12-01-09, 08:40 AM   #21
Freebaser
A Molten Kobold Bandit

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The talk about memory usage drives me nuts too. It has been explained multiple times that it has little to no effect on your system. Yet we still have interfaces and addons based on it. I average over 30mb in my personal ui and since I don't have a dinosaur computer, I can't tell the difference in performance versus the default ui. Minimalistic compilations shouldn't mean "My ui is less than 1mb".

I was drawn to oUF for the design capabilities and thats what users should take advantage of. GUI UFs are great for most, but you are at the mercy of the author's in-game config. So thank you haste for giving us more options and control.

Sorry for the continued derail...
12-01-09, 10:27 AM   #22
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I recall about 18 months or so ago the grand fascination with every addon being available in an Ace version. Now just replace the word Ace with the phrase low memory or minimal. It's the what all the cool kids do.

And don't you know Torhal blp's are made with pixie wings and fairy dust so they are magical. No memory. Cause the magical in game meters say so.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-01-09, 10:29 AM   #23
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I recall about 18 months or so ago the grand fascination with every addon being available in an ACE version.
fixed

(neither Ace nor Lua are acronyms, folks )
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-01-09, 01:19 PM   #24
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I recall about 18 months or so ago the grand fascination with every addon being available in an Ace version. Now just replace the word Ace with the phrase low memory or minimal. It's the what all the cool kids do.

And don't you know Torhal blp's are made with pixie wings and fairy dust so they are magical. No memory. Cause the magical in game meters say so.
If I remember right, the Ace fad was actually about memory too it just wasn't until that fad went away that authors shifted from "My addon is better cause it uses Ace" to "My addon is better because it does nothing and so it uses less memory."

Last edited by Shadowed : 12-01-09 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Apparently fad is not spelled with an e at the end
12-01-09, 02:03 PM   #25
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, my AddOns are better because...oh, wait. I don't give a **** if anyone actually uses them or not!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-01-09, 02:35 PM   #26
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Well, my AddOns are better because...oh, wait. I don't give a **** if anyone actually uses them or not!
Hear hear!
12-01-09, 03:16 PM   #27
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
fixed

(neither Ace nor Lua are acronyms, folks )
I don't get it, if it's not supposed to be an acronym then why did you fix it by making it all caps like it should be an acronym?
12-01-09, 03:45 PM   #28
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
i use addon that i like, ok i might check cpu usage but memory?
Are slot of ppl running systems with 1 gb or less memory ? :O

I might have missed something, but my fps are fine everywhere.....
12-01-09, 04:22 PM   #29
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I don't get it, if it's not supposed to be an acronym then why did you fix it by making it all caps like it should be an acronym?
Because most of the people who think that using an Ace-based AddOn is the best thing since sliced bread almost always refer to it as ACE. Seerah was being funny.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-12-09, 07:59 AM   #30
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
and that's what I love about Torhal.
12-12-09, 08:43 AM   #31
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I'm not going to pretend I know anything of Addon memory usage.
Though this is what I've noticed:

[unbiased research]
I've played with loads of different UIs with different Addon Memory Usages.
The amount of Addon Memory has NEVER changed my game performance. No matter if it was below 1MB or above 40, i've always had the same amount of FPS, latency, same amounts of lag, etc.

The ONLY difference I've noticed in general is, that the more Addon Memory the longer the UI takes to load. But we're not talking minutes here, only seconds. Though that might also be because of the amount of addons needed to obtain 40MB...
[/unbiased research]

Conclusion: Who cares about AddOn Memory as long as the Addons work and look good. The only reason the value even exists is to show off and pretend you know something about it. That's why my UI contains an Addonmemoryviewer.

Think of "lightweight" as real weight. You don't want to be overweight but underweight is just as bad.
12-12-09, 10:56 AM   #32
Mechrior
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

the only thing you have to watch is the 2Gb memory limit for WoW itself because they wont or cant release a 64bit version for the newer systems.

12-12-09, 11:51 AM   #33
Taryble
A Molten Giant

A 32-bit app can actually address approximately 3.4 GB of memory, not 2 GB. WoW itself uses less than 1 GB of memory - I usually see it hovering around 500 MB to 750 MB - so unless your addons are using over 2.5 GB of memory, you're probably fine. :->
12-12-09, 05:17 PM   #34
Mechrior
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

its a know fact that wow CANNOT access more than 2gb of memory before crashing even WITHOUT addons, it seems to be more and more apparrent since the last patch though.

..::EDIT::..

Infact I just found a blue post confirming this fact, http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...43889302&sid=1

On one machine since the last patch it will slowly rise up to 1.75gb and then crash out with a mapmem.cpp error and I do NOT use addons on that machine which has 6Gb of ram.

Even a fresh install of the os and wow didnt change it..... maybe an hour or two in and the same error or something similar.

Last edited by Mechrior : 12-12-09 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Additional information
12-15-09, 10:31 AM   #35
Amenity
Originally Posted by Mechrior View Post
its a know fact that wow CANNOT access more than 2gb of memory before crashing even WITHOUT addons, it seems to be more and more apparrent since the last patch though.

Infact I just found a blue post confirming this fact, http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...43889302&sid=1

On one machine since the last patch it will slowly rise up to 1.75gb and then crash out with a mapmem.cpp error and I do NOT use addons on that machine which has 6Gb of ram.

Even a fresh install of the os and wow didnt change it..... maybe an hour or two in and the same error or something similar.
Hm, that blue post has got me kinda curious as to the new GFX changes. Here's the main post on them:

We have added a new experimental feature to the D3D graphics engine to improve texture management (particularly on Windows XP). This is currently disabled by default and can be changed by adding the following line to your Config.WTF file:

SET gxApi "d3d9ex"

If you own an ATI video card and have experienced random Error 134 crashes, especially flying out of Dalaran, this mode will help you. It may also help some of the more elusive Out of Memory crashes that can occur on other hardware.

Also, the configuration variable ‘textureCacheSize’ is no longer used with the new backend. To set the cache size for the new backend, adjust the ‘gxTextureCacheSize’ variable. For example, to allow 128MB of GPU memory to be used for textures, add the following line to your Config.WTF file:

SET gxTextureCacheSize "128"

If ‘gxTextureCacheSize’ is set to 0, the client will try to pick a reasonable default value for your settings.
Intended as bugfixes, or is there a possibility of a performance increase? I've got 2gb of GPU RAM across two CrossfireX'd cards...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Need a ligher UI help please