraps,VoiceOverlay). There's a program for another game that is exactly what I'm talking about. I did not make this one, but I have used it extensively. PEAss - screenshot

Last edited by Dagoob : 03-06-08 at 05:43 PM.
03-06-08, 05:48 PM   #11
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It would be easy to have a tiny overlay window that would send/receive messags from a background window. This would not interfere with WoW's UI or client/server in anyway. Or it might be possible to make an addon for WoW that would read a file with the incoming chat info that could display in the WoW chat window, and respond by re-saving the file and post it to the AIM window. I could do all of this, but I'm not familiar with the WoW scripting. Hopefully soon I will make this possible, but for now I'm working on the Overlay method.
03-07-08, 03:01 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

It would be easy to have a tiny overlay window that would send/receive messags from a background window. This would not interfere with WoW's UI or client/server in anyway.
This is possible and the only way to see IMs if you are running WoW in full screen.

Or it might be possible to make an addon for WoW that would read a file with the incoming chat info that could display in the WoW chat window, and respond by re-saving the file and post it to the AIM window. I could do all of this, but I'm not familiar with the WoW scripting. Hopefully soon I will make this possible, but for now I'm working on the Overlay method.
Not possible in real time. WoW cannot interact with outside programs in real time. The only legal way that information can be past between WoW and the outside world is via the SavedVariables folder. WoW reads from the SV folder when you log-in and load the game. It loads the data into RAM however it does not interact with the SV folder during your session. The only time WoW writes to the SV folder is when either reload the UI (/console reloadUI or /rl if you have Ace2/Rock based mods installed) or when you log-out/exit the game.
03-07-08, 04:34 AM   #13
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Xinh View Post
The only legal way that information can be past between WoW and the outside world is via the SavedVariables folder.
And the chat log and combat log
03-07-08, 05:10 AM   #14
Jerricka
An Aku'mai Servant

The Logitech G15 Keyboard interacts with all instant messengers quite well, allowing you with a button press or two to view and reply to whoever is texting you.
03-07-08, 05:47 AM   #15
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Jerricka View Post
The Logitech G15 Keyboard interacts with all instant messengers quite well, allowing you with a button press or two to view and reply to whoever is texting you.
Not everyone has a G15, or the money to buy one

I didn't know that about WoW's functionality, like I said. Layrajha said it saves a chat log? Couldn't a program just parse that file and look for "/im hello world" or something? Or does that file only save on exit too? That sill wouldn't help with inbound messages though, although those could still be shown via Overlay. Or could an addon read a file from the SV folder when an event triggers?
03-07-08, 06:44 AM   #16
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

I didn't know that about WoW's functionality, like I said. Layrajha said it saves a chat log? Couldn't a program just parse that file and look for "/im hello world" or something? Or does that file only save on exit too? That sill wouldn't help with inbound messages though, although those could still be shown via Overlay. Or could an addon read a file from the SV folder when an event triggers?
The commands /chatlog and /combatlog respectively toggle the logging of chat and combat logs, in text files in your main World of Warcraft folders. Though, they ain't real time file writings, so you cannot use them for real time applications. It's however what WWS uses, if you want an example of what it can do.
03-07-08, 11:57 AM   #17
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hmm... What about using OCR code to look for "/im text" in the chatbox whenever the Enter key is pressed (or rather pressed a second time) for outbound messages, then using overlay to show inbound messages?

AutoScreen
This supposedly uses OCR to get a Hall of Fame or Global entry
03-08-08, 01:33 PM   #18
Llivavin
A Black Drake
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/7e3e/

basicly a g15 screen but with out he need to pay 40 more bucks

also

steam now works with an ingame overlay, which i for one finds to be 10 times less laggy/resource hoggy then Xfire

((theres even built in voice, built in chatrooms so you can talk to guildies who happen to have it as well. no moar vent servers anyone?))

google brought up
http://www.gameoverlay.com/
looks good but probably will drop your frames somewhat

Or you could go with the nice but probably not end up happening option:
keep posting on wow you want IM integration and Media player integration.

Last edited by Llivavin : 03-08-08 at 01:41 PM.
03-08-08, 02:12 PM   #19
Dagoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
That external LCD display is nice (and cheaper than a G15), but still poses the problem of everyone not having one or willing to pay for it.

As far as steam replacing Vent/TS, I don't ever see that happening. Maybe if you only talk to a few people, but when you have guilds of 20-40, VoIP on a regular connection would lag terribly.

I checked out GameOverlay a long time ago. It was decent, but 1) wasn't free, and 2) it was just overlayed images, you couldn't interact with them. And overlaying something large like IE or iTunes would probably drops your FPS alot.

It would be awesome to see Blizzard put IM/MediaPlayer/Web integration into WoW. I don't think anyone would ever leave the game then haha. There's already a few addons for music (MusicPlayer , SimpleMp3 Player). Or you could just use a tool I've already made (HotKey Mapper) that controls your favorite media player while it's in the background. This way you don't have to move your files around or make new playlists.

I think the solution I'm going to try for with the AIM/MSN problem is an Xfire style overlay, but just have it interact with IM windows in the background. The last thing anyone needs is another chat client
03-08-08, 02:49 PM   #20
Llivavin
A Black Drake
That external LCD display is nice (and cheaper than a G15), but still poses the problem of everyone not having one or willing to pay for it.

As far as steam replacing Vent/TS, I don't ever see that happening. Maybe if you only talk to a few people, but when you have guilds of 20-40, VoIP on a regular connection would lag terribly.

I checked out GameOverlay a long time ago. It was decent, but 1) wasn't free, and 2) it was just overlayed images, you couldn't interact with them. And overlaying something large like IE or iTunes would probably drops your FPS alot.

It would be awesome to see Blizzard put IM/MediaPlayer/Web integration into WoW. I don't think anyone would ever leave the game then haha. There's already a few addons for music (MusicPlayer , SimpleMp3 Player). Or you could just use a tool I've already made (HotKey Mapper) that controls your favorite media player while it's in the background. This way you don't have to move your files around or make new playlists.

I think the solution I'm going to try for with the AIM/MSN problem is an Xfire style overlay, but just have it interact with IM windows in the background. The last thing anyone needs is another chat client
just make a plugin for pidgin if your gonna do the overlay for IM windows. (( has just about every other chat protocall in it))

and Eww IE and Itunes

firefox and foobar2000 or songbird = win.

and i know steam won't ever replace vent/ts but, god one could only hope.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » MSN/IRC/AIM plugin/addon??