06-23-08, 10:49 PM   #1
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Updating my UI

Ok so i recently redid my UI its spartan UI with some of my own added. However I feel that some of the addons I'm used too are getting surpassed in memory usage configurability etc.. I feel like a lot of my addons are old because I've been putting a lot of them into every UI I've used.

In Combat

Out of Combat

The addons i currently have installed are:
Auctionater (great addon was in the spotlight last week love it)
Bartender 3
BaudBag (this came with Spartan UI I'm not 100% sold on it I've never heard of anyone else using it. anyone know other good bag addons?)
BigWigs
Cartographer (+all its pieces obviously)
CloseUp (another that came with Spartan UI i dont even know what this one does)
DrDamage
eePanels2 (i dont have any panels in there but just in case you know)
ElkBuffBars (i dislike this addon for some reason. Anyone have any alternatives?)
EQCompare
Examiner
FuBar
FuBar_ClockFu
FuBar_DurabilityFu
FuBar_GuildFu (i hadnt heard of this one before Spartan UI but i really like it)
FuBar_MoneyFu
FuBar_PerformanceFu
FuTextures
Lightheaded
MobInfo2
Omen
Prat
Prat_Signon
Quartz
RatingBuster
Scorecard
sct
SCT_Cooldowns
sct_options
sctd
sctd_options
Spartan UI
Violation
XLoot
XLootGroup

I kept getting an error with Doublewide so i had to remove it. Are there any addons that you have as a MUST have? I'm always looking to improve my UI.
Thank You ^^
06-23-08, 11:44 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What don't you like about ElkBuffBars? It looks like default settings - try customizing it some before you diss it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-08, 08:51 AM   #3
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Well my major problem with EBB isnt how it looks but rather I constantly forget to refresh my own buffs (I know this is my fault). Perhaps theres another addon that could remind me in some way to refresh buffs like say Battle shout?

Or is this an option of EBB that i cannot find?
06-24-08, 09:07 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
EBB does not do any reminders. It is merely a display addon.

I, personally, use SmartBuff: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...SmartBuff.html

There's also http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fReminder.html or http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ffWatcher.html and SimpleSelfRebuff on http://files.wowace.com
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-08, 10:58 AM   #5
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Well i downloaded AnnoyingBuffReminder so I'll give that a try when servers come back up.

Thanks for your help.

Any other addons anyone can suggest?
06-26-08, 07:53 AM   #6
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Well I love AnnoyingBuffReminder i dont think I've lost battle Shout since i got it. And i have customized EBB and its alright now. I replaced Prat with Chatter and couldnt be happier. and I got MonkeyQuest to track my quests. And finally group calender is starting to be used by my guild so i picked that up.

I do have a new problem: http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...608_010430.jpg

I never grouped in my new UI before last night abd as you can see theres an issue with my party unitframes. It seems to be built into Spartan UI and i cannot seem to change it in anyway without messing with code. Does anyone know a way to fix this without screwing inside the code?

I've e-mailed the guy who runs Spatan UI asking for some help already but I really like the rest of the compilation. =/ Any advice?
06-26-08, 08:17 AM   #7
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

It's slightly off-topic but I want to ask: why do people keep using SCT? Since Blizzard implemented their own built-in scrolling combat text, SCT became obsolete. Furthermore, it looks awful. So why?
06-26-08, 08:21 AM   #8
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

I agree i dont like the look of my SCT at the moment. I've just always added it to every UI I've had its kind of a habit. I need to customize it but I have been very busy and just havnt gotten around to it.

Also another problem i just got: I downloaded doublewide again and got this error again: http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...608_103530.jpg

Anyone know what that is?

Last edited by Zokudu : 06-26-08 at 08:38 AM.
06-26-08, 08:37 AM   #9
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

So, for you it's just a habit? Hmm... I wonder, whether it the same way for all that people who put SCT in their mod packs. It seems for me that people can just put any random crap in until the bag overfills and bugs start appearing.
06-26-08, 08:39 AM   #10
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Maybe this error is associated with the latest patch. But I've used Double Wide code about a week ago and there were no problems with it. So most likely it's caused by your addons mess. :-)
06-26-08, 10:06 AM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Mitranim View Post
It's slightly off-topic but I want to ask: why do people keep using SCT? Since Blizzard implemented their own built-in scrolling combat text, SCT became obsolete. Furthermore, it looks awful. So why?
Because, Blizzard's sct isn't customizable, in most people's opinions they didn't do as good of a job at it, etc, etc. Some people like the default Blizzard fct. Others prefer to have options, to have it do/show more for them, change fonts, color, placement, cooldown notifications, sounds/warnings, etc.

If Blizzard's fct made other things obsolete, we would not still have SCT, MSBT, Parrot, and one or two others floating around.

06-26-08, 01:13 PM   #12
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Are you down on all people with cluttered UIs or just mine?
Cause I know i cant run a minimalist UI I'm not that great at remembering keybindings.

Anyway i decreased the opacity on my chat log and on monkeyquest so it looks a lot less cluttered then that picture above.

And what mess of addons? Everything listed there I use except for eepanels (atm) and close-up (wtf does this do? i think ill delete it)

Gonna customize my SCT tonight get it looking better then default.

Snything else you guys want to suggest?
06-26-08, 03:59 PM   #13
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Mitranim: i would never use Blizz's FCT. no thank you. i'll stick with the customizability and superior functionality of MSBT.

Zokudu: if i may suggest...

nQuestLog > MonkeyQuest
SmartBuff (though this may be overkill for a warrior) > ABR
MSBT > SCT (and various and sundry plugins)
Baggins > Baudbag

doesn't EQCompare just popup a tooltip to compare your currrently equipped item to one you are looking at? doesn't the default Blizz interface do this now as well?

i think your party frames problem looks to be caused by your screen resolution. does SpartanUI support your specific resolution?

Seerah: didn't ckk let Parrot die with 2.4? i've been too busy lately to read the wowace forums lately...aside from growing a little weary of the elitism and the intolerance for the unwashed masses flocking to it.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
06-26-08, 05:49 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Parrot did get pushed to the backburner with 2.4 - there are only so many mods one person can patch up (and rewrite) in a short period of time. He was going to eventually do Parrot2, though - not sure if that is still that case. But fans have been keeping Parrot working, iirc.

06-26-08, 09:02 PM   #15
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Thank you Rigorous I'll take a look into all of those mods.

And about the screen resolution it says on the website: http://spartanui.com/

Support for any screen resolution which is why i was suprised to see this problem occuring and no commands to seemingly fix it. I'm hoping to get a reply soon about this problem because i cannot make my screen any larger =/

MSBT > SCT (and various and sundry plugins)
What are these plugins? I found the actual mod but I'm not sure what you mean by various and sundry plugins and i cannot seem to find anything about them on any of the 3 major mod sites.
06-26-08, 10:20 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, if it has support for your screen resolution, you're at the wrong UI scale. It looks like you have a UI scale of 1 (ie, "use ui scale" is disabled, or you've scaled it back up). Did you change that after installing? If so, don't. If not, then turn your UI scale down.

06-26-08, 10:29 PM   #17
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Don't you use LightHeaded along with DoubleWide? That's why I called it mess.

I've gone through this many times, installing countless addons and trying to get them working together. Eventually I came to understanding that Blizzard default is not that bad, and doesn't need anything besides few must-have addons, namely Grid, Auctioneer, DBM, threat meter (e.g. Omen), and damage meter (e.g. Recount). And maybe LightHeaded for quest support.

Though, that's my point of view. Trying to adapt my UI to "me", I eventually came to adapt myself.

Last edited by Mitranim : 06-26-08 at 10:31 PM.
06-27-08, 12:34 AM   #18
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
What are these plugins? I found the actual mod but I'm not sure what you mean by various and sundry plugins and i cannot seem to find anything about them on any of the 3 major mod sites.
Originally Posted by Zokudu
sct
SCT_Cooldowns
sct_options
sctd
sctd_options
i was basically referring to the fact that MSBT replaces ALL of these things and offers more functionality with easier configuration, imo. also, if you do a search for "SCT" here on WoWI you'll find a list of several more plugins, most of which can probably all be achieved in MSBT without additional mods.

don't get me wrong, SCT is a great mod that i used for a long time (/salute Grayhoof), i just think MSBT is superior.

and btw, Seerah probably right...probably a UI scale issue...

Last edited by Rigorous : 06-27-08 at 01:01 AM.
06-27-08, 12:38 AM   #19
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Mitranim View Post
Don't you use LightHeaded along with DoubleWide? That's why I called it mess.
how and/or why would that be a mess?

personally, nQuestLog+Lightheaded+a little configuration=never need to open Blizz Quest Log again.

take a look:

the quest info and Lightheaded popup on clicking the quest (mouseover a quest shows a description tooltip). the tooltip is just shown to demonstrate the hover functionality.
(...and yes, my UI is in transition )

Last edited by Rigorous : 06-27-08 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added ss
06-27-08, 01:52 AM   #20
Zokudu
An Aku'mai Servant

Some great additions rigorous. MSBT and nQuestLog (i did notice the clicking on a quest in nquestlog brings up a quest log very nice) worked out amazingly.

Smartbuff took some setting up but i have it working well. However it says i should be able to buff myself with the mouse wheel (that would be great) except that my mousewheel is set for zoom/unzoom.

Is there a way to unbind this?

Baggins is the only one I dont really like. I makes my inventory very confusing and i can barely find the stuff I'm looking for. I think i might go back to arkinventory becasue I'ma neatnick and dont need the sorting baggins does. (some items get repeated ugh its awful)

And about a scale problem. I didnt adjust anything with Spartan UI after i installed it. How would I scale it down to fit my resolution?

New Pic!

I didnt do an in combat one cause i thought about SSing it after i was in org getting ready to log but as you can se with the chatframe opacity down and nquestframe instead of monkey quest things look mcuh cleaner and open. I love it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Updating my UI