12-28-08, 05:57 PM   #1
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Silence Helicopter Noise Addon?

Does anyone know of, or is anyone willing to make, something that will completely silence the noise of the Engineer created helicopters? I recently created my epic copter and the noise is driving me insane lol.

Many thanks!
12-29-08, 12:17 AM   #2
Vranx
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Might as well silence the motorcycles too.
12-29-08, 01:32 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vranx View Post
Might as well silence the motorcycles too.
I haven't created one of those yet (not sure that I will). So far I don't stand still long enough in any zone for them to become irritating. However, farming Saronite in Sholazar Basin for 3 hours... the helicopter becomes quite irritating lol. I really wish they would link those sounds with Emotes so people could turn them off!
12-29-08, 01:44 AM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I would like this also.

On a related note, this would rock for the log in screen as well. Anyone else find that dragon as annoying as 2 year olds squeeling for attention?
12-29-08, 01:47 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I would like this also.

On a related note, this would rock for the log in screen as well. Anyone else find that dragon as annoying as 2 year olds squeeling for attention?
lol It's only annoying when you have to sit in a queue. But yes, I would use it if someone made it.
12-29-08, 02:31 AM   #6
Tungsten Spleen
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

well, this doesn't silence the helicopter noise, but it does silence the login noise:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ginScreen.html

Tungsten Spleen
12-29-08, 08:49 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tungsten Spleen View Post
well, this doesn't silence the helicopter noise, but it does silence the login noise:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ginScreen.html

Tungsten Spleen
Thank you!
12-29-08, 11:26 AM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Thank you!
Huge thanks for starting this topic!
12-29-08, 12:55 PM   #9
sensory
A Fallenroot Satyr

Aaah, finally an addon to disable the dragon spam!

Now someone needs to make an addon to remove all the obnoxious noises from the game so I'm not forced to mute. I'm thinking, train set noises, chopper, bikes, etc.
12-29-08, 05:41 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by sensory View Post
Aaah, finally an addon to disable the dragon spam!

Now someone needs to make an addon to remove all the obnoxious noises from the game so I'm not forced to mute. I'm thinking, train set noises, chopper, bikes, etc.
It is possible to change or even remove the Heli sounds. Just a mater of finding the name of the file and replacing it with a different one (or blank for no sound)

This is done the same way the addon mentioned above does it.

Just a matter of finding the name of the sound that the Heli uses.
12-29-08, 07:26 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well isn't that's a pisser... meh

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...08768203&sid=1

Disregard my post I guess =/
12-29-08, 07:41 PM   #12
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Well isn't that's a pisser... meh

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...08768203&sid=1

Disregard my post I guess =/
Not too sure it is considered modifying cause you are not modifying anything really. You using the actual game to do it. No hacking or editing of original files is going on.

WoW is designed to use a sound file in the data folder OVER the default one built in. So not too sure how this can be considered against any rule. If it was then they should have stopped this since it has been done since the games release.

But I could be wrong.
12-29-08, 08:08 PM   #13
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I don't see how this is against the rules, since the sound files are built into wow itself, but you have the possibility to modify the sounds through the sounds folder. I fail to see the common sense in making it able to modify something this easily (as opposed to hacking the MPQ files for actual models and stuff) and then making it against the ToS. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't make it possible to do this without modifying some MPQ file if it wasn't allowed tbh.
12-30-08, 01:31 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Actually, now that I've thought about it for a bit.. I think I'll let one of the forum admins here comment on it. I'm sure if it were not allowed in the game, then Cairenn would not allow it (sound files that quiet in game sounds) to be uploaded here for others to download. I know the one addon here that hides the gunshot sound has been around for a long time.
12-30-08, 04:25 AM   #15
Arabeth
A Black Drake

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Is it against the rules to remove specific sounds from WoW? Does anyone know? For example, let's say removing the sound your warlock mount makes when you mount up.
I think the Blizz poster was responding to the specific question (above, to save browsing to it) that was asked which mentions 'removing' sounds. If the game is designed, as Sepioth says, to use the sounds in the Data folder to override inbuilt sounds, then I can't see how adding a sound here would be a violation of the TOS as nothing is modified or removed and the game is operating as designed. It strikes me that this is equilvalent to addons which essentially override/replace the Blizzard UI for example without being destructive to the original code.

Of course the Data folder path could be a hole Blizzard forgot to fill but think they have!
12-30-08, 11:22 AM   #16
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Arabeth View Post
I think the Blizz poster was responding to the specific question (above, to save browsing to it) that was asked which mentions 'removing' sounds. If the game is designed, as Sepioth says, to use the sounds in the Data folder to override inbuilt sounds, then I can't see how adding a sound here would be a violation of the TOS as nothing is modified or removed and the game is operating as designed. It strikes me that this is equilvalent to addons which essentially override/replace the Blizzard UI for example without being destructive to the original code.

Of course the Data folder path could be a hole Blizzard forgot to fill but think they have!
It can't be something they "forgot to fill" since it has been there for like .. forever
Even if they forgot it at first, it would have been fixed already.
12-30-08, 12:20 PM   #17
Arabeth
A Black Drake

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
It can't be something they "forgot to fill" since it has been there for like .. forever
Even if they forgot it at first, it would have been fixed already.
Well, I wasn't being too serious about that but, I wouldn't put it past the experts to miss something ... as this article demonstrates! It took them 10 years to make that mistake. WoW hasn't been around that long.
12-30-08, 01:04 PM   #18
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
Yes it is possible, I use a file modding the sound of a fishing catch since years ago now, I didnt know it was against the ToS since you just have to create the correct directory path and filename nothing much, well , I have never been banned for this but if I do I will know why.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 12-30-08 at 01:08 PM.
12-30-08, 04:29 PM   #19
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm using the login screen silencer, and I'll continue to do so until banned. I feel homicidal when I hear that noise from the wyrmm or dragon (whatever it is). It drives me nuts.
12-30-08, 05:33 PM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I feel homicidal when I hear that noise from the wyrmm or dragon (whatever it is). It drives me nuts.
lol... I should use that for a sig tag haha.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Silence Helicopter Noise Addon?