07-10-09, 04:01 PM   #1
gmhowell
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Lightbulb Possible fix for jnlp problem on Mac OSX

I was updating some addons and checking the status on Minion today. Decided to google the problem I had where the jnlp was being opened in Dashcode instead of being opened by web start. Turns out it's not unique to Minion. It appears there was a problem with a recent update to Java by Apple. This of course goes along with the advice in the FAQ to reinstall Java, but for system components, it can be tough for us ignorant OSX users to figure out. Turns out the fix is woefully easy. Open /System/Library/CoreServices in the Finder. That's it. Open a folder.

Now we just gotta get that 'Internal Error' problem fixed.

(Seriously, good job guys on the updater. I know you're working on that bug.)

Last edited by gmhowell : 07-10-09 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Parenthetical at the end sounded too snarky in the original.
07-12-09, 06:35 PM   #2
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by gmhowell View Post
I was updating some addons and checking the status on Minion today. Decided to google the problem I had where the jnlp was being opened in Dashcode instead of being opened by web start. Turns out it's not unique to Minion. It appears there was a problem with a recent update to Java by Apple. This of course goes along with the advice in the FAQ to reinstall Java, but for system components, it can be tough for us ignorant OSX users to figure out. Turns out the fix is woefully easy. Open /System/Library/CoreServices in the Finder. That's it. Open a folder.

Now we just gotta get that 'Internal Error' problem fixed.

(Seriously, good job guys on the updater. I know you're working on that bug.)
Thanks for the info, but this didn't fix the problem.

(Well, it didn't fix the problem that Minion can't write to the /var folder, which may or may not be the same problem.)
07-22-09, 12:30 PM   #3
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
problem I had where the jnlp was being opened in Dashcode instead of being opened by web start.
the problem that Minion can't write to the /var folder
Different problem.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
07-24-09, 07:15 PM   #4
dude051
A Kobold Labourer
Actually to fix the issue where the jnlp file does not open with Java Web Start is to re-install the Java update for 10.5. This is a known issue with the update that is automatically applied, but running it manually fixes the issue:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ation_updates/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Possible fix for jnlp problem on Mac OSX