04-19-07, 10:45 AM   #1
joemawma
A Murloc Raider
Fubar Issues - Not displaying profile correctly on load, bad plugins

I've been using Fubar for some time, and it's been great - and trouble-free until recently. Within the last few days, it has begun to exhibit some strange behavior, and I was hoping for some suggestions. First, when I log in, my Fubars are blank - no plugins show. When I right-click and view the profile selected, the correct one is chosen - if I switch to another (say, default), then switch back, it displays correctly, sort of. By that, several plug-ins appear with changes: for instance, MailFu appears with both the envelope icon and text, despite the fact that "show text" is deselected. Another example is that MetaMapFu appears with its button attached to the minimap, even though I had it disabled altogether.

A possibly related problem is that some plugins have or had stopped working altogether. GarbageFu appears, but does not work - even a right-click to show options lists none, not even an option to disable. ItemBonusesFu and DurabilityFu had both shown similar behavior, but I deleted the .lua and .lua.bak files in the WTF folder for each, and they now work correctly. This approach did not work with GarbageFu.

Last note: I've used the update utility, so its likely that is when any changes might have occurred. My own (uninformed) opinion is that some dependency might have changed, causing the other problems, perhaps?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by joemawma : 04-19-07 at 10:50 AM.
04-19-07, 11:05 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Two questions:

1. Are you using embedded libs (with the libraries each addon needs inside of each addon folder) or standalone libs (with the libraries pulled out into the AddOns folder, for all mods to share)?

2. When you used the WAU, did you download with externals or without externals?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-19-07, 11:17 AM   #3
joemawma
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah
Two questions:

1. Are you using embedded libs (with the libraries each addon needs inside of each addon folder) or standalone libs (with the libraries pulled out into the AddOns folder, for all mods to share)?

2. When you used the WAU, did you download with externals or without externals?
Seerah, in the Addons folder, I only see CrayonLib and nine iterations of Periodic Tables 3.0. I would assume, then, that any others are imbedded. Also, I always download/update with externals, although I must admit I have no idea what that means (feel free to enlighten me ).

Thanks for your help!
04-19-07, 11:31 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You have so many PT3 folders because WAU unpacked it. You can put them back inside the main PT folder if you want, but this way each individual folder will be loaded when needed instead of the whole library.

With externals means that it includes the libraries with the addon's download (just like if you were downloading off of this site or the files page at wowace). The updated versions of the libraries are pulled and included inside your addon's folder that uses them.

Without externals means that those libraries are not pulled and included with the addons themselves. This is what you would use if you were using standalone libs - since the libraries are in the root AddOns folder, WAU sees that you have them installed and updates them there along with your addons as it goes through the list.

The reason why I asked you those questions was to see if you had the most recent versions of your libraries. If you were using embedded libs, but updated without externals, then those libs inside your FuBar folder, for example, would not get updated along with the addon itself. Sometimes having updated addons but out-of-date libraries can cause some issues. Especially if there was a bug fix or a change to the library.

I'm not exactly sure why you are having this problem, as I'm not familiar with all of the ins and outs of Ace2 mods and what libraries do, how to identify problems, etc. Are you getting any errors at all? Try updating again, this time go into the preferences in WAU and have it delete before extracting - this will do clean installs of all of your addons, by deleting the old version before unpacking the zip of the new.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-19-07, 12:04 PM   #5
joemawma
A Murloc Raider
You have so many PT3 folders because WAU unpacked it. You can put them back inside the main PT folder if you want, but this way each individual folder will be loaded when needed instead of the whole library.

With externals means that it includes the libraries with the addon's download (just like if you were downloading off of this site or the files page at wowace). The updated versions of the libraries are pulled and included inside your addon's folder that uses them.

Without externals means that those libraries are not pulled and included with the addons themselves. This is what you would use if you were using standalone libs - since the libraries are in the root AddOns folder, WAU sees that you have them installed and updates them there along with your addons as it goes through the list.

The reason why I asked you those questions was to see if you had the most recent versions of your libraries. If you were using embedded libs, but updated without externals, then those libs inside your FuBar folder, for example, would not get updated along with the addon itself. Sometimes having updated addons but out-of-date libraries can cause some issues. Especially if there was a bug fix or a change to the library.

I'm not exactly sure why you are having this problem, as I'm not familiar with all of the ins and outs of Ace2 mods and what libraries do, how to identify problems, etc. Are you getting any errors at all? Try updating again, this time go into the preferences in WAU and have it delete before extracting - this will do clean installs of all of your addons, by deleting the old version before unpacking the zip of the new.
Thanks, I'll try your suggestion when I get home, plus I'll check for errors. Thanks for the information as well!
04-19-07, 01:06 PM   #6
asengul
A Murloc Raider
actually i'm going to make a guess and say you just updated to the new fubar-bagfu

this is simple to fix, as many ppl have had this issue

go back to an older version of bagfu

the author included some bad libs in there and it messes up several of the plugins and he's trying to say it the user's fault instead of his bad coding
04-19-07, 01:16 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
joemawma said that he used the updater, not downloaded from here.

edit: I just read the comments from BagFu. I am not having any issues with that addon, but I use external libs and always get my ace mods from wowace, as I use the updater. Anywho, it is not phyber's coding skills or his bad choice at including libraries. It is that you have different versions of the ace libraries in your addons folder. A copy in the BagFu folder, a copy in the FuBar folder, etc, etc, etc. WoW only loads one copy of each library. The advice that phyber gave you will, most likely, fix your issue. Please do not try to flame authors when you don't know why they give you the advice that they do.

Last edited by Seerah : 04-19-07 at 01:23 PM.
04-19-07, 01:29 PM   #8
Pipoca
A Kobold Labourer
PerformanceFu

hi there,
i try to keep all my addons up to date using Ace Updater and files.wowace.com but for some reason teh latest version of PerformanceFu is showing Out of Date. I tried reverting to an older version but it still says Out of Date....
....is this something that is being worked on?
FuBar is an awesome addon and Ace2 rocks, just hate having to select "load out of date addons" :/
i hope i'm not asking something that's alrady been asked a million times but honestly i couldn't find it anywhere else

thanks a million
04-19-07, 02:18 PM   #9
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Pipoca
hi there,
i try to keep all my addons up to date using Ace Updater and files.wowace.com but for some reason teh latest version of PerformanceFu is showing Out of Date. I tried reverting to an older version but it still says Out of Date....
....is this something that is being worked on?
FuBar is an awesome addon and Ace2 rocks, just hate having to select "load out of date addons" :/
i hope i'm not asking something that's alrady been asked a million times but honestly i couldn't find it anywhere else

thanks a million
uhh, looks bad doc! I think we need a strecher! Umm click "load out of date addons"
It's painless
04-19-07, 02:28 PM   #10
asengul
A Murloc Raider
joemawma said that he used the updater, not downloaded from here.

edit: I just read the comments from BagFu. I am not having any issues with that addon, but I use external libs and always get my ace mods from wowace, as I use the updater. Anywho, it is not phyber's coding skills or his bad choice at including libraries. It is that you have different versions of the ace libraries in your addons folder. A copy in the BagFu folder, a copy in the FuBar folder, etc, etc, etc. WoW only loads one copy of each library. The advice that phyber gave you will, most likely, fix your issue. Please do not try to flame authors when you don't know why they give you the advice that they do.

actually i could rightly blast any mod author that statically links libraries as it is a bad coding habit to have

however instead of doing the easy thing of saying "ok let me look into that" he blames everyone else. which is also a bad coder habit as well.

also including libraries that are not being fully used by everyone is also another bad coding habit.

i could go on, and sure i could be considered flaming but frankly it's bad coding and testing and i'm just calling him out on it
04-19-07, 03:13 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by asengul
actually i could rightly blast any mod author that statically links libraries as it is a bad coding habit to have

however instead of doing the easy thing of saying "ok let me look into that" he blames everyone else. which is also a bad coder habit as well.

also including libraries that are not being fully used by everyone is also another bad coding habit.

i could go on, and sure i could be considered flaming but frankly it's bad coding and testing and i'm just calling him out on it
I'm not quite sure what you mean by statically linking libraries..... I'm no coder, so maybe that's some jargon I'm not familiar with. But the latest versions of the libraries were used when phyber uploaded BagFu and the same as for TopScoreFu. It looks to me as if he took the zip straight from wowace and uploaded here for additional download. Now, there were updates to a couple libraries between when the two mods were updated, since they were done about 3 days apart. They are also more recent versions of libraries than people may have on their systems from other ace downloads that they get from this site. WoW only loads one copy of a library.

I don't see him "blaming everyone else" in his post. He merely stated what the problem was and told you of a way to fix it.

I'm also not sure what you mean by your third statement.......

What you and the other posters experienced is an unfortunate side effect that can happen with Ace addons when there are varying versions of libraries present. The libraries are embedded for the user's convenience - you don't have to deal with the libraries. If you really wanted to, you could switch to standalone libs. I and many others do this. The Ace addons on this site (at least the ones that are also available through wowace) are not always updated everytime something changes. Look at ag_UnitFrames for example. The last update to this site was from back in December. Some authors are always on top of things and upload here with every update. Phyber is one of them.

If you want to make sure that you always get the latest versions of your ace mods and their libraries go to wowace.com or use the WoWAceUpdater. Some of those versions are "beta" quality, though, that's why they're not posted here. But don't get all worked up over addons for a game when the way that someone tells you to fix a problem isn't what you wanted to hear.

I apologize if I sound harsh, and I apologize for accusing you of trying to flame phyber. But you really are being too hard on him without fully understanding the situation.

Edit: Sure, phyber could have gone through and tested to see how BagFu and TopScoreFu work when combined with all different types of mods and varying versions of libraries. But remember that he's not getting paid for this. He's just another player like you who is taking the time to keep a mod updated for public use.

Last edited by Seerah : 04-19-07 at 03:15 PM.
04-19-07, 08:08 PM   #12
Debz
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
I use a lot of ace2 addons, but frankly I know nothing about them and how they work, other than download, unpack here, and config them in game with various slash commands or gui's.

i'm sorry to bother you Seerah, but would you mind going a bit more into this standalone libs stuff.... I'm always up for improving my performance

If it helps I also use the wowace updater, and always update externals (although I had no clue what it meant until this post, I figured better safe than sorry)
04-19-07, 09:27 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Debz
I use a lot of ace2 addons, but frankly I know nothing about them and how they work, other than download, unpack here, and config them in game with various slash commands or gui's.

i'm sorry to bother you Seerah, but would you mind going a bit more into this standalone libs stuff.... I'm always up for improving my performance

If it helps I also use the wowace updater, and always update externals (although I had no clue what it meant until this post, I figured better safe than sorry)
Using standalone libraries means that you install (and update) the libraries just like regular addons. This way, you only have one copy of each library in your AddOns folder, they can all be kept up to date easily, and your loading time is a little shorter (though not significantly - sometimes it's not even noticeable) because WoW doesn't have to determine which version of a library it needs to load.

Using the WoW Ace Updater (WAU) is the easiest way to install and maintain standalone libs.

1. Back up your Interface folder and open up the WAU program

2. find !!!StandaloneLibraries in the list of addons in WAU, check it and install only that one - WAU will unpack the empty lib folders that are inside into your AddOns directory

3. Go to WAU's preferences and have it Skip Version Check and Delete Before Extracting (you can change these back later) - this will update all of your Ace addons (even if already at most recent) and delete the old folders and their embedded libs before installing the new ones

4. Update All Installed AddOns - this will download them without externals by default, and will fill the previously empty lib folders with the most recent versions of all libraries

Tada! Not too hard. I only recommend it though if people feel real comfortable doing this and if they feel that they will really benefit from it. If you only run a few Ace mods and never run into library issues, then don't bother.

Here is the WAU wiki page and more info about using !!!StandaloneLibraries: http://wowace.com/wiki/WinAceUpdater
Here is another thread in this forum on the topic: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ght=standalone

edit: since people seem to still be linking to this post... With the new breed of WAU, switching to external libraries is even easier.
1. Download and install !!StandaloneLibraries
2. Open up WAU - in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see that WAU has automatically detected !!SAL and set your default to "without externals"
3. Go to File -> Reinstall All Addons (this will redownload *all* of your addons and delete the old versions, thus getting rid of the embedded libraries)

Last edited by Seerah : 06-27-07 at 10:21 AM.
04-20-07, 12:09 AM   #14
Debz
At the moment I'm using 42 Ace2 addons, according to the WAU so I'll try this out.

Also I tend to get a few error messages at start up from ACE2 libs, they never affect my gameplay, so I just ignore them, usually something to do with only being able to specify something once... So i'm hoping this will fix that too

Thanks for the tip

Last edited by Debz : 04-20-07 at 12:13 AM.
04-20-07, 12:16 AM   #15
Debz
Hmm one thing I noticed while doing step 2 above, it installed a lot of stuff I didn't have before. I assumed this was normal and carried on.

Its now updated 85 addons, of which 42 are mine :s Was there really 43 "addons" in that one package?

Also I'm getting a lot of Error messages...
Example:
Error: C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\PeriodicTable-3.0\PeriodicTable-3.0-InstanceLootHeroic - The directory is not empty.

(note periodic table.. is that part of standalonelibs? cause i didn't have that before)

Last edited by Debz : 04-20-07 at 12:19 AM.
04-20-07, 09:32 AM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
All of the libraries will now be in your addons folder like regular mods. (Note, the next time you run the WAU, the PeriodicTable-3.0 folder will be unpacked and you'll have all of those in your addons folder as well - this is so that they are only loaded if a certain addon needs them, since addons that use the PT3 library may not use the *whole* PT3 library.) That's why there are more folders now with names you may not recognize. If you go to your addon window on your character selection screen, all libraries are named Lib:library name so you can get a better idea of what they are. Some of those libraries may not be used by any of your addons, but the game will ONLY load a library when an addon that needs it asks for it. So, if you have a library checked off to load, but no addon uses it, the game won't load it.

I count 39 libraries in my directory. If you count the !!!StandaloneLibraries folder, that would be 40 new folders. Not quite sure what the other 3 are on your end. Perhaps WAU unpacked something you had before (like oRA2), but then it wouldn't count as separate addons....

I'm also not sure why you're getting that error... Try running the updater one more time.

04-20-07, 10:14 AM   #17
Debz
tried running the updater again a few times, each time i get that error for ALL periodic table files.

I used to get it for Cartographer all the time too... I have to uncheck it from the update addons or it messes up and I get errors on startup :s
04-20-07, 10:21 AM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Maybe it's something to do with unpacking them.... I don't get those errors, and I'm not quite sure what it means. Try this - toss all the cartographer and PT3 folders back inside the main ones (make sure you don't put the mining/herbalism or other standalone cartographer folders in there) and then create folders named Cartographer.nounpack and PeriodicTable-3.0.nounpack - when WAU sees the .nounpack folders, it won't try to unpack them.

I'm not sure if that will fix your issue.... If all else fails, you make a back up of your Interface folder before we started all this.

04-20-07, 10:38 AM   #19
Debz
I have "periodic Table" "Periodic Table 2.0" "Periodic Table 3.0" and a lot of other periodic table folders. Should i Put them all into the periodic table folder? or the periodic table 3.0? (i'm guessing 3.0 but making sure before i do it)

PS - yes I took a backup
04-21-07, 06:25 AM   #20
bertlezat
A Kobold Labourer
Using standalone libraries means that you install (and update) the libraries just like regular addons. This way, you only have one copy of each library in your AddOns folder, they can all be kept up to date easily, and your loading time is a little shorter (though not significantly - sometimes it's not even noticeable) because WoW doesn't have to determine which version of a library it needs to load.

Using the WoW Ace Updater (WAU) is the easiest way to install and maintain standalone libs.

1. Back up your Interface folder and open up the WAU program

2. find !!!StandaloneLibraries in the list of addons in WAU, check it and install only that one - WAU will unpack the empty lib folders that are inside into your AddOns directory

3. Go to WAU's preferences and have it Skip Version Check and Delete Before Extracting (you can change these back later) - this will update all of your Ace addons (even if already at most recent) and delete the old folders and their embedded libs before installing the new ones

4. Update All Installed AddOns - this will download them without externals by default, and will fill the previously empty lib folders with the most recent versions of all libraries

Tada! Not too hard. I only recommend it though if people feel real comfortable doing this and if they feel that they will really benefit from it. If you only run a few Ace mods and never run into library issues, then don't bother.

Here is the WAU wiki page and more info about using !!!StandaloneLibraries: http://wowace.com/wiki/WinAceUpdater
Here is another thread in this forum on the topic: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ght=standalone

Thanks Seerah, I did exactly what you said and I am now, once again, a happy fubar/ace2/cartographer user. I was having the same problem as the other posters but now everything works.

In the future do I need to install without externals and do I need to leave the preferences in wau changed to what you recommended or should I change them back to the defaults?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Fubar Issues - Not displaying profile correctly on load, bad plugins