Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
11-10-10, 09:03 AM   #1
Maziel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Minion vs Curse Client

So, I have just discovered this little toy called Minion today.

Finally got it up and running.

I have been a long time user of the Curse Client and wished there was a WoWInterface plug in for the Curse Client, but alas, there is not... which has led me here.

Minion dections is all wrong for me.

It is detecting older versions of addons that I have installed.

For example, it's telling me to grab Auctionator 2.6.2 as it is a new update, but I'm running Auctionator 2.6.8

Wants me to grab Armory 9.1.19 when I'm using an alpha revision 375...

Want me to update to the BaudBag fix I uploaded here whilst the author was away, but the author has returned and is currently maintaining the addon on Curse only.

Things like that.... make me very reluctant to click update when most of what is listed to update is actually a downgrade for me.

Is there no way to check for alpha releases and beta releases of files like the Curse Client?

Is there no way to validate version numbers of the addon with the information within the .toc files or cross checking the information with what is available on Curse.com? eg: Check WoWInterface, Check Curse, find out which is the latest, display that as link to update addon to.

~

Anyhoo, I understand it is in beta. The addon is a nice idea but would have been even nicer if WoW Interface created a plugin for Curse Client instead of attempting to re-invent the wheel that is already turning nicely for most of us.

For now, I'll have to stick with Curse Client. For a couple of reasons really.
1) The files are more to date (alpha and beta release checking abilities) and
2) The GUI seems to be more intuitive for me, being able to check changelogs and descriptions of files etc without even leaving the client nor opening a web browser.

I hope the above is taken as helpful commentary from a user to hopefully aid you in the direction you wish to take Minion. I hope the above isn't taken as negative feedback only. As for Curse integration, I would like to see Minion detect if Curse Client is running and if it is, verify its addon information with that client instead of just telling me an update is available when it is a downgrade.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep tabs on Minion, but for now it doesn't aid my addon updating as I would like it to.

[Edit]
I was reading up on the whole WoWMatrix vs Curse & WoWInterface thing earlier. If the two big guns can stand up again WoWMatrix, why don't the two big guns get together to create their own WoWMatrix Client which searches both sites and displays the latest release available? Just makes sense and we know you both can stand together on things, why not a addon downloader?

I never used WoWMatrix, but it seems like the *idea* was a sound one, but the way they did it without approval was wrong.

Anyhoo, I'm done, bed time for this aussie. 1.20am >_<

Last edited by Maziel : 11-10-10 at 09:20 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion vs Curse Client